Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: New band - Nick D’Virgilio, Neal Morse, Ross Jennings

I think this is a sort of tribute album to some of their influences. I hear many references, but so far:
    - Everything I am: Suite judy blue eyes (Crosby, Stills & Nash)
    - Another trip around the sun: We have heaven (Yes)
    - Second hand sons: Purple haze (Jimi Hendrix)

Another Trip Around the Sun also sounds a bit like Into the Storm by Yes.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    This has been in heavy rotation at Chez Rick. Wife digging it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankk View Post
    I think this is a sort of tribute album to some of their influences. I hear many references, but so far:
    - Everything I am: Suite judy blue eyes (Crosby, Stills & Nash)
    - Another trip around the sun: We have heaven (Yes)
    - Second hand sons: Purple haze (Jimi Hendrix)
    Yes, my first thought was that this was the best album Crosby, Stills & Nash never released.
    Very enjoyable, all the way through.
    Dan Maske

Agreed, thoroughly enjoyable. Reminds me of some of the ‘interlude’ songs from those early Spock’s albums.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    What's the percentage of prog on this, according to your progometers?

Ember
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    What's the percentage of prog on this, according to your progometers?
    Negligible. There is no song on this album that would suggest the players’ previous history if you didn’t already know them, except for Jennings’ and some of Morse’s solo work. It’s not 70s California Rock pastiche, but it’s the next thing to it. Not to CSN as Rutles are to Beatles, but possibly to CSN as Starcastle is to Yes. Maybe also evocative of some 80s jangly-guitar harmony bands like Gin Blossoms or Little River Band.

So fun, listenable, enjoyable, occasionally uplifting… not at all progressive. Tribute to a style?
    "I have not yet begun to procrastinate."

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    Negligible. There is no song on this album that would suggest the players’ previous history if you didn’t already know them, except for Jennings’ and some of Morse’s solo work. It’s not 70s California Rock pastiche, but it’s the next thing to it. Not to CSN as Rutles are to Beatles, but possibly to CSN as Starcastle is to Yes. Maybe also evocative of some 80s jangly-guitar harmony bands like Gin Blossoms or Little River Band.

So fun, listenable, enjoyable, occasionally uplifting… not at all progressive. Tribute to a style?
    Thanks, sounds like a good summary. Not for me, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Maske View Post
    my first thought was that this was the best album Crosby, Stills & Nash never released
    That seems to be a very good calling card for this band. It is refreshing to see that Neal is finally working with a drummer that isn't Mike Portnoy and other musicians.
    Neal has always been a huge Beatles fan and also collaborated on the tribute album released by Portnoy and Randy George recently covering King Crimson, Yes and Jethro Tull among a few.

I'll give this one a listen ;-)
    Last edited by Rajaz; 03-14-2022 at 11:06 AM. Reason: add text

I kind of like the CSN homage - a nice song too. It's not a bad album of nostalgic music. Not Prog but pleasant. My only issue with it is a personal one. When I listen I keep picturing in my mind one of them pushing his way past the other two to mug for the camera.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

Made me laugh ..... I thought about the LRB analogy also LOL. I also found the sound quality really good (for any fellow audiophile geeks here).
    Last edited by ca1ore; 03-14-2022 at 11:47 AM.

Listened to the whole thing; Nick D'Virgilio basically lends his vocals to this album and just in a very subtle soft drumming sound in the background.

I can't see how this effort can elevate them as major players in today's scene but it sure is a good CSN tribute but no more.

This is something that I can mix into my "Summer Firepit" playlist that will make people ask, "this is great - who is this?"
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

It’s been out for bit. I wonder about the albums legs.

It calls out for a listen every now and then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    This is something that I can mix into my "Summer Firepit" playlist that will make people ask, "this is great - who is this?"
    I’d be interested to know what’s in your “Summer Firepit” playlist ?

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    My only issue with it is a personal one. When I listen I keep picturing in my mind one of them pushing his way past the other two to mug for the camera.

Okay, we get it -- you don't like Nick D'Virgilio.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Boceephus View Post
    I’d be interested to know what’s in your “Summer Firepit” playlist ?

Mostly acoustic stuff and mellow classic rock. Some AM radio staples, singer-songwriter stuff, etc. But I like to mix the popular, heard it a million times stuff with some more obscure things that only music fans like most of us here would know. So, the D'Virgilio/Morse/Jennings stuff works perfectly.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Gotcha!

Dug it for 3-4 listens but as it's mostly fluff it's got no staying power, I mean sometimes it takes 3-4 listens to even crack the surface of a prog album and another 3-4 to start to get into it, not unexpected, good for what it is.

Heard it once, will play again 43 times because it sounds awesome from the git-go. SO glad they didn't use Portnoy.

How about D'Morjenn for a name?

2nd album "Sophomore" will be out soon. First single was Neal's "Anywhere the Wind Blows" now we got the second one and I think this one is even better. It's one of Ross' and it's really great

"Tiny Little Fires" - probably the most proggy song they have done but still with the CSN vibes - very cool. Ross singing here reminds me of Paul Brady

This might be the first time Neal played the bass in a music video.
    NG ~ BC ~ PA
    “Pointing out the problem doesn't make it go away!” —Mr. Enter

Well, CSN is one of my all-time favorite non-progressive groups. I crave good vocals harmonies, and it seems that this one could fit the bill.

Ember
    And Ross is using Neal's acoustic guitar.
    "I have not yet begun to procrastinate."

I listened to Another Trip Around the Sun again and I figured out why I liked it so much. It's because it reminded me of the Quebecois band Harmonium! No shit!

NG ~ BC ~ PA
    “Pointing out the problem doesn't make it go away!” —Mr. Enter