Thread: One Year in Durham

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar

One Year in Durham

November was my first anniversary of leaving NJ and I am still getting used to Durham, but am liking it here quite a bit. Learning where the record stores are, but went to this one place in Wilmington called the Record Bar that was cool. Anyone know any other places in NC to check out?
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    November was my first anniversary of leaving NJ and I am still getting used to Durham, but am liking it here quite a bit. Learning where the record stores are, but went to this one place in Wilmington called the Record Bar that was cool. Anyone know any other places in NC to check out?
    Charlotte. PE's own Polmico should be a good source of info

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Thanks! I told people here I am still adjusting to a big state. They do not realize how small NJ is compared to NC.

What are you looking for - vinyl or CD? Mainstream stuff or prog? --Peter

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I'm probably not the best person to ask for record store advice. There is a good one here in Charlotte. Lunchbox Records, in the Plaza-Midwood neighborhood, is well-known and beloved. Their stock of vinyl is excellent, but I do not collect vinyl. I'm strictly CD, so I my shopping online at Wayside and Laser CD.

Charlotte, as they like to say, has a lot. I can certainly recommend stops for restaurants, breweries and music venues.

Thanks! I told people here I am still adjusting to a big state. They do not realize how small NJ is compared to NC.
    I do!

My wife (fiancé at the time) spent a year and half in Belmar, NJ. This was in the mid-2000s. From there, we moved (back) to Georgia, then Texas, then Arizona, then South Carolina and finally to Charlotte.

If you want to go someplace in NJ, you'll be there in 30 minutes (allowing for traffic). NYC? Philly? Maybe an hour.

When you're out west, in big open spaces like Arizona, you just sort of assume you'll be in your car for at least an hour.

We have been in Charlotte for a decade now and are still exploring. Besides the triangle (which I assume you've had a chance to explore a little) and coastal cities like Wilmington (which we have, regrettably, only been to once), the mountains and the Outer Banks are destination spots.

We are particularly fond of a small mountain town called Black Mountain, about thirty minutes from Asheville.

We've learned a lot about our state from watching a local travel show on the NC PBS station. North Carolina Weekend is an excellent source for NC travel tips: https://www.pbsnc.org/watch/nc-weekend/

I'm happy to follow-up on any of this. Just let me know.

Cheers,
    Matt
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I'm originally from Rhode Island. Most people there (at least 30 years ago) would not go anywhere that was further than 15 or 20 minutes away. "Nah, that's too far to go."
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Due to my attendance and involvement with ProgDay over the years I have spent quite a bit of time in the Raleigh / Durham area and have always liked it. The traffic can get much at times, but it reminds me a lot of where I live back home in Michigan. Then you are a couple hours from the coast in one direction and a couple of hours from the mountains in the other. Seems like it would be a cool place to live.

Big fan of Black Mountain as well - Hopey's is like the Big Lots of Fresh Market or Whole Foods; always stock up on great stuff when I'm in that area. Interesting factoid, my maternal grandmother apparently hiked from Black Mountain to Mount Mitchell in the 1910's. As much as I've been hiking the past few years, even that trek would have me thinking twice! --Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Proglodite View Post
    vinyl or cd. I tend to have a rather strange taste in music. I am into dark stuff mostly and older stuff. Cannot stand mainstream for the most part. I mean, one of the bands I like listening to is probably the epitome of mainstream in their days (ABBA), but most of what I am hearing these days is outright dreadful.

thanks on information! I will look up the distances and make plans to check these out! I will also check out the link for the travel show!

Just out of curiosity, I have started pestering thrift shops and at one, I found a drinking horn for something called Epicenter in Rockingham, NC. Was that some kind of festival? Since I cannot retrieve my Hard Rock glass I put my dice in, I cleaned it up and plan to use it for that, but it has a Bad Acid font on it and I was thinking it is a music festival of some sort.

I've got tentative plans to hit Books Do Furnish a Room (Durham) and maybe Reader's Corner (Raleigh) on Wednesday.

Books Do probably has a larger selection of vinyl and CD's, but their prices tend to be a little higher. Good selection of 60s/70s underground and psych stuff; they've also got the best selection of underground comics in the area. But be warned if you haven't been there before - their building looks like it's going to cave in at any moment, and the main entrance area looks like a hoarder's paradise (but the actual inventory is fairly well organized).

Reader's Corner is my personal favorite - great prices. Smaller selection in general, but generally well-curated and sales from anything on their sidewalk goes to public radio.

Peter

I am in Greensboro area. Come on over and try Hippo Records.

vinyl or cd and preferably not mainstream. I tend to like dark stuff

I've got tentative plans to hit Books Do Furnish a Room (Durham) and maybe Reader's Corner (Raleigh) on Wednesday.

Books Do probably has a larger selection of vinyl and CD's, but their prices tend to be a little higher. Good selection of 60s/70s underground and psych stuff; they've also got the best selection of underground comics in the area. But be warned if you haven't been there before - their building looks like it's going to cave in at any moment, and the main entrance area looks like a hoarder's paradise (but the actual inventory is fairly well organized).

Reader's Corner is my personal favorite - great prices. Smaller selection in general, but generally well-curated and sales from anything on their sidewalk goes to public radio.

Peter
    I have been to Bookreader's Corner! Love that place!

Quote Originally Posted by IncogNeato View Post
    I am in Greensboro area. Come on over and try Hippo Records.
    Thanks!

Books Do Furnish a Room in Durham has a great selection of rare psych and late 60s/early 70s indie rock on CD. Dress warm, they have no heat (Just verified their stock two weeks ago - tons of stuff I've never seen anywhere else.). --Peter

Books Do Furnish a Room in Durham has a great selection of rare psych and late 60s/early 70s indie rock on CD. Dress warm, they have no heat (Just verified their stock two weeks ago - tons of stuff I've never seen anywhere else.). --Peter
    Where are they? I just noticed the reply, so sorry on my asking so late.

1809 W Markham Ave, Durham, NC 27705

They're in a gravel parking lot just behind Heavenly Wings. The building is a poster child for ramshackle.

Google maps has a lot of pictures of the inside - I swear I've never seen the place look so organized and neat!

--Peter

1809 W Markham Ave, Durham, NC 27705

They're in a gravel parking lot just behind Heavenly Wings. The building is a poster child for ramshackle.

Google maps has a lot of pictures of the inside - I swear I've never seen the place look so organized and neat!

--Peter
    Thanks!