Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Union 30 Live

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    I like it because it's a different way of doing things. It's almost the Yes members opening for themselves. But I say that as someone listening retrospectively. I don't know what is was like being at a show live.

Henry
    To me it was like the concert equivalent of that scene you always see in “caper” type movies where the leader figure goes around getting the gang back together for that big “last job”. So you start with Anderson, then Howe, Wakeman and Bruford. It was a glimpse into the talents of the individuals as they came back together as a group. I really enjoyed it live as it was only my second Yes concert and my first time live with Howe, Wakeman and Bruford. I had seen the Big Generator tour the prior year. So I got to see a full YesWest show, the full ABWH show and then the Union tour all within my first five years of listening to Yes.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Listening to the full Stockholm 1989. Unfortunately, I hear some digital artefacts (probably down to heavy-handed noise reduction), creating a sort of 'warped tape' effect. I've even heard official releases with this. Some of the John Lennon Anthology set springs to mind. Ugh.

I do think the opening of this ABWH set was a little odd. Yes never had such a low-key opening to their shows.
    “Perfect” with Levin doesn’t seem to exist as far as I can tell. Fortunately, “excellent” and “very good” do exist, which is more than can be said for some tours. “Perfect” is that laserdisc rip with the complete show and pristine sound, but that has Jeff Berlin of course.

Even though it's only an hour, a very honourable mention MUST go to the BBC broadcast of ABWH's show at the NEC in Birmingham. I don't know about the Gonzo release as I haven't heard it but I have a recording of a 2014 re-broadcast which I ripped from the BBC player myself which is my go to for live ABWH.

Rick is all in on this set:

IMO the Union tour was basically a train wreck. I'm sad that the real classic YES, Anderson Howe, Wakeman, Squire and Bruford didn't do a reunion before the untimely death of Chris. I feel blessed that I saw them live many times in their heyday. Good memories of a once giant of prog. Now they are a pathetic joke. Even the last shows with Jon in 2005 were great compared to today's crappy band. Oh well, nothing lasts forever.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    IMO the Union tour was basically a train wreck. I'm sad that the real classic YES, Anderson Howe, Wakeman, Squire and Bruford didn't do a reunion before the untimely death of Chris. I feel blessed that I saw them live many times in their heyday. Good memories of a once giant of prog. Now they are a pathetic joke. Even the last shows with Jon in 2005 were great compared to today's crappy band. Oh well, nothing lasts forever.
    The show I saw in Vancouver wasn't a trainwreck. Everyone in Yes at that time were fairly young and were playing and singing great. It was a really good setlist and as a bonus, the Vancouver show was in the round. They all seemed to be having fun playing together, even mr grumpy Steve Howe. If you saw them on an off night, that would be unfortunate. The classic lineup you mentioned was on stage for at least one song- Long Distance Runaround- so, I'm glad to have seen that.

I like it because it's a different way of doing things. It's almost the Yes members opening for themselves. But I say that as someone listening retrospectively. I don't know what is was like being at a show live.

Henry
    It was much more effective in person than it comes off on the recordings. A bit of a star turn by each of them, I suppose, but it worked.

The show itself was awesome in places and awkward in others. Some of the ABWH material seemed flat in live performance, and Bruford's electronic drums were a bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Rick is all in on this set:

Hey...it comes with a bonus copy of Peter Gabriel III!

Is the Shoreline dvd in this set complete, or is it the common edited version? This version has nearly the entire show. It's only missing the drum duet and the beginning of Changes is muted.

Quote Originally Posted by elliottnow View Post
    Is the Shoreline dvd in this set complete, or is it the common edited version?
    It's the usual edited version as released previously.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

It's the usual edited version as released previously.

Henry
    About the solo guitars on "Your is no disgrace" by Steve & Trevor, from 8:31 to 13:59.... not sure... if I were on my fifteens years old I could probably be impressed but I'm on my fifties, so going back to the those guitars solos... non sense, are they any good? I'm not a guitar player, and not sure where are they going anyway. Any body thinking different or can provide an explanation?

Quote Originally Posted by rickm View Post
    About the solo guitars on "Your is no disgrace" by Steve & Trevor, from 8:31 to 13:59.... not sure... if I were on my fifteens years old I could probably be impressed but I'm on my fifties, so going back to the those guitars solos... non sense, are they any good? I'm not a guitar player, and not sure where are they going anyway. Any body thinking different or can provide an explanation?
    It’s part of the moment that totally kicked ass live, but doesn’t necessarily translate that well to a recording 30 years after the fact. Not too long ago I listened to a large chunk of a Union boot in a park outdoors on a Bluetooth boombox right around dusk and the combination of the ambience and the Yes music wafting through the air did a surprisingly effective job of evoking my memory of the actual concert. So I was really able to enjoy that dueling guitars thing in a way that is much more difficult than watching a YouTube video on a tablet.

Union Mega Box set - Release date postponed again: until July 30

I wonder if they have been having problems preparing the pre-orders that are first in line before the global release with enough supply.
    Being such a large and heavier item, vendors who normally ship smaller and lighter packages probably were not adequately prepared and need more time..

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post

I wonder if they have been having problems preparing the pre-orders that are first in line before the global release with enough supply.

Being such a large and heavier item, vendors who normally ship smaller and lighter packages probably were not adequately prepared and need more time..
    More likely more time for sales as this is not necessarily a "must have"

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Just as a comparison: for almost the exact amount Amazon is charging for the Yes Union 30 box, you could also have this...

https://www.prestomusic.com/classica...mplete-edition

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Just as a comparison: for almost the exact amount Amazon is charging for the Yes Union 30 box, you could also have this...
    Or if you're on a budget, 60 bucks will get you the complete works of the guy who wrote the Yes walk-on music:

Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

ˆˆˆˆˆˆ
    Ooo - I might have to grab that one.

EDIT: Except I just checked and it's OOP.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Or if you're on a budget, 60 bucks will get you the complete works of the guy who wrote the Yes walk-on music:

Or for 89 to 99 cents, you can buy just the outro of The Firebird from iTunes or Amazon Downloads.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    ˆˆˆˆˆˆ
    Ooo - I might have to grab that one.

EDIT: Except I just checked and it's OOP.
    It's pretty new, I got mine just last month. I expect it will be back in stock soon.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Received from Gonzo today:

Hello all - in case you missed it - we are still awaiting the flight cases arriving from China. Here is the link to track ships on the water...!

Our ship is called CMA CGM ZHENG HE
    - either use the search bar or scroll down. The date has now gone to the 4th July for docking. Apparently, this date is continually updated, so it could go either way still. Don't forget we have to pack them once the flight cases arrive.

^ Translation: They're on a slow boat from China.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post

Good to know he managed to build a career after Yes gave him some exposure.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ Translation: They're on a slow boat from China.
    They were held up at the port inspection in China, because when Chinese authorities asked about the contents of the flight cases and were told they held 30-disk Union sets, the inspectors were incredulous, saying too few people were interested enough in the Union album and tour for that to be possible.

The opening night of the tour is an interesting one as they work out the kinks. It's quite the bloated set, including City Of Love, Take The Water To The Mountain, and Starship Trooper which were all quickly dropped.

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I read on Yesfans that this box has been postponed yet again for September 3rd but when checking Amazon and the official product sites, the July 30 date still stands (at least for CD/DVD, not vinyl).

Any other sources out there?