Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New band - Nick D’Virgilio, Neal Morse, Ross Jennings

This is what I'm talkin' about!

Suite Judy Blue Eyes pt. 2. Sooooo good!

Absolutely love this.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Wow. I'm going to play the crap out of this album, I can already tell. Prog or not, these are some good tunes!

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    Band name is a bit clumsy as "D'Virgilio" doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.
    You can bet it won't be long until they'll be referred to as DMJ.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Ember
    So this inspired me to seek out Jennings' solo album. Haken is a little metallic for my palate, but "A Shadow of My Future Self" is right in my wheelhouse. It's an amalgamation of a whole bunch of 80s and 90s pop and power pop influences (heck, there's one song that wouldn't seem out of place on a Gin Blossoms album!), but its the blending that makes it all more than the sum. That and Jennings' superlative vocals and ability to bend a hook. There really is a place where these three guys converge, and if the songwriting can match the singing, it could be a real winner.

A really fun, entertaining record, and while I was already pumped for Troika, now I'm positively salivating.
    "I have not yet begun to procrastinate."

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    So this inspired me to seek out Jennings' solo album. Haken is a little metallic for my palate, but "A Shadow of My Future Self" is right in my wheelhouse. It's an amalgamation of a whole bunch of 80s and 90s pop and power pop influences (heck, there's one song that wouldn't seem out of place on a Gin Blossoms album!), but its the blending that makes it all more than the sum. That and Jennings' superlative vocals and ability to bend a hook. There really is a place where these three guys converge, and if the songwriting can match the singing, it could be a real winner.

A really fun, entertaining record, and while I was already pumped for Troika, now I'm positively salivating.
    I can't agree more. As good of a pop album as you'll hear, with some prog tidbits as well. Love it.

Sweet!

and here's Doug Helvering checking it out, too:

Doug interviews Neal Morse here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xnq7QBtJlpI

Here's a "Troika" review if you want to get a sense of the whole album:

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/al...nnings-troika/

It's a really nice chill event, in between their "day jobs". Some compelling songs and the vocal harmonies are spot on.

I am pleasantly surprised by this album. I’m a huge CSN& sometimes Y fan. A release by The Thorns may be of interest. They were an American acoustic rock band formed in 2002 as a project of Matthew Sweet, Pete Droge, and Shawn Mullins. Some very CSN moments throughout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Boceephus View Post
    I am pleasantly surprised by this album. I’m a huge CSN& sometimes Y fan. A release by The Thorns may be of interest. They were an American acoustic rock band formed in 2002 as a project of Matthew Sweet, Pete Droge, and Shawn Mullins. Some very CSN moments throughout.

Big fan of The Thorns album here. I really with they would have kept that project going as that debut album was great.

Me too! No Blue Sky is a timeless classic from that album. [emoji106]

Quote Originally Posted by Boceephus View Post

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Big fan of The Thorns album here. I really with they would have kept that project going as that debut album was great.
    Love that Thorns album. Great summer music.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Ditto. That's a great comparison. I'm a huge Matthew Sweet fan - "Altered Beast" is probably my favorite power pop album of all time. "Kimi Ga Suki" is right up there as well.

Beyond vague assertions of ‘early’ 2022, is there an actual release date on this yet? Took a quick glance on RR and did not see anything definitive.

Quote Originally Posted by julioscissors View Post
    Ditto. That's a great comparison. I'm a huge Matthew Sweet fan - "Altered Beast" is probably my favorite power pop album of all time. "Kimi Ga Suki" is right up there as well.
    I have always meant to explore more of Matthew Sweet's stuff, but never have. I will give that one a listen.

Quote Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
    Beyond vague assertions of ‘early’ 2022, is there an actual release date on this yet? Took a quick glance on RR and did not see anything definitive.
    It appears release is Feb 25.

d-virgilio-morse-jennings-banner.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by julioscissors View Post
    Thanks for the heads up on this. Gonna check it out.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Thanks for the heads up on this. Gonna check it out.
    This was the single from The Thorns album. Great little song:

Mine just shipped from Radiant Records. USPS says it will be here on Friday (Feb. 18).

My copy arrived in the mail yesterday. Listening to it now. I'd venture that if you like what you've heard so far, you won't be disappointed. Although, it's not all folksy acoustic stuff. The vocal harmonies are here in spades, but I'm up to "King for a Day" and this rocks more than anything thus far.

Just great songwriting throughout.

Ember
    It's a fascinating and very good album, even if some of the songwriting is, at least lyrically... lightweight.

I'm most taken by the "compare and contrast" exercise offered by comparing "Julia" before and after Neal Morsified it. The new chorus certainly turns the song into a pop single that could conceivably be some sort of hit. But the Jennings original (a) makes more sense lyrically and (2) is musically more interesting, at least to me, in spite of its need for more polish.

I also wish the NDV songs didn't stand out by their being the three worst songs on the album. His lyrics, in particular, seem to mostly consist of unrelated phrases that are usually familiar-sounding cliches, strung together in random order.

The Jennings songs are standouts, IMO, particularly "King for a Day."
    "I have not yet begun to procrastinate."

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    It's a fascinating and very good album, even if some of the songwriting is, at least lyrically... lightweight.

I'm most taken by the "compare and contrast" exercise offered by comparing "Julia" before and after Neal Morsified it. The new chorus certainly turns the song into a pop single that could conceivably be some sort of hit. But the Jennings original (a) makes more sense lyrically and (2) is musically more interesting, at least to me, in spite of its need for more polish.

I also wish the NDV songs didn't stand out by their being the three worst songs on the album. His lyrics, in particular, seem to mostly consist of unrelated phrases that are usually familiar-sounding cliches, strung together in random order.

The Jennings songs are standouts, IMO, particularly "King for a Day."
    I have only given it once good listen so far, but agree with some of your points. I much like the original version of "Julia" better than the one that opens the album. I don't think the NDV songs are bad, but compared to the material he released on his most recent solo album, they seem a bit generic. Jennings continues to be an emerging star and has proven that he can do any kind of music.

I need to give this some more in depth listens, but so far it is one of my favorite albums of the year.