Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: All things Gaming / MMORPG

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Oh, actually, I just googled roguelike, and NOW it makes sense - I vaguely remember knowing about Rogue, but I never played it. I didn't realize the subgenre was related to that. (Sometimes these explanations can go in one ear and out the other)

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    My son is always talking to me about roguelikes and using some other terms as if I understand what they mean. And this is even after he's explained to me what they mean. It's just funny to me to see you guys using it! My son is super into the game The Hollow Knight, and he's been playing that a lot recently. aith01 (I've forgotten your name!) - I'll bet you've played Hollow Knight, right? My son has t-shirts, etc. It's fun to watch - a cool looking game.
    Hey Jed -- You're right, I have played Hollow Knight! It's a really beautiful game to look at, and rich in atmosphere. I've only gotten one of the endings so far. Some of those boss fights can get really punishing. Glad your son is enjoying it!

Don't worry about forgetting my name, it happens. (It's Tyler.)
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Regarding Rogue and roguelikes, the first time I remember hearing about Rogue was when a friend of mine brought over some of the games in the Kroz series by Scott Miller. I was reading in one of the documents or readme files about how Miller came up with the idea to make Kroz, and he mentioned that he had played a game called Rogue but it was far too reliant on randomness for his liking, so he wanted to make something similar that was a little more structured.

That would have probably been sometime in the early or mid 90s, maybe around 1994. In 1995 when I started using AOL, I found Rogue there and downloaded it. Pretty cool little game for its time. I still kinda miss the days of PC shareware games.

Well, as long as we're going down the retro road ... who else remembers "Adventure," a/k/a "The Colossal Cave," the original PC text dungeon crawler?

You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
    You are in a little maze of twisty passages, all alike.
    You are in a twisty maze of little passages, all alike............
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Hey Jed -- You're right, I have played Hollow Knight!
    The sequel will be out sometime this year. It’ll be all kinds of rad.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Well, as long as we're going down the retro road ... who else remembers "Adventure," a/k/a "The Colossal Cave," the original PC text dungeon crawler?

You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
    You are in a little maze of twisty passages, all alike.
    You are in a twisty maze of little passages, all alike............
    Sadly I don’t recall ever playing that one. I think I remember reading about it way back when though.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    The sequel will be out sometime this year. It’ll be all kinds of rad.
    I’m almost afraid to get my hopes up about it being released. It’s been so long, I really hope it comes out this year though. It looks awesome!

I’m almost afraid to get my hopes up about it being released. It’s been so long, I really hope it comes out this year though. It looks awesome!
    Getting closer. Nintendo sent me an email noting that it’s on the way. Still no release date.

Are you guys all going to be playing the Harry Potter game this weekend? My older son is very psyched for that, and right now my younger son is playing the refresh of Metroid Prime. Yesterday he was watching videos where people were analyzing the new trailer for the new Breath of the Wild game. Funny to see how closely they analyze things in the trailer to try to figure out details of the game.

The eons are closing
    Re: Harry Potter
    Nope - not me nor my son.

I am way engrossed in Ghosts of Tsushima on my PS5 currently. Waiting to see real reviews of new Sony VR with improved controllers - if so - will splurge to play No Man's Sky in proper VR. On the commute into NYC - playing Shattered Pixel Dungeon on my phone - for me - an almost perfect roguelite

My son is playing a lot of Destiny 2 - waiting on new DLC to drop.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Not a Potter fan, but the game looks good. I’ll likely pass.

Knee deep in the new God of War. I’ll probably play the remixed Metroid game next.

I'm not a fan of Harry Potter myself, although the game looks pretty cool.

Beyond psyched for the Metroid Prime Remastered release though! I'm waffling on whether to just get the digital version now, or wait on the physical copy to come out.

My son is playing it. He says it's pretty good.

Wow, it's great to hear that you had such a fun time playing Diablo IV! I don't remember the last time I had a chance to play for that long, but it sounds like you really made the most of the beta version.
    I'm actually in the process of upgrading my gaming PC now, so hopefully, I'll be able to join you soon. It's been a while since I've been able to really dive into an MMORPG, so I'm definitely looking forward to trying out Diablo IV when it's released. BTW, I recently came across some helpful info on how to find relief from debt. I discovered a website called TurboDebt, which has some great resources for managing debt and improving your financial situation. It was helpful when I was upgrading my gaming PC.
    Last edited by ymirtm3r; 04-07-2023 at 06:32 AM.

I played the beta version of Diablo IV last weekend for a total of about 8 hours over 3 days. The most gaming I've done in years. It was a blast! It's set for regular release in early June.
    <sig out of order>

The eons are closing
    Nice!

Happy “Tears of the Kingdom” weekend! We’re all celebrating it along with my son. I had it marked on the calendar!

My daughter has been playing it ... I won't say obsessively, but certainly with a degree of determination. It looks pretty well made.

And, the creative Tears of the Kingdom players are already posting examples of their work online. I don't think I've ever heard my son laugh as hard as he did when he first found this video:

https://twitter.com/darkholocron/sta...OG5sCrzN_OHH7Q

Bumping this so you guys will see the above. It *is* pretty funny!

The eons are closing
    Link don't work for me Jed
    Takea me to Twitter main page.

I saw it. It's a good dick joke.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I’ve got a few games to plow through before I can get to Tears.

Neon Abyss is a dungeon crawling, rogue like. Took me a sec to get used to the twin sticks controls (generally not a fan), but the patience has been worthwhile. Lots of fun loot and quick enough that you can make two or three runs in one sitting.

And I’m still working through the Metroid Prime remake.

But then … Tears.

All I've been doing in my spare time this weekend is playing Tears of the Kingdom, and I'm pretty astounded at how much they managed to improve upon its predecessor in almost every possible way. And Nintendo kept some of the biggest surprises out of the trailers, thank goodness!

This one looks to have been worth the wait.

How has your son been enjoying it, Jed?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I saw it. It's a good dick joke.
    Did my link work for you? It's ultimately a dick joke, but it's also a good example how they've given players a good way to just mess around building things if they want.

All I've been doing in my spare time this weekend is playing Tears of the Kingdom, and I'm pretty astounded at how much they managed to improve upon its predecessor in almost every possible way. And Nintendo kept some of the biggest surprises out of the trailers, thank goodness!

This one looks to have been worth the wait.

How has your son been enjoying it, Jed?
    He's really been enjoying it, but I don't think he's been doing challenges or missions or whatever, he's mostly messing around with some of the new features. He seems very happy with it!

His favorite thing about Fortnight was always more building things and messing around with friends in Creative mode than the actual combat, although he's pretty good at that.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart