Thread: In The Fishtank Series

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

In The Fishtank Series

I just discovered, through Spotify the In The Fishtank series of albums, and am listening to In The Fishtank 10, Motorpsycho + Jaga Jazzist Horns. It's good, and now I'm intrigued about this whole series, even though I've never heard of most of the bands. Actually, there are several bands I've heard of but have never listened to. The one I'm most interested in next is In The Fishtank 15, Sparklehorse + Fennesz. I've never heard of Fennesz, but I've heard of Sparklehorse. I noticed a thread on them recently, and a friend and I used to laugh about the band's name, as it was a time when there were several bands with names like that, which just seemed to be two random words put together, the most successful (I think) being Silverchair. The thread on Sparklehorse already had me a bit intrigued to find out what the band sounded like.

I don't even know what label this series is on. Is anyone here familiar with it, and do you recommend any in particular? It looks like the Sparklehorse + Fennesz is the last, or most recent.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I just discovered, through Spotify the In The Fishtank series of albums, and am listening to In The Fishtank 10, Motorpsycho + Jaga Jazzist Horns. It's good, and now I'm intrigued about this whole series, even though I've never heard of most of the bands. [...]

I don't even know what label this series is on. Is anyone here familiar with it, and do you recommend any in particular? It looks like the Sparklehorse + Fennesz is the last, or most recent.
    This was a series of EPs (or "mini-albums") on a label called Konkurrent. I used to own the June of '44, Low+Dirty Three, Tortoise+The Ex, and Sonic Youth+ICP+The Ex titles, but wouldn't consider any of them essential listening. I still like and listen to all of those bands (except Low) but wouldn't recommend those CDs as a starting point for any of them. For completists only, and perhaps not even then.

I still have the Motorpsycho+Jaga Jazzist CD. That was the only keeper among them, primarily for the Art Ensemble of Chicago cover and "Tristano".

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad 2 the Bone View Post
    This was a series of EPs (or "mini-albums") on a label called Konkurrent. I used to own the June of '44, Low+Dirty Three, Tortoise+The Ex, and Sonic Youth+ICP+The Ex titles, but wouldn't consider any of them essential listening. I still like and listen to all of those bands (except Low) but wouldn't recommend those CDs as a starting point for any of them. For completists only, and perhaps not even then.

I still have the Motorpsycho+Jaga Jazzist CD. That was the only keeper among them, primarily for the Art Ensemble of Chicago cover and "Tristano".
    Thanks for the info!

Great series. I love Karate's entry (#12). They cover Minutemen, Mark Hollis and The Band!!!
    The Prog Corner