Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: Airbag - A Day at the Beach

FEATURED ALBUM: Airbag - A Day at the Beach

In continuation of highlighting some releases from 2020, next up is the return of Norwegian proggers Airbag, and their 2020 release A Day at the Beach. The group has made subtle changes to their sound over the years. These days one could describe their sound somewhat as sort of "post-Porcupine Tree", blending elements of PTree's Floydian inspired melodies with a modern, accessible vibe similar to The Pineapple Thief, Gazpacho, Archive, and Riverside. One could even throw H-era Marillion in the fold.

a3363236425_16.jpg

Review from ProgArchives:
    This could be the break through collection of songs that takes Airbag over the top. I have been following their work for awhile and have enjoyed all of their releases, but always felt that they fell just a bit short of greatness for one reason or another. Every album has had great tracks, and they are unquestionably very talented artists, but there was always a slow ambiance to a song or two, or a negative vibe that just wouldn't keep fully engaged for the whole work.

This collection of songs is definitely different. The band's website states that this new album is inspired of 1980's electronica, new wave, movie scores, ethereal soundscapes, and driving guitars. A pretty darn accurate description, and it may be what's tipping this into what I believe to be their best work to date. Airbag lyrics always tend to have serious, and at times dark themes, and one needs to be in the right frame of mind to absorb them. This work is no exception, but the blend of electronica and new wave influences really lift these songs up, and propels them forward. But be not worried, this is serious prog and not anything else.

As Airbag is known for, the tracks are highly atmospheric, sonic landscapes as it were. The collection of songs is six in number, four that are fairly lengthy, each having a nice build up with powerful closing intensity. The two shorter tracks are the 'Day at the Beach' title songs I and II. These are a nice soft respite between the big songs. Each time I play Beach II on my head phones I just think it is too trippy ' great little instrumental track starting with synths and ending in a nice guitar solo! The under current of the synths throughout the tracks - which eventually lead to the striking guitar solos - is a reoccurring theme in all the tracks, and yet each song is uniquely different, giving the music this time around a much fuller, more accessible, and ultimately more positive feel. Well done!

If you have not checked out Airbag as of yet, this is a great place to start. I expect this album will show well on the PA 2020 best of the year list. It should! Let's call this one 4.5 great days at the beach, rounded down to 4 because I am expecting the next work to be even better, so we have to leave room for that. - SilverLight59

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Banned
    At first listen I like it. Good beginning point for me to explore Airbag further.

The only Airbag album that caught my attention was their 2nd All Rights Removed. All the others went "meh" to my ears. Radio friendly muzak.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Well, a fan here!
    Weeks ago I had a binge with all of their albums as with the ones of Bjørn RIIS, Airbag's guitarist: definitely, I was in the right mood !!

Best,
    Tomás.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    First listen too. Definitely sounds good. Need to listen to some more tracks.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Listened to the four tracks above. Love the haunting vocals. I'm not sure what band this reminds me of though.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I remember who the band reminds me of - Radiohead.

My take:

Addition by subtraction - Airbag slims down to a three piece and release their best album.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    The only Airbag album that caught my attention was their 2nd All Rights Removed. All the others went "meh" to my ears. Radio friendly muzak.
    if that's what Muzak is, I'd listen to it more often.

There is an undeniable "neo-prog" side to it (PA classed it as such) , but there are times when it's really more than that

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Listened to the four tracks above. Love the haunting vocals. I'm not sure what band this reminds me of though.
    µ

the whole album is on offer.
    For me, the vocals are are the deal breaker - tooo "néo" for me.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I remember who the band reminds me of - Radiohead.
    This ^

Quote Originally Posted by Crawford Glissadevil View Post
    This ^
    Glad you hear it too.

Is there a story behind the cover? Why do all the teddy bears have their heads in the sand?

Nice listen, BTW. Not exactly my cuppa, but they sound good at what they do.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I may have mentioned this elsewhere, but I have a friend who's a huge fan of the band, but when this album came out, for a long time she wouldn't listen to it (at all) because she hated the album cover. She finally broke down and listened, but she was so disappointed by it. That seems kind of strange to do, but I think if Marillion were to use it, I might have the same problem. It's just pretty dumb. It's like the worst Hipgnosis cover ever, except it's not Hipgnosis, but I think probably going for that type of effect (I believe they really did use all those teddy bears). In fact, this friend of mine is friends with the photographer who made the photo, so that's probably a factor. I somehow doubt there's any meaning to it other than whatever first impression it makes on you.

I'm not much of a fan, but I do sort of enjoy this album. I think you basically have to be really into the lead guitarist's guitar tone to enjoy it. I think he sounds pretty good. There's not a whole lot going on, but it sounds "nice."