Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: Union 30 Live

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    ^
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    This beastly thing is now on clearance rate at 100 bucks + 20 shipping (for U.S. customers). The sloppy quality may be more bearable at that price for some people.

https://www.musicglue.com/gonzomulti...ersary-edition
    I admit I almost pulled the trigger on this, at this price. But I decided against it - it takes up too much space for me, and most of it likely wouldn't get repeat listens, due to the repetition and sound quality. So I'd end up likely just parting with it somewhere.

I tried to pull the trigger, but the site kept rejecting my card. I found out later that my bank was rejecting my card because the seller is an international business. I contacted the bank.to remove the block, which they said they did, but the seller still wouldn’t accept the card.

Sold out, maybe?

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Sad that I’m still tempted by this price even knowing everything I know about this release and having all ready downloaded all of the included shows for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    Sad that I’m still tempted by this price even knowing everything I know about this release and having all ready downloaded all of the included shows for free.
    It's an addiction. Fortunately, there is help:

Yesfansanonymous.com

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    It's an addiction. Fortunately, there is help:

Yesfansanonymous.com
    Thanks for sharing.

Just curious if anyone can provide guidance:

Is there any 1 of the shows here that clearly has the best/great audio quality? I listened to snippets from a few, and none had a quality I would be eager to listen to for the duration of a 2 hour show.

Thanks for any thoughts, I guess I am old enough where bootleg-quality sound doesn’t hold much allure anymore…

- Chris

^^^ There are some good radio broadcasts in the set but only the Shoreline set has professional audio and video. So I wouldn't buy the box if I were you. You can get Shoreline separately for under $20.

Quote Originally Posted by cpuglise View Post
    Just curious if anyone can provide guidance:

Is there any 1 of the shows here that clearly has the best/great audio quality? I listened to snippets from a few, and none had a quality I would be eager to listen to for the duration of a 2 hour show.

Thanks for any thoughts, I guess I am old enough where bootleg-quality sound doesn’t hold much allure anymore…

- Chris
    If I were you then I would go to Forgotten Yesterdays and grab the 05/17/1991 Oakland, CA show labeled Western Union for a reasonable sounding complete performance (two source stereo audience recorded) then I would grab one of the radio broadcast versions of 06/29/1991 from Wembley. It’s not the complete show, but it’s a good overview. Just make sure you get one with the full length “Awaken”. Lastly, instead of the whole box set I would just get this: https://www.amazon.com/Shoreline-The...ps%2C83&sr=8-1
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Also, you might give a listen to 04/09/1991 Pensacola, FL as it was the first show of the tour and there were a few things played that got dropped.

The eons are closing
    Also, you might give a listen to 04/09/1991 Pensacola, FL as it was the first show of the tour and there were a few things played that got dropped.
    Indeed - it's an interesting show for that alone.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Thank you very much, downloading now :-)

If I were you then I would go to Forgotten Yesterdays and grab the 05/17/1991 Oakland, CA show labeled Western Union for a reasonable sounding complete performance (two source stereo audience recorded) then I would grab one of the radio broadcast versions of 06/29/1991 from Wembley. It’s not the complete show, but it’s a good overview. Just make sure you get one with the full length “Awaken”. Lastly, instead of the whole box set I would just get this: https://www.amazon.com/Shoreline-The...ps%2C83&sr=8-1
    So, is the Shoreline show a soundboard audio and pro-shot video? I thought these were all audience recordings?

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    So, is the Shoreline show a soundboard audio and pro-shot video? I thought these were all audience recordings?
    Shoreline is professionally filmed and recorded with audio mixed by Trevor Rabin back in the early 90s. It’s the only non-bootleg source piece of the package. Denver, which was in the Union Live release from 2011 but not in the big box for some reason, is professionally shot, but the audio is some kind of wonky monitor mix, not nearly as bad as QPR, but along those lines. There is about an hour of the Denver show also mixed by Rabin for a TV special. There are also radio broadcasts from Wembley and Stuttgart, Germany, not complete shows, but they sound good. Burgettstown, PA is an incomplete soundboard and Philadelphia is marked as a soundboard on Forgotten Yesterdays, but I’m skeptical. Everything else is audience recordings, some better and some worse. It’s kind of weird to me that they didn’t include Oakland if they were using audience recordings, because it is the best sounding one IMHO.
    Last edited by Frumious B; 06-12-2023 at 06:30 AM.

Note that if you are getting shows from Forgotten Yesterdays that the audio ratings from 1 to 5 are ported over from yessongs.nl and some of the ratings are a little bit suspect and subjective. There are certain shows rated a 5 that sound like a 3 to me at best. So I recommend listening to samples first, deciding what you really want and what sounds good enough to you before going hog wild.

The 1991 Mike Millard recording from The Forum in Inglewood, CA is also pretty great. Available at Forgotten Yesterdays.

Amazon UK currently have this set for £41. maybe time to pull the trigger at this price.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B08...b_b_prod_image

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpybunker66 View Post
    Amazon UK currently have this set for £41. maybe time to pull the trigger at this price.

That's about £40 more than you should spend on it.

It's a collection of recordings downloaded from the web. You can just download your own recordings. You'll get better labelled results and fewer errors.
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpybunker66 View Post

Depends how big of a fan you are. If like me you try to be a Yes completist then I would do it. I bought the box for about $70 US a year ago. There are still several shows I haven't listened to, but I listen to Wembley and Yokohama a lot, and I like Pensacola though the sound is not good.

Gonzo did do some mastering work on the shows. They sound better than the raw boots. How much better? A little... Not enough to convince someone who is not ok with bootleg sound. So be warned that there are several shows with B-/B sound. It seems they added some poor-sounding shows because there was also (audience) video available. I think that was a mistake. Had they taken the 10 best sounding boots, cleaned them up, and packaged those, I think the set would have been far more accepted by fans. Frumious mentions Oakland above, and there is also a Nagoya show that is beautifully recorded and should have been in there.