Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Union 30 Live

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I can't find one but I am hoping that we'll get a single or double disc, like they did with the Progeny box

The wonky search engine couldn't find this
    The sound quality of the different shows is so all over the place that a highlights set probably wouldn’t be much of a listening experience. At best I would hope for a rerelease of the two disc set with most of the Shoreline show. That is what the vinyl they are putting out is with the addition of some bonus material on the fourth LP.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

I think the set-list was a tad safe/greatest hits but the Wembley show was enjoyable. Everyone was playing well, Anderson was on top form.

I see only some of the Wembley show was broadcast on the BBC. Is it known whether the full thing was recorded by the BBC?

I have to make a correction to one thing I posted above. The Wembley show was not recorded by the BBC. It was recorded by Westwood One for the Superstar Concert Series.

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    This is really not a new release. It is a super duper “deluxe” reissue of the Union Live set that Gonzo put out in 2010 with a ton of extra packaging and a bunch of bootlegs that you can all ready get for free. They are touting it as a new release, but if you examine what is included and read the promo copy carefully there is no new content at all from official sources.
    I took a look at the PR and I believe you are correct. It is Union Live "Deluxe" minus Denver plus a bunch of stuff they may have pulled straight off yessongs.nl. My conjecture on that last part, but not too unrealistic a possibility.

Yes official seems to have endorsed this release at least on their FB page. They posted the PR blurb in full with no commentary.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I took a look at the PR and I believe you are correct. It is Union Live "Deluxe" minus Denver plus a bunch of stuff they may have pulled straight off yessongs.nl. My conjecture on that last part, but not too unrealistic a possibility.

Yes official seems to have endorsed this release at least on their FB page. They posted the PR blurb in full with no commentary.
    I think I have around 100 Yes boots, all downloaded from yessongs.nl. Even the boots I all ready had I downloaded again just to make sure I had the best available version of every recording.

The tour felt like the stuff of rock god legend to me. It was like a real life comic book superhero crossover event...Steve Howe and Trevor Rabin on the same stage! Two drummers! Two keyboard players! Bring it on. “Awaken, gentle mass touch!” You all know the drill.

I’d be beyond thrilled with the release of a single professionally mixed complete, uncut show in audio and video. 30 discs, and they still manage to not do that. Unless/until that shows up I’m totally fine with Union Live supplemented by bootlegs.
    Same here. Union was my first proper Yes show, though I did see the ABWH tour.

The Union in-the-round tour was a grand spectacle, and they played great at the show I saw on the first leg (L.A. Forum). The summer tour wasn't in the round and was noticeably sloppier at the show I saw (Pacific Amphitheater). That was just before the Shoreline Amphitheater show that was professionally taped.

I collected a ton of Union tour boots back in the day, including Say Yes. I need to download the speed-corrected version; that's the best-played show in my collection from that tour. Hard to know what survives of the Westwood One tapes from Wembley, but a proper release of it would be an auto-buy for me. The money spent putting together this BS box thingy could have been put toward finding/licensing/refurbishing the Wembley tapes, assuming they still exist.

Ah, but it's Yes. The eternal land of missed opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    Same here. Union was my first proper Yes show, though I did see the ABWH tour.

The Union in-the-round tour was a grand spectacle, and they played great at the show I saw on the first leg (L.A. Forum). The summer tour wasn't in the round and was noticeably sloppier at the show I saw (Pacific Amphitheater). That was just before the Shoreline Amphitheater show that was professionally taped.

I collected a ton of Union tour boots back in the day, including Say Yes. I need to download the speed-corrected version; that's the best-played show in my collection from that tour. Hard to know what survives of the Westwood One tapes from Wembley, but a proper release of it would be an auto-buy for me. The money spent putting together this BS box thingy could have been put toward finding/licensing/refurbishing the Wembley tapes, assuming they still exist.

Ah, but it's Yes. The eternal land of missed opportunities.
    Steve Howe probably has better tapes of the Union show in his garage that we will never, ever get to hear now because this thing is gonna steal all of the thunder for anything from that tour. I had kind of hoped that Yes would push back a little against this release, but it looks like that isn’t going to happen given that they’ve shared the box promo on their official social media. I guess there’s still hope for a snarky comment from Bill Bruford, but that’s about the best that can be hoped for now.

Having never paid YesWest live that much attention, I quite liked Rabin's solo showcase. I can hear the McLaughlin influence he's talked about there.

TBH I'd rather Rhino focus on 70s live releases, though. The Word Is Live is an insight into what is the archives beyond that Progeny box (which I do not own). And who knows, maybe there's more from 1977 beyond what's on Yesshows.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Having never paid YesWest live that much attention, I quite liked Rabin's solo showcase. I can hear the McLaughlin influence he's talked about there.

TBH I'd rather Rhino focus on 70s live releases, though. The Word Is Live is an insight into what is the archives beyond that Progeny box (which I do not own). And who knows, maybe there's more from 1977 beyond what's on Yesshows.
    The most obviously Mahavishnu influenced bits in regular YesWest songs would probably be the intro to “Changes” and that first acoustic solo in “Shoot High, Aim Low”.

The most obviously Mahavishnu influenced bits in regular YesWest songs would probably be the intro to “Changes” and that first acoustic solo in “Shoot High, Aim Low”.
    I might add "I'll Be Waiting" to that list.

The Changes intro was actually an Alan White contribution.

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    I might add "I'll Be Waiting" to that list.
    Honestly I don’t hear it on “I Am Waiting”. Rabin’s main guitar part reminds me of Clapton from “Wonderful Tonight” more than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post
    The Changes intro was actually an Alan White contribution.
    Alan White wrote “duh duh duh duh...duh duh..duh duh” but listen to that cleanish Rabin guitar that darts around across the top of that rhythm. That sounds very McLaughlin inspired to me.

Anyone else think there should be some kind of international mandate explicitly requiring that the “Make It Easy” intro proceed all performances of “Owner of a Lonely Heart”? I’ve been playing some Union boots and I definitely feel that way.

It beats them playing all of Make It Easy, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I’d take “Cinema” in a pinch like on House of Yes, but the other post Rabin performances where they launch into the song cold kinda sound naked without that fanfare.

https://shop.abbeyroad.com/*/*/Pink-...ne/6VJM0000000

Meanwhile Pink Floyd is charging close to $300 for cardboard with no music content at all. This Union box is not a good deal, but it’s certainly a better deal than that.

Anyone else think there should be some kind of international mandate explicitly requiring that the “Make It Easy” intro proceed all performances of “Owner of a Lonely Heart”? I’ve been playing some Union boots and I definitely feel that way.
    TBH I was surprised it was still being played in the early 90s.

I'd only really bothered with the 9012Live video (and the handful of tracks on The Word Is Live) from the Rabin era. I think 90125 is great but I don't play Big Generator, Union or Talk very much, so didn't seek out anything from those tours.

TBH I was surprised it was still being played in the early 90s.

I'd only really bothered with the 9012Live video (and the handful of tracks on The Word Is Live) from the Rabin era. I think 90125 is great but I don't play Big Generator, Union or Talk very much, so didn't seek out anything from those tours.
    I’m a fan of YesWest. Big Generator was my entry point into Yes. So it’s long been a source of annoyance for me that there is no full length live release featuring YesWest. This is where yessongs.nl has been very helpful because I was able to find nice sounding and complete live recordings from 90125, Big Generator and Talk so now I am covered. I mentioned this before, but to my ears the absolute best boot of YesWest I have found is 02/27/1988 Oakland, California, the Don Pearson recording. Anyone wanting live YesWest absolutely must add this recording to your library. It’s great.
    Last edited by Frumious B; 03-05-2021 at 09:18 AM.

I'll give it a listen at some point. A pity that 'I'm Running' and 'Final Eyes' aren't in the set, as I think those two songs achieved a neat balance of Yes' 70s/80s sound. 'Rhythm Of Love' and 'Shoot High Aim Low' are good. The rest of the album I don't much care for.

So it’s long been a source of annoyance for me that there is no full length live release featuring YesWest.
    I was going to suggest you were forgetting the 9012Live video, until I looked it up and realized that it was a lot less complete than I remembered.

I mentioned this before, but to my ears the absolute best boot of YesWest I have found is 02/27/1988 Oakland, California
    Ha! That was the only YesWest show I ever attended!
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I assumed there were more complete (or thereabouts) multitrack/soundboard shows from the 80s/early 90s circulating than there actually were. There's probably more from the 70s!

The eons are closing
    I'll give it a listen at some point. A pity that 'I'm Running' and 'Final Eyes' aren't in the set, as I think those two songs achieved a neat balance of Yes' 70s/80s sound. 'Rhythm Of Love' and 'Shoot High Aim Low' are good. The rest of the album I don't much care for.
    They dropped those two from the set after 4-5 shows into the tour. All the boots from that first week or so are cr@p.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I like Make it Easy.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I’m a fan of YesWest. Big Generator was my entry point into Yes. So it’s long been a source of annoyance for me that there is no full length live release featuring YesWest. This is where yessongs.nl has been very helpful because I was able to find nice sounding and complete live recordings from 90125, Big Generator and Talk so now I am covered. I mentioned this before, but to my ears the absolute best boot of YesWest I have found is 02/27/1988 Oakland, California, the Don Pearson recording. Anyone wanting live YesWest absolutely must add this recording to your library. It’s great.
    I've got a ROIO from Talk tour that really hits the mark for me. Might be Orlando.. great setlist and the band was really smoking that night.. I saw the BG tour and thoroughly enjoyed that evenings performance. This was early in the tour so a few songs they ended up dropping later were included that evening.

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    I've got a ROIO from Talk tour that really hits the mark for me. Might be Orlando.. great setlist and the band was really smoking that night.. I saw the BG tour and thoroughly enjoyed that evenings performance. This was early in the tour so a few songs they ended up dropping later were included that evening.
    There are a lot of decent Talk tour recordings because at many venues there was a localized FM broadcast of the gig. What are folks really gonna do with that other than try to record it?