Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: The hiking thread

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    I've been to Great Falls several times - though not recently.

There's a hike I'm thinking of doing next April that will take me right past Great Falls: It's a one-day 100km (62 mile) hike from Washington, DC to Harpers Ferry, WV, along the tow path. You start at 3:00am, and have to finish by midnight.

My mind says "Yeah, let's to it".

My legs are saying "Nooo - please don't!"
    Do it!!

Thanks for responding, Duncan!

And now - going to Nepal? Damn!! Remember - pictures, or it didn't happen.
    Okay then. Here are a few:
    DSC01345.jpg
    DSC01589.jpg
    DSC01663.jpg
    DSC01698.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Okay then. Here are a few:
    Very impressive! Beautiful scenery. Thanks!

Was the hiking difficult? What altitudes were you at?
    Regards,

Duncan

Very impressive! Beautiful scenery. Thanks!

Was the hiking difficult? What altitudes were you at?
    I thought it was a relatively easy and relaxed trek. Easier than what I normally do in the alps. Start of the trek was 700 meter, Larkya La pass at 5160 meter. Dunno what that is in feet.

I thought it was a relatively easy and relaxed trek. Easier than what I normally do in the alps. Start of the trek was 700 meter, Larkya La pass at 5160 meter. Dunno what that is in feet.
    For who's interested: here is a full photo series https://photos.app.goo.gl/jdzA2LrsYmSNv6MW8

Banned
    Catoctin park / Cunningham Falls / etc. are practically in my back yard. Great hiking out there. I'd urge you to try Annapolis Rocks some time - it's by far the best overlook in the region. There are short and longer hikes to get there - let me know if you need details, or I'm sure Alltrails.com has maps.
    I forgot to mention I finally made it out there. It was cold and windy but worth it for the stunning (if wintry) views. Thanks for the tip Duncan, I'll be back next year in warmer weather for sure.

arocks.jpg

A modest venture of course compared to the Alps and Nepal - wow fabulous photos indeed Dunno! I am soooooo jealous!
    Last edited by Quantum Cat; 12-08-2022 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quantum Cat View Post
    I forgot to mention I finally made it out there. It was cold and windy but worth it for the stunning (if wintry) views. Thanks for the tip Duncan, I'll be back next year in warmer weather for sure.

arocks.jpg

A modest venture of course compared to the Alps and Nepal - wow fabulous photos indeed Dunno! I am soooooo jealous!
    Glad you went out there. It's a fun hike! The views are very impressive on a clear summers day when the scenery is all green instead of winter's gray, bare trees.

Next time, you might enjoy going out to the Washington Monument state park. Hike from there to 270, cross the bridge over the interstate, and go on to Annapolis Rocks - and back. Also a nice hike - and be sure to spend a few minutes at the first monument ever raised to Honor G. Washington.
    Regards,

Duncan

Banned
    ^^^ I’ll do that. Cheers!

I just returned from hiking the 'malerweg' (the painters way); an 8-day hiking route in Eastern Germany.
    An easy route in a popular area but a very nice walk nevertheless.

Here are a couple of shots:

Attached Images Attached Images

Stunning beauty!

Glad you enjoyed it.

My knees are playing up, so I'm planning to do a short hike soon to test them
    Last edited by Duncan Glenday; 06-14-2023 at 01:00 PM.
    Regards,

Duncan

Nice Pictures!

I'm a day hiker, and hike around my area in Nor Cal quite a bit. Haven't done a multi-day hike in decades. But just back from Britian, where my wife and I did more than 80 miles over the course of two weeks. We summitted Sugar Load in Brecon Beacons, went up Mynydd y Dref (Conwy Mountain), did the loop around Grasmere and Rydal Waters in the Lake District, and spent some time in the Trossachs/Loch Lomand park. Also did quite a bit of urban walking....
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    I'm a day hiker, and hike around my area in Nor Cal quite a bit. Haven't done a multi-day hike in decades. But just back from Britian, where my wife and I did more than 80 miles over the course of two weeks. We summitted Sugar Load in Brecon Beacons, went up Mynydd y Dref (Conwy Mountain), did the loop around Grasmere and Rydal Waters in the Lake District, and spent some time in the Trossachs/Loch Lomand park. Also did quite a bit of urban walking....
    Enjoyed your photos!
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    When I was stationed at a Naval Air Station in the San Joaquin Valley, they gave us a warning. When hiking in the Sierra foothills just to the East, or in Yosemite just to the North. If you come across a marijuana plant, immediately turn around and go back the way you came. Or face the wrath of the drug gangs growing the plant(s).
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Mt Mitchell.jpg

Late to this thread... started hiking somewhat seriously in 2018...Pics are from 2 of my most challenging...Grand Canyon(2020), rim to river and back! 3 hours down and about 3 hr 45m up!Grand canyon pic.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by beano View Post

Late to this thread... started hiking somewhat seriously in 2018...Pics are from 2 of my most challenging...Grand Canyon(2020), rim to river and back! 3 hours down and about 3 hr 45m up!
    Regards,

Duncan

Has anyone tried a "via ferrata"?

VF_01.jpg

VF_02.jpg

VF_03.jpg

VF_05.jpg

That's probably going to be my next adventure.
    Regards,

Duncan

I've done many Via Ferrata, although not many the last few years. My wife's home country, Slovenia, is a via ferrata paradise

I've also done a lot of Alpine climbing when I was young. When I was 16 I did my first mountaineering course. The next years I took two more advanced courses. I climbed until my late 20ies. At one moment my group of climbing buddies fell apart due to carreers, relationships and kids and I switched more to multiple day hiking.

I've done many Via Ferrata, although not many the last few years. My wife's home country, Slovenia, is a via ferrata paradise

I've also done a lot of Alpine climbing when I was young. When I was 16 I did my first mountaineering course. The next years I took two more advanced courses. I climbed until my late 20ies. At one moment my group of climbing buddies fell apart due to carreers, relationships and kids and I switched more to multiple day hiking.
    Cool! Via ferrata are relatively new in the USA, and very new to me. A friend and I plan to do one soon ... but (co-incidentally) both of our wives are recovering from surgeries, so we'll need to plan it for when they've recovered ... hopefully, September.

No surprise to learn that you've done alpine climbs. I did a course last August, for my Mount Rainier climb.
    Regards,

Duncan

Maybe the bridge...Maybe !