Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prog Madness 2021

Prog Madness 2021

The PROG REPORT review and podcast site is running their "Prog Madness" Bracket challenge again this year. Fun idea, although I'm not sure how I feel about Genesis having to face off against Camel in the first round, or the fact that Neal Morse gets dual listings in both Solo Artist and the Modern Artist categories (for the Neal Morse Band) !

I'm going to do a bracket just for fun.....Here is the link, post your picks here if you're interested, I'm curious who the Prog Ears community will vote as the winner :

https://progreport.com/get-your-prog...-2021-bracket/

King Crimson v. Yes in Round 2? Sigh.

And no Magma.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    King Crimson v. Yes in Round 2? Sigh.

yeah, that's a bit dumb, Yes and KC are such different prog genres, doesn't make a lot of sense, having a Symphonic band vs. a band as Eclectic as KC (YES wins though of course !

I can nitpick all day but I love this. Either way, Pink Floyd wins...
    The Prog Corner

Gentle Giant v/s Kansas? Though I love both, Gentle Giant wins.
    ELP v/s Van Der Graaf No Generator? If it would be Van der Graaf Generator, they win, even though I also love ELP.

My "Top 8" came out to:

Rush
    Yes
    Steven Wilson
    Peter Gabriel
    Frost*
    Porcupine Tree
    Haken
    Tool

Narrowed down to:

Rush
    Peter Gabriel
    Porcupine Tree
    Haken

AND that's as far as I go!

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    It's so hard to choose between Genesis and Camel.
    Who's got the better defense?

"Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

I don't agree with the way the "seeds" are ranked......especially for the Classic Band wing of the tree. If I were to set up the seeds, the Classic Bands would be :

1. YES
    2. Genesis
    3. Jethro Tull
    4. ELP
    5. Rush
    6. Kansas
    7. Pink Floyd
    8. Camel
    9. Caravan'
    10. Gentle Giant
    11. King Crimson
    12. Moody Blues
    13. Soft Machine
    14. Saga
    15. Procol Harum
    16. Van der Graaf Generator

Banned
    There is only one way this will work; add up the rankings of each of their studio albums and divide by the number of albums released. Use whatever source you desire; Gnosis, Prog Archives, RYM or your own ratings.

No matter what source, Genesis obviously beats Camel hands down

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    There is only one way this will work; add up the rankings of each of their studio albums and divide by the number of albums released. Use whatever source you desire; Gnosis, Prog Archives, RYM or your own ratings.

I still have a slight preference for Camel.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Oldfield is a 16 seed in the solo artist bracket? Behind John Wetton as a solo artist!!

Guess they don't like avant, zeuhl, krautrock, Italian bands. Too vanilla for words.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Oldfield is a 16 seed in the solo artist bracket? Behind John Wetton as a solo artist!!

Guess they don't like avant, zeuhl, krautrock, Italian bands. Too vanilla for words.
    I didn't want to be the first to say it, but yeah.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Guess they don't like [...]
    It's only rarely a case of not "liking", as you'll have to actually know and "get" something before realizing whether you do or don't.

Of course, these days folks are in a hurry to simply decide whether something feels right for them to "like" or not - and thus it's no longer about realization either.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I’m about to be nit picky but I can’t help it. As a major PH/VdGG fan, this bracket commits one of my annoying little pet peeves. It’s Van Der Graaf (not Graff), and it’s Peter Hammill (not Hamill). It’s one thing for a rube to write it that way but this site actually calls itself “The Prog Report” and they/he are classic artists of the genre. Googling takes five seconds when one is unsure of a spelling.

Ahem... carry on :-)

Banco Vs PFM in a play in game maybe?
    or Magma vs Present?

Quote Originally Posted by Bucka001 View Post
    I’m about to be nit picky but I can’t help it.
    ^ It's not nit picky. It's as elementary as it would be to have an index on allegedly "progressive" something reflect developments of the past 45 years, especially considering how radically some of those developments evolved.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I’m about to be nit picky but I can’t help it. As a major PH/VdGG fan, this bracket commits one of my annoying little pet peeves. It’s Van Der Graaf (not Graff), and it’s Peter Hammill (not Hamill). It’s one thing for a rube to write it that way but this site actually calls itself “The Prog Report” and they/he are classic artists of the genre. Googling takes five seconds when one is unsure of a spelling.

Ahem... carry on :-)
    Well said
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    Banco Vs PFM in a play in game maybe?
    or Magma vs Present?
    PFM and Magma for me.

Kraan v/s Hoelderlin
    Novalis v/s Eloy
    Grobschnitt v/s Triumvirat

Hard choices, to say the least.

I like me 2nd round matchup Gentle Giant vs Soft Machine. I'd prefer to be imprisoned than choose.

(But I forgot...I am already imprisoned)

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    I like me 2nd round matchup Gentle Giant vs Soft Machine. I'd prefer to be imprisoned than choose.

(But I forgot...I am already imprisoned)
    I think I prefer Gentle Giant. There is some Soft Machine I like, but I don't like everything they made.

Yeah, I always thought the guys at Prog Report had a bit better taste than that......so I think what they've done is set it up the same way a Vegas Bookie would, and the "seed" rankings are based more on "fan favorites" than about who they think is aesthetically the better artist....so in other words Jon Anderson gets a higher seed than Steve Hackett, not because his solo catalogue is (god forbid) better than Hackett's but because your average unenlightened Prog Fan (or rabid YES fan !) who knows very little about the wider world of Prog is more likely to pick him in a Throwdown matchup.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post

I used the proposed methodology denoted above, with the source being Prog Archives. I summed the ratings for each studio release and then divided by the number of albums rated for each. The number of divisors differs significantly which does affect the outcome, however, it still provides an interesting view of how they stack up against each other. Using this approach, the more popularly unheralded bands don't get the cold shoulder after all, vis a vis the more "popular" artists.

Magma - 46.75/12 = 3.90

Van der Graaf Generator - 48.97/13 = 3.77

Genesis - 53.00/15 = 3.53

Camel - 51.96/15 = 3.46

Yes - 68.13/20 = 3.41

Note: I excluded the last listed release for Camel, which was a re-recording of "The Snow Goose".

As a major PH/VdGG fan, this bracket commits one of my annoying little pet peeves. It’s Van Der Graaf (not Graff)
    It has always really bothered me that the band themselves spelled it wrong.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

For me, this thing is an extension of those Prog Top Whatever lists on Prog or Rock sites. Boring nonsense that doesn't come close to reflecting my listening habits.

Sorry.