Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favorite random non-musical bits on albums

I like the little movie clip from The Prophecy at the beginning of Frost*'s "Milliontown."

"Would you ever really want to see an angel?"
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Fave: "What key is this in? Wait! WAIT!! WHAT KEY IS IT IN?!" - Branford Marsalis on Sting's Shadows in the Rain
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    As a teenager, I loved the way Sabbath's Master of Reality started with a cough, which repeated like a broken record, then went into Sweet Leaf. I also loved the way Purple's Fireball started with the air conditioner powering up. They had to wait patiently all day for that to happen.
    I knew a guy who would do the Iomi guitar riff every time he coughed. I should have asked him if he knew any other songs on the album. Lol.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    Fave: "What key is this in? Wait! WAIT!! WHAT KEY IS IT IN?!" - Branford Marsalis on Sting's Shadows in the Rain
    that's a great one! I always thought it was Daryl saying that, though - as a bassist, I had that happen to me many times while the leader counted off the tune.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I knew a guy who would do the Iomi guitar riff every time he coughed. I should have asked him if he knew any other songs on the album. Lol.
    That's too funny
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    Good one!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    that's a great one! I always thought it was Daryl saying that, though - as a bassist, I had that happen to me many times while the leader counted off the tune.
    Thought I remember reading that it was Marsalis, but I could be wrong. Either way, it's a good one. And a kicking tune.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I had a coughing fit one time at work, and as I stopped, the head chef, Valentino, started singing the Sweet Leaf guitar riff.

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    I have always enjoyed the heck out of Rockpommel's Lands strategically placed "announcements", which serve as comedy relief to the bombastic and gorgeous music heard on this album.
    Totally exhausted Ernie went off this severe place and followed a way leading to the mountains. Half an hour later he rested in the shade of a HOWARD JOHNSON'S where he began to consider whether he should turn around the record or have another hot dog...
    This was the one I thought of first.

How about the spoken bit on Solar Music Live?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    This was the one I thought of first.

How about the spoken bit on Solar Music Live?
    Yes, another good one. Grobschnitt liked to insert silly, but funny, bits of laughter and other murmured sound into their music. As quoted in Wiki:

Grobschnitt was a West German rock band which existed between 1970 and 1989.[1] Their style evolved as time passed, beginning with psychedelic rock in the early 1970s before transitioning into symphonic progressive rock, NDW and finally pop rock in the mid-1980s. Grobschnitt, unlike other bands, utilized humor in their music in the form of unexpected noises and silly lyrics and concepts.

And, of course, "Isn't this where/We came in?" at the end and beginning of The Wall.

On Manfred Mann's Out of Africa album, the song "Statistics" is haunted by a voice saying, "Who are you? Give details."
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I had a coughing fit one time at work, and as I stopped, the head chef, Valentino, started singing the Sweet Leaf guitar riff.
    I guess that's a thing then. Do we get to start singing a "a river a mountain to be crossed...." when people run up the stairs and close a door too?
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    Yes, another good one. Grobschnitt liked to insert silly, but funny, bits of laughter and other murmured sound into their music. As quoted in Wiki:

Grobschnitt was a West German rock band which existed between 1970 and 1989.[1] Their style evolved as time passed, beginning with psychedelic rock in the early 1970s before transitioning into symphonic progressive rock, NDW and finally pop rock in the mid-1980s. Grobschnitt, unlike other bands, utilized humor in their music in the form of unexpected noises and silly lyrics and concepts.
    I thought of that too but I don't speak German so I have no idea what he's saying. Of course there is the "would you like to sit on your bum on the surface of the sun" part which is the only english spoken words on that album/track I believe.

One of my faves -- the beginning of Zep's "Black Country Woman" where they are talking about leaving the airplane sound in the recording, lol
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

TVOD by the Normal has some cool clips dubbed in, one is from the Three Stooges...!

One of Orbital's early tracks is also based on a sound clip from Star Trek: TNG
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    TVOD by the Normal has some cool clips dubbed in, one is from the Three Stooges...!
    Making me think of the bits of Chrome’s Alien Soundtracks that always makes me smile: excerpts of some vintage 70s commercials they edited in.

“In a moment, Pat Stevens, who hates buttermilk, is going to—”

“What’s that stunt (?) boy doing in our bathroom?”
    “Bailing out the sink! The drain is clogged!”

The latter seems to be a Liquid Plumbr™ commercial!
    Last edited by Progbear; 11-17-2021 at 06:02 PM.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Daevid Allen's wonderful Good Morning! album has some lovely Deya ambience - a cock crowing, some sparrows chirping away as they do in the Mediterranean. All adds to the magic of the album.
    'I would advise stilts for the quagmires"

On Genesis Live at the beginning of Musical Box, Peter Gabriel says "that was an unaccompanied bass pedal solo by Michael Rutherford". It always makes me chuckle!
    Last edited by Tangram; 01-05-2022 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    What's funny is that wasn't on the album originally but was added with the reissue. And I can't imagine this album without it, because it completely sets the mood.
    I had forgotten why it wasn't on the original release so I pulled out the remastered original and remixed 1987 cd set. It states that the album was done and manufactured when they received Orson Welles' narration recording. It was used as part of the initial media presentation of the album in Los Angeles. Part of the narration was used on the remixed album. Parsons regrets that they never got to meet Orson Welles.
    Last edited by Tangram; 11-18-2021 at 06:47 PM.

Nobody mentioned the repeating water drop In the runout groove of Pink Floyd's Atom Heart Mother album. Wonder what the record is that someone listened to it before finally getting up and lifting the needle?

About fifteen minutes after the title track of This Strange Engine ends, Marillion burst out laughing

Quote Originally Posted by loshammeros View Post
    About fifteen minutes after the title track of This Strange Engine ends, Marillion burst out laughing
    The story I remember hearing was they did that deliberately, because they wanted fans to think there was a "big epic 20 minute piece of music", or whatever. I suppose the laughter was them finally "turning the cards over" on the listener, like saying "APRIL FOOLS" or something.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbassdrum View Post
    "Attention all Planets of the Solar Federation Attention all Planets of the Solar Federation Attention all Planets of the Solar Federation. We have assumed control." - Rush
    Anyone else ever noticed that
    "Attention all planets of the Solar Federation" is 7 words repeated 3 times, adding up to 21, and
    "We have assumed control" is 4 words repeated 3 times, adding up to 12?
    Knowing Neil this had to be something he did on purpose, just to see if anyone caught it...l have never seen it mentioned anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by veteranof1000psychicwars View Post
    Anyone else ever noticed that
    "Attention all planets of the Solar Federation" is 7 words repeated 3 times, adding up to 21, and
    "We have assumed control" is 4 words repeated 3 times, adding up to 12?
    Knowing Neil this had to be something he did on purpose, just to see if anyone caught it...l have never seen it mentioned anywhere.
    I never knew that but I kind of doubt it was an accident. I think some bands put these "easter eggs" in their music deliberately. Obviously the Beatles were pretty well known for that but they weren't the only ones.