Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New band - Nick D’Virgilio, Neal Morse, Ross Jennings

New band - Nick D’Virgilio, Neal Morse, Ross Jennings

I didn't see this one coming. I suppose Neal must have found that he just had too much spare time. lol

Today’s the day! I’m delighted we can finally announce this:

Nick D’Virgilio (Big Big Train, ex-Spock’s Beard), Neal Morse (Transatlantic, NMB, ex-Spock’s Beard), and Ross Jennings (Haken, Novena) are pleased to announce the formation of their new trio D’Virgilio, Morse & Jennings.
    The group has signed to InsideOutMusic for the release of their debut album ‘Troika’ in early 2022.

Recorded during lockdown, the process began with Neal Morse writing some acoustic songs that he thought would be enhanced by strong vocal harmonies. He already knew how well his voice blended with former Spock's Beard bandmate and Big Big Train drummer/ vocalist, Nick D'Virgilio, who came on board, and considering a third man, the Americans sought out Haken's Ross Jennings from the UK to complete the trio. All three found they had songs that would benefit from the three part harmonic blend, and so they pooled their resources, inputting creatively into each other's compositions.

The tracks took shape with the musicians recording all of the music and vocals separately, yet the eclectic performances burst with the energy and excitement of the collaboration. Acoustic anthems, charged rockers and sensitive ballads are all part of the mix, and the unique blend of Ross, Neal and Nick's voices and styles have created an album in which you will encounter these musicians in a way you've never heard before.

Wow. This sounds cool.

Neal Morse has to be the hardest-working guy in Prog, along with Steven Wilson.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    So true. I wonder if anyone else will be in the "band" or if those guys are playing all of the instruments.

Could be some good harmonic vocals…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i would have hoped that the Neal Morse Band use their off time to do another album.

but with 3 singers, you should have some good harmonies and singer songs.
    as for who is going to play bass and guitars, i guess they will use someone low key.

So if Ross Jennings is on board, does this mean their music will lean a bit in the prog metal direction?
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Wow. This sounds cool.

Don't forget Mike Portnoy.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    So if Ross Jennings is on board, does this mean their music will lean a bit in the prog metal direction?
    What is the division of labor in Haken? Henshall solo is worth an occasional listen; I haven’t heard Jennings alone.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    This sounds very promising. Always loved Nick & Neal singing together. (Nick signed my copy of "Nick and Neal" at a Beer for Dolphins show.)

Ross Jennings' new solo album is very much closer to pop or songwriter than metal. I would actually expect this to be much more in the Morse wheelhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    i would have hoped that the Neal Morse Band use their off time to do another album.
    Didn't they just release one less than a month ago?

Don't forget Mike Portnoy.
    Don't need Portnoy when you've got Nick. Neal plays guitar and keys. Ross plays guitar. They only need a bass player.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    Yep.

Wow. This sounds cool.

And Steve Hackett. D'Virgiolio also seems to be pretty hard working.

Jonas Reingold is constantly working too.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    ey.
    Not sure if you are joking or not, but in case you are not, the NMB just released a new album a few weeks ago.

As for this project, I am a fan of all 3 of these guys work so this will be an auto-buy for me.

QUOTE=LeFrog;1071070]Didn't they just release one less than a month ago?[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by yodathedog View Post
    Yep.
    It was a rhetorical question. I was suprised that one could complain NMB didn't use the lockdown time to make a new album when they actually did just that a month ago.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by yodathedog View Post
    Yep.
    It was a rhetorical question. I was suprised that one could complain NMB didn't use the lockdown time to make a new album when they actually did just that a month ago.

I'm looking forward to this, maybe a bit of Kings X vibe with the 3 vocalists? Band name is a bit clumsy as "D'Virgilio" doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. Change the band name to the name of the album - Troika...
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

They've got a full band with the three of them. They all play guitar, very well. Neal could easily have covered bass himself, and even NDV played bass on his last solo album (and got a compliment for it from Mr. Levin!).

As for the musical approach of the album, think: CSN.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottAM View Post
    even NDV played bass on his last solo album (and got a compliment for it from Mr. Levin!).
    Nick played bass in 1996 when he was in Kaviar. Their 2002 CD features some of Nick's bass playing throughout the album.

As for the musical approach of the album, think: CSN.
    Scott, is that your inside information or just a guess? I know you've got the track with some of these things.

Quote Originally Posted by doh View Post
    Scott, is that your inside information or just a guess? I know you've got the track with some of these things.

I'd tell you
    If I could only remember my name...

I'd tell you
    If I could only remember my name...
    That's answer enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by doh View Post
    Ross Jennings' new solo album is very much closer to pop or songwriter than metal.
    It’s quite good. Definitely a poppier version of Haken but also a few jazzy moments.

I’ll put this new project on my to buy list.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.