Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FEATURED CD : Marillion : Script For A Jesters Tear

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    The recital version is on youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is-WlIn300A

Very nostalgic to watch. And so many very young people in the audience! I should not be surprised, coz I was one of them at the time. I dont think any prog band after Marillion succeeded in drawing so many young people to their shows.
    Much as I love the albums, I hadn't listened to this song in ten years or longer. It does take me back...

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    As a big PG-era Genesis fan, I was excited to hear Marillion when I was alerted to their prog connection. I've listened to this album several times but can't find anything to enjoy melodically. To my ears it's all style and no substance. The same goes for the follow-up, however I was pleased when I finally got around to Misplaced Childhood, where I finally heard some actual melodic stuff going on.

What about the epic-length "Grendel?" Is that something I should check out? I've never heard that one. Always found it odd that they had an epic-length piece that got discarded before their debut album.
    I remember going to see them on the script tour and Fish saying "anyone shouting out for Grendel can eff off" or words to that effect.

Giving it a spin this morning -and really hitting the spot. Fish certainly knew how to do unrequited love with style. And what if they were influenced by Genesis? Genesis weren't actually doing Genesis anymore by then -and all art starts with some imitation.
    'I would advise stilts for the quagmires"

Fish has posted a very early version of Garden Party a few days ago. I haven't heard his full description intro of it, but I might have heard him say it's the first version, recorded in a cottage, with him singing only to a bass line by Diz. It starts around the 47 minute mark of his Nov 3 episode of his Fish On Friday video at his Facebook. His note there says YouTube too but that episode doesn't seem to be up on his YouTube yet. Several minutes before the 47 minute mark, he plays an old recording of him singing parts of Genesis's SEBTP and other things. He plays something else too, a promo to introduce himself, where the recording says "I'm 22" etc.

Quote Originally Posted by abc123 View Post
    Fish has posted a very early version of Garden Party a few days ago. I haven't heard his full description intro of it, but I might have heard him say it's the first version, recorded in a cottage, with him singing only to a bass line by Diz. It starts around the 47 minute mark of his Nov 3 episode of his Fish On Friday video at his Facebook. His note there says YouTube too but that episode doesn't seem to be up on his YouTube yet. Several minutes before the 47 minute mark, he plays an old recording of him singing parts of Genesis's SEBTP and other things. He plays something else too, a promo to introduce himself, where the recording says "I'm 22" etc.
    I saw 30 mins or so of Fish on Friday last night, and he played a very early version of 'The Web', also with only his vocal and Diz on bass.