Thread: Peter Hammill (Swiss TV '74)

Peter Hammill (Swiss TV '74)

Here's a 1/2 hour video of Peter Hammill that was broadcast on Swiss TV in 1974. He plays a few songs from his current album The Silent Corner...

I don't think this is on YouTube yet so the link is to my VdGG/PH Facebook page where I posted the vid this morning. Hope this will work

https://fb.watch/4a8MOn7phB/

Jeez... what a find! Amazing...
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Excellent. Thanks for the post. I love 'A Louse Is Not A Home' and thought that it would lose some of its power if played solo, but it was just as good.
    We walked arm in arm with madness, and every little breeze whispered of the secret love we had for our disease

WOW!!! Incredible. Incroyable!!!

As my mother would say, What a talented young man!

Hi, man. Can you please tell us where you get it from? One guy on Youtube is asking for money to some of these broadcast performances of swiss tv from bands like Renaissance, Caravan, Colosseum and so on. But it don't belong to him. Aparently this is from Swiss Broadcasting Corporation and problably taken from some of the channels of the SRG’s streaming platform.

Incredible!

A Louse is one of my favorite songs, and that solo version still had the punch of the band version.

rather good, innit?

Hammill at his vocal prime. Amazing.

OMG! Mesmerizing! Unbelievable Louse, and the absence of the rest of VDGG wasn't missed. Peter IMO at his most powerful and darkest, and The Silent Corner and the Empty Stage is my all-time fav of all his solo works. Fantastic archive...many thanks!
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Quote Originally Posted by Munster View Post
    I love 'A Louse Is Not A Home' and thought that it would lose some of its power if played solo, but it was just as good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    Incredible! A Louse is one of my favorite songs, and that solo version still had the punch of the band version.
    Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    OMG! Mesmerizing! Unbelievable Louse, and the absence of the rest of VDGG wasn't missed.
    That's one of the first things I thought when I first saw this (other than OMG!!!!!!!!!!!)... Louse is on a solo PH album but it's kinda considered a VdGG song (they were doing it live before they broke up in '72, and they did it live when they reunited in '75... it was always meant to be a VdGG tune and that's why they all play on it for the PH solo album in '74). But Hammill's fiery passion and technique is so brilliant that it's just as intense and fantastic in this solo perf. Amazing.

That was great...and fascinating. I also watched the Swiss TV 1977 clip that ran after. Hammil's French was better than Gabriel's, to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    That was great...and fascinating. I also watched the Swiss TV 1977 clip that ran after. Hammil's French was better than Gabriel's, to say the least.
    He's fluent in Italian, too. I have so much respect for the guy.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Fantastic performance, and such great quality! Where the HELL has this been hiding all these years? "Louse" has got to be my single favorite PH/VdGG song ever.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Can ayone transfer this performance in a format I can peruse without having to jiun figgin' fb, pleaser?

I heard a couple of interview of him in French - one of them lasting an hour, though if it had been done in English it orobably wioould've lasted 20 minutes less. Clearly he enjoyed the challenge, because the interviewer had proposed him to do it in English. Kudos to PH.

Not aware of The Gabe speaking French, though

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    He's fluent in Italian, too. I have so much respect for the guy.
    Didn't know that, but it makes sense.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Can ayone transfer this performance in a format I can peruse without having to jiun figgin' fb, pleaser?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMxOdeNKdXQ

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post

Thanks (astounding)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Simply superb!

Not aware of The Gabe speaking French, though

Often spoke French in his intros in French speaking locations. Check out the Montreal 1974 radio broadcast that was booted on L' Ange Gabriel, among others.

I love this. Thanks Buck.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Often spoke French in his intros in French speaking locations. Check out the Montreal 1974 radio broadcast that was booted on L' Ange Gabriel, among others.
    That just shows the repect he has for his audiences.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    That just shows the repect he has for his audiences.
    Which is not always reciprocated.... When Phil C says "Bonsoir Montréal" in Toronto, he gets booed off.

Which is not always reciprocated.... When Phil C says "Bonsoir Montréal" in Toronto, he gets booed off.
    Well he should. If he had just said, "Eh, Muntreal?" he would have been fine.

Thanks a lot ... love it!
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.