Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Power to Believe - 18 Years On

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The eons are closing

The Power to Believe - 18 Years On

Released on 05Mar2003 - I absolutely love this album - except for the decision to fracKture Deception of The Thrush into those IMO terrible trax/alternatives

Saw the tour with the wife (who is a big KC fan too) at The Beacon in November. Superb show, unfortunately unavailable for release due to union rulz etc. Pretty sure we saw one of the Town Hall shows at the start of the tour too.

The Eyes Wide Open DVD - phenomenal too.

Other fans of this album?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MudShark22; 03-06-2021 at 02:45 PM.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    To my ears it is the best overall post Discipline King Crimson album. I think it’s great, but also sad that they didn’t keep pushing and do more new music in this direction. Instead the band kind of just petered out.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    To my ears it is the best overall post Discipline King Crimson album. I think it’s great, but also sad that they didn’t keep pushing and do more new music in this direction. Instead the band kind of just petered out.
    100% agree. KC were really on to something new with Power to Believe. It was their first real "direction" since, well, Discipline. I would have definitely preferred the PtB band to move forward rather than to be replaced by the 3-drummer repertory ensemble. I was at least hoping that the PtB band would have a strong run of three albums, much like the Lark's or Discipline bands, before petering out!

I love it! I feel the quality dips just a tiny bit near the very end, but it's a totally solid album. I saw the tour for this, and for TCoL, and both were incredible. I actually feel like I saw KC a lot in this period, maybe multiple times on each of these tours, or if they toured in between the two releases. My memory is vague, but basically we caught the four piece band pretty much every time they were in Boston. I also have eyes Wide Open. Should play it more, it is spectacular.

My favorite of the post 80s albums is actually TCoL. I know many find flaws with that one, and I accept that. But it really does the job for me. Sonically, I think TPtB is far better. But I like the songs on TCoL and find them a bit more consistent, though the high points on TPtB are pretty mighty. Level 5 being a particularly high point for me.

Bill

I truly loved this record because the sound they'd been working on since coming back together in various forms gelled with this record. I agree that I wish they'd continued in this vein for at least another album. "Level Five" is for me one of the best all-time Crimson songs.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Great album. I prefer it to both Thrak and TCOL, but I dig those rekkids.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Love PtB, for me a direct line back to Red. I took a young coworker to see the band in Montreal and he was floored. Instant fan. It's so muscular and powerful (pun). I need to go back and replay it.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Love PtB, for me a direct line back to Red. I took a young coworker to see the band in Montreal and he was floored. Instant fan. It's so muscular and powerful (pun). I need to go back and replay it.
    Agree.. after I bought it I gave it to my brother to listen to and my introduction was "remember how Red sounded?" You're gonna love this one..

I honestly never saw what was so great about this or any other post-80s KC albums. I have tried. But considering how adamant Fripp has always been about not repeating himself, and always moving forward, I find this era of KC to be shockingly non-innovative. TPTB is simply a collection of KC tropes collected from the 70s and 80s, and presented with a bit more guitar crunch and a lot less dynamics and elegance. But they're all the same ideas from decades past.
    I am glad for people who are as enthusiastic about this as Red, but for me this doesn't come close to either the visceral power and searing beauty of Red, or the incredible elegance, invention and grooves of Discipline - although it clearly tries to ape both those albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Holm-Lupo View Post
    I honestly never saw what was so great about this or any other post-80s KC albums.
    I would add, The Construction Of Light, as another stellar KC release, to accompany PtB.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 03-06-2021 at 06:17 PM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Holm-Lupo View Post
    I honestly never saw what was so great about this or any other post-80s KC albums. I have tried. But considering how adamant Fripp has always been about not repeating himself, and always moving forward, I find this era of KC to be shockingly non-innovative. TPTB is simply a collection of KC tropes collected from the 70s and 80s, and presented with a bit more guitar crunch and a lot less dynamics and elegance. But they're all the same ideas from decades past.
    I am glad for people who are as enthusiastic about this as Red, but for me this doesn't come close to either the visceral power and searing beauty of Red, or the incredible elegance, invention and grooves of Discipline - although it clearly tries to ape both those albums.
    You "Red" my mind. I like all the post-Discipline records but...
    The Prog Corner

Gunn/Mastelotto is the best Crimbo rhythm section.

Yep. I said it.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Listening to this album on YT. First time ever. V is pretty heavy. Red on acid.

I’ve had Dangerous Curves on repeat for weeks. This song is subtle and powerful. It continues in the line of Crim songs that have an insistent rhythm that just builds and builds. Disturbingly powerful and powerfully disturbing.
    Brian Dennehy: "I'm now 80 and I'm just another actor and that's fine with me. I've had a hell of a ride," ... "I have a nice house. I haven't got a palace, a mansion, but a pretty nice, comfortable home. I've raised a bunch of kids and sent them all to school, and they're all doing well. All the people that are close to me are reasonably healthy and happy. Listen, that's as much as anybody can hope for in life."

agreed! My fav track on the album!

Level V sounds Voivod-ish. Proggy and metallic as all F.
    Last edited by Vic2012; 03-06-2021 at 06:59 PM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Yay, time to pull out the Heaven & Earth box set for a bit of a fondle!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Yay, time to pull out the Heaven & Earth box set for a bit of a fondle!
    Ironically enough, I had just recently pulled H&E back out when this thread came up. Big fan of this album from the moment it came out, and it still keeps my attention today.

Although yes...I personally would swap out the version of "Thrush" from Eyes Wide Open for PTB3.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Love it. Great production also. The best Crimson album since Discipline.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

I lost them with 'Construction of light' - but everybody sez this is much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    I lost them with 'Construction of light' - but everybody sez this is much better.
    It's funny because I think this is the position I've read here for ages, not popular. For me, it's brilliant. Love it all.

The eons are closing
    ^^almost ANY version of Thrush other than the butcher job w/ out of context solo soundscape.

Yeah...I don't love how they did that particular splice job.

I also prefer the live version of Dangerous Curves from the Level Five EP, but the official/studio version isn't a dud by any stretch of the imagination.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I may be shot at dawn for saying this, but...

...This is my favorite KC album -period.
    Regards,

Duncan

The eons are closing
    Its not an impossibility, it would be in my Top 5.