Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: People Constantly Talking At Concerts

Quote Originally Posted by llanwydd View Post
    I remember a time when this would not have been an issue. Back in the 70s, most bands were louder than the audience. My ears would be ringing for a whole day after a Yes concert at Madison Square Garden the three times I saw them there. In fact, the crowd could hardly have drowned them out when I saw them in Orlando, FL in 2011.

You guys must go to some quiet concerts.
    If you look at my original post that started this thread (which was more than a year ago), I was commenting on a James Taylor concert which had a lot of quiet moments. As you say, for loud shows this is not as much of a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    If you look at my original post that started this thread (which was more than a year ago), I was commenting on a James Taylor concert which had a lot of quiet moments. As you say, for loud shows this is not as much of a problem.
    I think maybe it also depends on where you are sitting. If you are sitting in the front row or first few rows then maybe not. I usually sat somewhere in the middle or back and I could almost always hear people talking regardless of how loud the band was. Even with earplugs I could still hear people talking also. Maybe certain bands attract more of a certain kind of people who have to yack. When I saw Genesis it wasn't really an issue at all. Maybe Genesis fans are more polite. Not sure.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

I hate to say this but why is it always older women? Late Gen-X/Boomer types, mid 50s to 70. I went to see The Book of Mormon and two women ahead of me were literally COMMENTING. ON. EVERYTHING. onstage. Loudly. "Oh my god, they're singing about Africa!" "Oh my god, look another person's singing now!" "Oh my god, this is so funny, they're singing about being Mormon!" etc. etc. I leaned forward and asked them if they were going to talk during the entire show. They apologized profusely and never said another word.

Same thing happened at The Beatles "Love" show in Vegas. Older woman, 20something daughter. As the music got louder, so did their conversation. Same deal, I asked the same question, they apologized profusely, never said another word.

You're best off addressing it immediately if it happens to you. If nobody says a word to them, it's tacit approval for them to keep being schmucky.
    Millstream Park - Chaos in Concordance (new music reviews)

The last time I saw Mark Knopfler (2015) I was seated directly behind a gaggle of 40-something ladies and their accompanying, continuous cocktails, who screamed for "Sultans Of Swing" throughout and then, when the song was performed, hooted and screeched through the entire number and left immediately following.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
    I hate to say this but why is it always older women?
    Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    The last time I saw Mark Knopfler (2015) I was seated directly behind a gaggle of 40-something ladies and their accompanying, continuous cocktails, who screamed for "Sultans Of Swing" throughout and then, when the song was performed, hooted and screeched through the entire number and left immediately following.
    is this thread going misogynic and ageist?

Young women can make much more noise.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    is this thread going misogynic and ageist?

Young women can make much more noise.
    The offending individuals in this case were all women. No men among them. Or children. I was 59 years old at the time. So save your eyeroll.

I would say that people behaving like jackasses at a concert span all ages, genders, socioeconomic categories.
    And it does not require trying to yell over the music.
    We went to a Second City show in a smallish venue. We were asked to not use phones, etc.
    The room was very dark except for the lit stage.
    A person seated nearby kept dragging out their phone at full brightness to check something. Over and over. It lit up the side of the room.
    Sigh.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    The offending individuals in this case were all women. No men among them. Or children. I was 59 years old at the time. So save your eyeroll.

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    I would say that people behaving like jackasses at a concert span all ages, genders, socioeconomic categories.
    And it does not require trying to yell over the music.
    point, set & match sg23gvainqueurg23g.gif

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    We went to a Second City show in a smallish venue. We were asked to not use phones, etc.
    The room was very dark except for the lit stage.
    A person seated nearby kept dragging out their phone at full brightness to check something. Over and over. It lit up the side of the room.
    Sigh.
    this happens in movie theatre as well.

Dumb smartphone kids who don't even look at the sliver screen for the duration of the film.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

The blabbering people can't be very interested in the music.
    They just want to be able to say 'I was there'.
    Using coke probably doesn't help.

I remember once at a concert with Supersilent 2 younger guys who babbled away as if they were alone in the room.
    Luckily they got so unpopular that they had to leave.

I have absolutly no problem telling people to shut the fuck up , and ,depending on mood , am willing to escalate as needed. But I'm results oriented and try to tailor reponse with achieving the desired outcome. As such involving staff is always an option. I have demanded a refund if the refuse to do their job . This selfish behavior by co attendies is one of the primary reasons I have turned from an avid live music fan to an at home listener. I made an exception recently for the Geeks/Anderson show. Overall not a disaster, but... There was the guy 3 rows up who was fixated on screaming GATES OF DELERIUM at his max output at breaks between songs , quiet spots in songs , anywhere else he felt the need. Meh , he wasn't on top of me in my ear so,meh . BUT , the guy who moved from his seat to lean,standing, against the wall behind my wife , seriously invading her space was an issue. I shot him with the death stare multiple times but he was immune. At intermission I traded places with the wife . I guess he overheard the conversation with the wife and after a death stare before the show start , moved his act to a remote location. No direct contact needed. Its to much money to have to tolerate the need to make an issue out of something like common curtesy that should have been learned in grade school . I prefer as of the last decade at least to avoid the situation completely. Its a shame that so many areas of joy in life of late are ruined by the inconsiderate self centered behavior displayed in so many facets of society.

Ever been at a concert in Italy? Everybody is talking the whole time :-) and everybody not having at least 3 cell phones in their belt holsters is
    considered a "Lone Wolf".

worst ever experience was being with a nice lady in a flowstone cave where venezian gondolas where floating in a crystal clear pond stuffed with
    musicians in fancy historic costumes and masks playing classical music. Very romantic overall with great lighting effects.

But two rows in the back of us was a small child screaming: "MAMA when it will be over, MAMA how long it will still last" over a whole hour without any interruption.

:-) VERY ROMANTIC

Just as annoying as constant talkers are those who decide to stand up and dance in their seating area. Especially those who look around to see who's watching them.

Take it to the aisles. Better yet, take it to the restroom, where there's a mirror so you can watch yourself.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Ever been at a concert in Italy? Everybody is talking the whole time :-) and everybody not having at least 3 cell phones in their belt holsters is
    considered a "Lone Wolf".

worst ever experience was being with a nice lady in a flowstone cave where venezian gondolas where floating in a crystal clear pond stuffed with
    musicians in fancy historic costumes and masks playing classical music. Very romantic overall with great lighting effects.

But two rows in the back of us was a small child screaming: "MAMA when it will be over, MAMA how long it will still last" over a whole hour without any interruption.

:-) VERY ROMANTIC
    Keel hauling wasn't an option?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Keel hauling wasn't an option?
    Waterboarding small children doesn't impress the ladies...

As a child I was taken to outdoor big band jazz concerts.
    My 'first', non garage band at a neighborhood party, concert was Woody Herman and his Thundering Herd in a shopping center parking lot.
    Still remember it.
    Now a days I see young folks at concerts, Classical, Jazz, and Rock. By young I mean < 5 years old.
    I think the primary motivation is the cost of baby sitting. Some really want their kids to be exposed to music.
    But squirmy crying kids at shows at a seated venue is a distraction to everyone around.
    The family frequently leaves early anyway due to excess squirm or meltdowns.
    Mmmmm, smells like entitlement.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Last edited by rickawakeman; 08-13-2023 at 02:39 PM.

My kids used to sit on the side of the stage and they were well mannered at festivals and bars. The establishments always gave them free meals.

The only issue I had was with the music we played which was a handpicked list of songs that every bar band in the tri state area played...and the bar bands themselves who were all amateur sounding.

Unlike the 70s when I played concert halls to a Rock crowd...this was all about cowboy hats and pick up trucks. A redneck mentality in the social environment. It was a huge mistake on my behalf.

Everybody had a "Back In The Woods " mentality and most people were racists which they revealed that after meeting our drummer. On breaks I took my kids away from those surroundings and they learned how wrong it was to act that way.