Thread: The Everything Podcast Thread

The Everything Podcast Thread

Anyone hear listen to podcasts? Music? News? Entertainment? Other?

At times in the past I've had some looooong commutes, fact of life living and working in the SF Bay Area. To get through the daily slogs, I listened to podcasts and have developed a few favorites.

Music

Metal - The two that have stuck are, Into the Combine and Radical Research. Into The Combine is three dudes talking and playing Metal with a bent on Death, but no shortage of other genres. Radical Research is Jeff Wagner (a huge Prog, Prog Metal and Fusion Fan) plus Hunter Ginn (Canvas Solaris drummer) producing subject/band/genre based episodes with great industry and listening insight. For most here I suggest a look at Radical Research as the genre inclusion is wide enough to satisfy the diverse PE crowd.

Prog - Only one Prog based Podcast has stuck so far, Prog Notes. Radical Research, mentioned above would also qualify as a Prog podcast.

Soundtrack - By far the most podcasts of any "niche" genre and many with insanely educated podcasters. Here is my list without commentary as there are too many - Cinematic Sound Radio Podcast, The Goldsmith Odyssey, The Legacy of John Williams, Soundtrack Showdown, Settling the Score, The Art of the Score, A Score to Settle, Score: The Podcast, The Soundtrack Show, and Soundtracking with Edith Bowman

Note - While all are must listens for me, the Goldsmith and Williams podcasts are amazing in their aspirations. Goldsmith Odyssey is chronicling ALL Jerry Goldsmith scores (200+ scores over 5+ decades!!)

Music / Rock - These are the quirky, interesting music podcasts I enjoy, A History of Rock Music in 500 Songs is a truly ambitious effort that includes fascinating stories of both popular and less well known songs. Discord and Rhyme a group of rock reviewers who migrated from message boards to podcasts. Their collective, in-depth knowledge of popular music is enthralling and the breadth of rock genres they cover (Prog included) is impressive. Bizarre Albums is a guilty pleasure of mine. Tony Thaxton tells the story of a bizarre or novelty record in each episode. Ranging from William Shatner to Leonard Nimoy to Spiderman. Strong Songs by Kirk Hamilton, an educated multi-instrumentalist, is a show in which he breaks down a song one note, phrase, theme at a time. While much is popular music, he does include some film music and prog.

I was planning on adding other non-music podcasts, however I'm running out of steam.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

For prog. my favorite is Marty Dorfman's The Waiting Room, Friday at 8PM EST and Monday at Noon EST on houseofprog.com

I bought Jeff Wagner's book and loved it! I didn't know he had a podcast; I'll check it out.

I'm fond of Tabletop Genesis though of course the focus is quite narrow (Genesis & related) so it may not be for everyone. But it's fun to hear discussion of the more obscure album cuts that don't get a lot of attention.

Quote Originally Posted by EBES View Post
    I bought Jeff Wagner's book and loved it! I didn't know he had a podcast; I'll check it out.

I'm fond of Tabletop Genesis though of course the focus is quite narrow (Genesis & related) so it may not be for everyone. But it's fun to hear discussion of the more obscure album cuts that don't get a lot of attention.
    Jeff Wagner is the closest I've come to finding someone with nearly the same musical taste as my own. Prog, Fusion, Metal, and the only one missing is Soundtracks. Plus he's smart as a whip. Hunter Ginn brings a ton of inside knowledge as a metal musician.

There are so many single topic Podcasts to sort through and I imagine Genesis is a biggie, along with Grateful Dead, etc.'

The only podcast I listen to is Stuff You Should Know. They cover a broad area of subjects, from true crime to unsolved mysteries, to how do ballpoint pens work, all with humor and heart. It's fun because you never know what you're going to get.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    The only podcast I listen to is Stuff You Should Know. They cover a broad area of subjects, from true crime to unsolved mysteries, to how do ballpoint pens work, all with humor and heart. It's fun because you never know what you're going to get.
    I'll have to check it out. Boy did they score with that title.

For music, I enjoy:

The Album Years - Steven Wilson and Tim Bowness
    Nothing is Real, A Beatles Podcast
    Tabletop Genesis
    -noisynoise
    www.polarizedguru.com - 5-piece jazz fusion group
    www.incandescentsky.com - inventive improvisational instrumental ensemble

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    Jeff Wagner is the closest I've come to finding someone with nearly the same musical taste as my own. Prog, Fusion, Metal, and the only one missing is Soundtracks. Plus he's smart as a whip. Hunter Ginn brings a ton of inside knowledge as a metal musician.

There are so many single topic Podcasts to sort through and I imagine Genesis is a biggie, along with Grateful Dead, etc.'
    Yeah I got his book a couple of years ago and I'm still getting new things from it I like, and also finding new things elsewhere that I like and then realizing he covered them in his book. I'm excited about hearing his podcast.

I listen to only one podcast NPR’s Piano Puzzler
    “ Every week on Performance Today™, Bruce Adolphe re-writes a familiar tune in the style of a classical composer. We get one of our listeners on the phone, and our caller listens to Bruce play his Piano Puzzler™. They then try to do two things: name the hidden tune, and name the composer whose style Bruce is mimicking. From American Public Media.”

It can get very esoteric lately we’ve had Ain’t Misbehaving in the style of Schubert, the Star Spangled Banner in the style of Schoenberg and Bruce is not shy about playing tunes in the style of Messiaen or Janacek. He really is a smart musician.
    My wife and I challenge each other to get the answer before the contestant does.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000545058125

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    I listen to only one podcast NPR’s Piano Puzzler
    “ Every week on Performance Today™, Bruce Adolphe re-writes a familiar tune in the style of a classical composer. We get one of our listeners on the phone, and our caller listens to Bruce play his Piano Puzzler™. They then try to do two things: name the hidden tune, and name the composer whose style Bruce is mimicking. From American Public Media.”

It can get very esoteric lately we’ve had Ain’t Misbehaving in the style of Schubert, the Star Spangled Banner in the style of Schoenberg and Bruce is not shy about playing tunes in the style of Messiaen or Janacek. He really is a smart musician.
    My wife and I challenge each other to get the answer before the contestant does.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000545058125
    That sounds awesome! Thanks for sharing and I can't wait to dive in.

Quote Originally Posted by EBES View Post
    Yeah I got his book a couple of years ago and I'm still getting new things from it I like, and also finding new things elsewhere that I like and then realizing he covered them in his book. I'm excited about hearing his podcast.
    One of the great things about Radical Research is the variety of genres covered. You could review the episodes and select shows based on your genre preferences.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Wanted to recommend a new podcast just in time for Father’s Day, #1 Dad. It’s about comedian Gary Vider’s relationship with his father, a con-man who got them into games and locker rooms at MSG throughout his childhood by posing as representatives of Sports Illustrated for Kids.

So look for #1 Dad wherever you get your podcasts. The first two episodes are out, and it’s quite interesting.

Just yesterday l ran across MEOW: A Podcast For Cats. The host picks a book about a person or topic like William Blake or Norman Mailer or the teachings of Gurdjieff, and reads from the book for a half hour in meows. It is fucking bonkers. The guy is up to 30 episodes. I admire his commitment!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by veteranof1000psychicwars View Post
    Just yesterday l ran across MEOW: A Podcast For Cats. The host picks a book about a person or topic like William Blake or Norman Mailer or the teachings of Gurdjieff, and reads from the book for a half hour in meows. It is fucking bonkers. The guy is up to 30 episodes. I admire his commitment!
    If he's making any money from that, it's a sweet gig!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    If he's making any money from that, it's a sweet gig!
    I think he must be. He also has a book out (called Meow: A Novel) consisting of 80,000 printed meows. In hardback and paperback editions! Man, l wish l had thought of that.

Also, l found a great 14 episode podcast called Wind Of Change, where a guy tries to get to the bottom of the story that the famous Scorpions song was actually written by the CIA.