Thread: What albums did you listen to today?...continued

IZZ - Collapse the Wave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

King Crimson - Guildford Civic Hall 11/13/72
    Jethro Tull - Live in Concert 1977
    Carole Dawn Reinhart - Glanzvolle Trompetenklange
    The Warlocks - Experimental Burn Out Music

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Their latest album features more than one keyboard player. Lainey also plays keyboards. I have their second album which is pretty good but haven't played it in a while.
    Brendan Burns, the guitar player for Schooltree, played in a "chamber fusion" project I was in called Ra Quintet. He plays nylon string on the piece I composed for the group.

Here's a short review Sid Smith did of the album. https://sidsmith.blogspot.com/2009/08/ra-quintet.html

OK, bye.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^ Cool!!

Genesis - Selling England By The Pound
    Opeth - Sorceress

Progger for sure 😏
    Eno & Byrne - My Life in the Bush of Ghosts
    Gunesh - Looking at the Earth
    Halloween - Part One (another one which I find quite underrated)

Colosseum - Live
    Indexi - Modra Rijeka
    Isotope - s/t
    Joplin, Janis - Greatest Hits
    Marbin - Aggressive Hippies
    Zappa, Frank - Zappa in New York 40th Anniversery
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

Khan - Space Shanty
    Isobar - III

King Crimson Songbook Volume I - Crimson Jazz Trio

Their brilliant rendition of I Talk to the Wind absolutely blew my mind and took my attention off the rest of the album. I have listened to that track over and over.

Manuel Gottsching: E2-E4 (new to me delivered today)
    Zappa: Mothers Of Prevention
    Soft Machine: The Harvest Albums 1975-1978
    'I would advise stilts for the quagmires"

Mike Oldfield - Amarok (about half of it anyway- unfortunately I hit the eject button by accident while trying to turn the sound down a bit)
    Yes - Talk (30th anniversary edition- if it wasn't for the boom bash drumming it might be their best or one of their very best post 70s albums but as it is it's still great)
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Mike Oldfield - Amarok (about half of it anyway- unfortunately I hit the eject button by accident while trying to turn the sound down a bit)
    Yes - Talk (30th anniversary edition- if it wasn't for the boom bash drumming it might be their best or one of their very best post 70s albums but as it is it's still great)
    Boom bash? I have to assume you mean State of Play. I think that is the most brilliant song on the album. Give me boom bash. But in my opinion, a drummer can serve no better purpose than to make a band sound good. He achieved that on Drama and never did better after that.

Quote Originally Posted by llanwydd View Post
    Boom bash? I have to assume you mean State of Play. I think that is the most brilliant song on the album. Give me boom bash. But in my opinion, a drummer can serve no better purpose than to make a band sound good. He achieved that on Drama and never did better after that.
    It's difficult for me to explain the drum sound. Maybe part of it is the production.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by llanwydd View Post
    King Crimson Songbook Volume I - Crimson Jazz Trio

Their brilliant rendition of I Talk to the Wind absolutely blew my mind and took my attention off the rest of the album. I have listened to that track over and over.
    I LOVE that album! The Crimson songs work so well as jazz numbers, and they are all three so good, every note. The second album is good, but not as good as the first, IMO.

What makes the 30th anniv. edition different? I have the original CD, but really never listened to it that much, but it may have aged well - I think I'll put it on!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    What makes the 30th anniv. edition different? I have the original CD, but really never listened to it that much, but it may have aged well - I think I'll put it on!
    It's a 4 cd box set. One disc of single edits, instrumentals and demos, and two discs of a live show.

Talk is a pretty good album! I enjoyed it. Does anyone know - did Anderson write most of the melodies, or was it split between him and Rabin? Because the album is a lot stronger melodically than pretty much everything that came after, except maybe some of Fly From Here, which came from old material anyway. IMO. They should have been able to get out a couple of semi-successful singles from the album, except people were probably just too into The Spin Doctors or Spice Girls or whatever to care.

I LOVE that album! The Crimson songs work so well as jazz numbers, and they are all three so good, every note. The second album is good, but not as good as the first, IMO.

Apparently it's been remastered. It also features liner notes by Jerry Ewing (editor of Prog magazine). I got my copy through the Laser's Edge.

Talk is a pretty good album! I enjoyed it. Does anyone know - did Anderson write most of the melodies, or was it split between him and Rabin? Because the album is a lot stronger melodically than pretty much everything that came after, except maybe some of Fly From Here, which came from old material anyway. IMO. They should have been able to get out a couple of semi-successful singles from the album, except people were probably just too into The Spin Doctors or Spice Girls or whatever to care.
    From what I understand it was mostly written (and largely recorded) by Trevor Rabin but I have to do more research on that. It has the entire 90125/ BG lineup so that might explain it's focus on strong melody. There's no bad (or even just ok) tracks on it imo. Not even "where will you be." Unfortunately, it only sold maybe 150-200,000 copies in the US.

I've been listening to Santana, Zbop! I ignored all of the Santana discography after the 70s. This album was recommended. It's pretty good. Despite the corny hit song, it's mostly scorching guitar, and latin percussion up the ass. There's even some Hammond Organ thrown in. Good album.

Jethro Tull - The Chateau D’Herouville Sessions 1972
    Karl Bartos - Off the Record
    Grant Green - Have Guitar, Will Travel
    Alejandro Escovedo String Quartet - Room of Songs

The eons are closing
    It's difficult for me to explain the drum sound. Maybe part of it is the production.
    I am with you on the drums being a weak link on Talk - White certainly suffers from the Rabin "big boom" sound on his kit, especially the bass drum - and it absolutely doesn't help that White is not being asked to do much at all....

I had given up on White as a creative force from this point forward until the Levin Torn White album

Sent from my NE2217 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Saga - S/T
    Saga - Images at Twilight
    Saga - Silent Knight
    Saga - Worlds Apart
    Saga - Heads or Tales
    Saga - Behaviour

Last night:
    Yes - Talk

Tonight:
    The Tangent (for One) - To Follow Polaris
    Sintesis - En Busca De Una Nueva Flor
    Last edited by JKL2000; 1 Week Ago at 01:18 AM.

The Flower Kings - Meet the Flower Kings
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

https://spectrumorchestrum.bandcamp.com/album

Spectrum Orchestrum - NOZIROH

Cool stuff, some of you might like it
    https://ghostrhythms.bandcamp.com/
    "YOU WERE GOING TO MAKE ME RELEASE A CD OF YOU FRENCH GOOFBALLS DOING SOFT MACHINE SONGS"

Robert Fripp - Exposures box Disk 8 - "Exposure" Steve Wislon 2021 Mix - Sounds superb!