Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Today: 40th Anniversary of KC’s Discipline

Banned

Today: 40th Anniversary of KC’s Discipline

From Adrian Belew:

today is truly the 40th anniversary of the release of Discipline. I simply want to say thank you to Tony, Bill, and Robert for making one of the most unique and lasting contributions to modern music I have ever been a part of.
    it wasn’t easy, but “I LIKE IT!!!”

to read a lot more I have to say about it:

https://musicaficionado.blog/2020/03...g-crimson/amp/

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Adrian did an amazing job on Discipline.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

^ He certainly did! The whole album is just perfect.

Remember a few years ago (maybe the 30th anniversary?) when Belew was bandying about the idea of reuniting Crim to tour and play this album?

That isn't likely to happen, but how about a Stickmen + Belew tour? First set could be a collection of Stickmen/Belew songs. Second set, Discipline.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    That whole Drive to 81 thing was because Fripp claimed there was going to be some apocalypse caused by planetary alignment. I'm not sure whether he believed that stuff or it was just some attention-getting gimmick to get himself some--you guessed it--Exposure. There's also the possibility he was just putting people on.

As a teenage progger I never really entertained anything from the dreaded 80s. No trons? No Nick!

Thankfully, as a more mature and rounded individual, I have to come realise what a work of perfection this is. And yes, Belew is first among equals here.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    As a teenage progger I never really entertained anything from the dreaded 80s. No trons? No Nick!

Thankfully, as a more mature and rounded individual, I have to come realise what a work of perfection this is. And yes, Belew is first among equals here.
    I have to admit that after that phenomenal UK album, I wasn’t super excited about this release, however I have drummer genes and have loved Bruford’s work. When I hear the album now, I enjoy it more than when I first heard it.

For me, an immediate favorite that has only deepened over time. And Trey Gunn's new publication of the complete score is a marvel.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    For me, an immediate favorite that has only deepened over time. And Trey Gunn's new publication of the complete score is a marvel.
    What’s this? Printed score? A recording?

One of my favorite albums, crucial in pushing me firmly in a Prog listening direction. Seeing them on tour then buying the LP the next morning.

Wake & Bake
    Last edited by JKL2000; 09-23-2021 at 08:48 AM.

It's an OK album, but I prefer Fear Of Music by some margin.

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Printed score for all three 80s discs.

I have been learning to play the dual gtr parts of the title track on keys.

On page 2! lol

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    It's an OK album, but I prefer Fear Of Music by some margin.
    Why the comparison?
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Remain in Light would probably be a fairer fight in a Duke out with Discipline. FoM is fantastic though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Why the comparison?
    Oh, just a random thought. There's no comparison between 80s Crimson's sound and Talking Heads. So, just a random, 'pull it out of the Ether' kind of comment.

Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    Remain in Light would probably be a fairer fight in a Duke out with Discipline. FoM is fantastic though.
    Fear Of Music is my fave TH album by light years.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    viz. https://musicscores.bandcamp.com/mer...s-king-crimson
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Oh, just a random thought. There's no comparison between 80s Crimson's sound and Talking Heads. So, just a random, 'pull it out of the Ether' kind of comment.
    Fear Of Music had Fripp on it and Remain In Light had Belew. Both albums were excellent and both these guitarists had key inputs to them (Fripp on I Zimbra and Belew on everything on Remain In Light, but my favourite is Born Under Punches).
    We walked arm in arm with madness, and every little breeze whispered of the secret love we had for our disease

Fear Of Music is my fave TH album by light years.
    Mine too. But Discipline is much much better.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Man, that makes me feel old.

I remember the day the album hit the record stores. A friend of mine scooped up a copy quickly and we headed immediately to his stereo with much anticipation for the latest Crimson release after a long absence. Our first reaction, expecting something akin to LTIA, or SBB, or Red, was "WTF is this?" But it didn't take long for the shear brilliance of the album to sink in. Still, after 40 years, one of my all-time favorites. The KC albums that followed did not, IMHO, exhibit the same level of brilliance.

Over the years I've heard people claim that Belew's singing style was a ripoff of Byrne's, but he was singing that way on Zappa's '77 tour already, that's just how he sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Over the years I've heard people claim that Belew's singing style was a ripoff of Byrne's, but he was singing that way on Zappa's '77 tour already, that's just how he sounds.
    Some people also have claimed that whole style of 80's King Crimson is Talking Heads ripoff which is of course ridiculous.

A rip off would be inaccurate but I do think there is some unconscious cross-pollination between KC, TH and even Synchronicity era Police.

But Discipline is much much better.
    Um...No.

Some people also have claimed that whole style of 80's King Crimson is Talking Heads ripoff which is of course ridiculous.
    Well, rip-off is probably too strong, but they're definitely plowing the same field.

I first got this when it was an auto-shipment from Columbia House that I decided to keep. I thought at the time that "Elephant Talk" sounded like David Byrne if he took even more drugs. There's more than a little Andy Summers in the rhythm riff as well. I suspect that the unconscious cross-pollination theory is correct because Fripp was everywhere in the time leading up to this album.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Um...No.
    Um...Yes.