Thread: New music from Ray Wilson

New music from Ray Wilson

From his forthcoming new album, 'The Weight of Man':

Hope the whole album isn't so blatantly about the pandemic.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

The beginning has a Dire Straits vibe
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

I like this track. Yeah, I don't think I want a whole album about the pandemic, but it is hard to ignore. Still wish Genesis gave it another album with Ray on vocals. A missed opportunity

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    I like this track. Yeah, I don't think I want a whole album about the pandemic, but it is hard to ignore. Still wish Genesis gave it another album with Ray on vocals. A missed opportunity
    I saw two review shows on Youtube (SofT , etc) and Calling All Stations was rated as the all time low for Genesis. I don't agree, there are some strong elements to the album and I totally agree that a second shot would have been great.

I'll give a listen the the new one.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Got mine in the mail today! Ray is a auto-buy for me

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Still wish Genesis gave it another album with Ray on vocals. A missed opportunity
    I'm honestly surprised that Steve Hackett hasn't worked with him more.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    From his forthcoming new album, 'The Weight of Man':

I like it, have had it for a month, who do I know?

That strat sound is very Mark Knopfler. A very cool sounding song - although I have had my fill of pandemic-inspired tunes.

Quote Originally Posted by floyd umma gumma View Post
    - although I have had my fill of pandemic-inspired tunes.
    I totally agree with this comment..enough is enough.
    It's one thing for music & film to draw attention to things happening in the world that many people may not be aware of.
    But to continue to put out music and film about something we've all lived through, and have heard a plethora of material released to remind us of their view, again, enough is enough.

It's like our cable tv has been advertising and running programs about 911 because of the 20th Anniversary this month. But they've been doing it EVERY year, same visuals, same horrific stores..(my cynical side sees it as a cash cow for the media).
    WE KNOW...we all lived it..take a moment of silence and remember those who lost their lives, and their families who suffered their lost.
    It makes me think it would be like a person who has lost a loved one due to a horrific crime or accident, and each year pulling out the horrible crime scene photos and looking at them..who does that?
    honoring and remembering and grieving, but to show images over and over..is just kind of sick ya know.

I like Ray Wilson and listened to a couple of his videos a month or two ago when they popped up in my YT sidebar. I also like Calling All Stations and the involvement he had with Genesis on it and World tour(there is a concert from Poland on video), but there is something about his voice that wears on me after awhile.
    So I don't think I could take a whole album of his singing.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I totally agree with this comment..enough is enough.
    It's one thing for music & film to draw attention to things happening in the world that many people may not be aware of.
    But to continue to put out music and film about something we've all lived through, and have heard a plethora of material released to remind us of their view, again, enough is enough.

It's like our cable tv has been advertising and running programs about 911 because of the 20th Anniversary this month. But they've been doing it EVERY year, same visuals, same horrific stores..(my cynical side sees it as a cash cow for the media).
    WE KNOW...we all lived it..take a moment of silence and remember those who lost their lives, and their families who suffered their lost.
    It makes me think it would be like a person who has lost a loved one due to a horrific crime or accident, and each year pulling out the horrible crime scene photos and looking at them..who does that?
    honoring and remembering and grieving, but to show images over and over..is just kind of sick ya know.

I like Ray Wilson and listened to a couple of his videos a month or two ago when they popped up in my YT sidebar. I also like Calling All Stations and the involvement he had with Genesis on it and World tour(there is a concert from Poland on video), but there is something about his voice that wears on me after awhile.
    So I don't think I could take a whole album of his singing.
    Been buying his albums for years, enjoy his voice and find he is a surprisingly good songwriter, to each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    Been buying his albums for years, enjoy his voice and find he is a surprisingly good songwriter, to each his own.
    I agree he's a good songwriter, entertainer and has a wonderful voice. And also we are all different, and just expressing my personal view, not anything negative about Ray.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

I can understand how some may find these things entertaining or informative, but I can't watch 9/11 stuff. I lived it. Watched it all unfold on TV. I don't need to revisit it now.

That said, I'm usually interested in other similar things that didn't happen during my lifetime (WW1 & 2 stuff, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I can understand how some may find these things entertaining or informative, but I can't watch 9/11 stuff. I lived it. Watched it all unfold on TV. I don't need to revisit it now.

That said, I'm usually interested in other similar things that didn't happen during my lifetime (WW1 & 2 stuff, etc.).
    I lived in Port Washington at the time on the north shore of LI, I slept with my windows open, the following morning the debris cloud had drifted over Port, I will never forget that smell. Being an insurance broker I've smelled my share of fires in my 43 years on the job, this was different, I never want to smell anything like it again, ever. I sat at home that day as the bridges were closed and watched the second plane hit the Tower, I too saw enough that day, have no desire to re-live it at all.
    Last edited by BarryLI; 09-02-2021 at 01:17 PM.

a bit of CAS, Nir Z.: Drums

I agree he's a good songwriter, entertainer and has a wonderful voice. And also we are all different, and just expressing my personal view, not anything negative about Ray.
    People are allowed to have opinions, the fact I don't share yours means squat, we like what we like and vice versa, it amazes me that about three-quarters of the planet doesn't get that anymore, now if you like a different pizza topping you're the "enemy", sigh.

^ Give me mushrooms, or give me death!

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    People are allowed to have opinions, the fact I don't share yours means squat, we like what we like and vice versa, it amazes me that about three-quarters of the planet doesn't get that anymore, now if you like a different pizza topping you're the "enemy", sigh.
    Great comment, and I totally agree.
    I think too many people think if you don't connect with a song or album and say so, you are criticizing the artist(of course the way you say it can lead to that perception).
    I'm glad you like what Ray does, he's very lucky Genesis gave him a shot, and he knows and appreciates it.
    Before it was like...Stiltskin who? lol

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ Give me mushrooms, or give me death!
    And I also agree with you on mushrooms.
    I've perfected my Detroit Style Deep Dish pizza with homemade crust and sauce, and mushrooms and onions are a must.
    I think my next song will be titled Calling All Mushrooms.
    Last edited by Top Cat; 09-02-2021 at 05:25 PM.

I don't follow and am not familiar with his releases. Saw this, looks to be recent, was uploaded a month ago. Listened to bits of it and it reminded me of the Calling All Stations album, whereas another song upload from also a month ago didn't.
    https://youtu.be/YUPV9DwSICQ?feature=shared