Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Winter Olympics 2022 - Let the Corruption and Cronyism Begin!

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Even before the pandemic, most cities hosting recent Olympics have lost money. The IOC may soon have to start begging cities to host the Olympics, rather than "awarding" them to cities.
    As mentioned earlier, the answer is to just rotate the games among a few select sites. That way you get better use out of these multi-million-dollar facilities that are built for one event and then abandoned, left to rot away.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Live from Stamford, Connecticut, it’s the 2022 Beijing Olympics! NBC is going with most of their broadcast team working remotely (except for Alpine skiing and figure skating). It's not a surprise, a lot of the summer games were done this way as well.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/01...-mostly-remote
    Ugh. Awful.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Live from Stamford, Connecticut, it’s the 2022 Beijing Olympics! NBC is going with most of their broadcast team working remotely (except for Alpine skiing and figure skating). It's not a surprise, a lot of the summer games were done this way as well.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/01...-mostly-remote
    Huuuge cost savings. Not a big difference in coverage. They just have to have a 'local' shove the mics in exhausted competitors faces to talk to Stamford.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Olympic Sponsors Have “Entirely Ghosted” Activists Ahead of the Beijing Games

Unsurprising, in this day and age, where money is politics. This is only the latest show of the power of the corporation over the Olympic Games.

It should be about fair international competition and nothing else. It's what we pay (via ads and cable/streaming fees) to see. It's not what NBC shows us.
    Frog in boiling water

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    As mentioned earlier, the answer is to just rotate the games among a few select sites. That way you get better use out of these multi-billion-dollar facilities that are built for one event and then abandoned, left to rot away.
    Fixed it for ya.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

We tuned in last night for some of the early competition. She-Who-Had-The-Remote was getting the kinks out on her figure skating critique "Oh, that top looks like something I would have worn in the 70s". It will get much more biting as the games progress.

Opening ceremonies tonight - I'm kinda meh to China's attempts at spectacular. But I am eager for the actual competition.

Slate kicks off their coverage below but with a good rant aimed at the hosts and the IOC.

https://slate.com/culture/2022/02/be...s-uyghurs.html
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

"The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I just can't get excited for these Games.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

We tuned in last night for some of the early competition. She-Who-Had-The-Remote was getting the kinks out on her figure skating critique "Oh, that top looks like something I would have worn in the 70s". It will get much more biting as the games progress.

Opening ceremonies tonight - I'm kinda meh to China's attempts at spectacular. But I am eager for the actual competition.

Slate kicks off their coverage below but with a good rant aimed at the hosts and the IOC.

https://slate.com/culture/2022/02/be...s-uyghurs.html
    We watched a bit of the ceremonies and kind of had the same feeling. Watched some skating & skiing last night while messing around on the computer.

Serengeti Svengali Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Watched many a curling match, and some moguls qualifying. Looking forward to binging for the next two weeks...just hope most of it makes it to the TV and I can avoid streaming as much as possible.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

I used to be a huge fan of the Olympics (especially the winter olympics). However, because of the politics involved(ie the US boycotting it) I decided to opt out and not watch it this year. Maybe no one cares whether I watch it or not (but I do and I'll know if I watched it).
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

^^ Regretfully, it's always been about geopolitics. Jesse Owens, anyone?

Most of these are moral issues, though.

Watched some women's hockey live late last night. After watching the NHL this looked like some kind of bootleg broadcast. The visuals were kind of fuzzy and it had a very amateur look to it. NBC is doing many of their announcing remotely and it really stuck out on this broadcast. I can’t put my finger on what it was, but you could just tell that the announcer’s were not actually present. I have run into this sometimes-watching college sports on ESPN+ where they do remote announcing and sometimes subpar production.

I also watched some of the women’s snowboarding last night and that was well done.

Well, the opening ceremony was BORING, not to mention highly politicized (by China). It was IMO the worst opening ceremony ever. And I'm already sick of NBC's political commentary in between every event. If NBC were so anti-China, they should have stayed home. Instead, they spent billions of dollars for the broadcast rights, it the hopes of making billions more, or for the opportunity to incessantly lecture a captive audience on their political views. We get it, already. Human rights = good. Genocide = Bad. We don't need to be reminded of that several times a day. NBC's commentary isn't going to change China's behavior, and they're just annoying the rest of us. Either shut up and enjoy the sports, or go home.

Realistically, NBC bought the broadcast rights years ago. In 2011, NBC agreed to a $4.38 billion contract with the International Olympic Committee to broadcast the Olympics through the 2020 games, the most expensive television rights deal in Olympic history. NBC then agreed to a $7.75 billion contract extension on May 7, 2014, to air the Olympics through the 2032 games. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBC_Olympic_broadcasts
    Times have changed, but contracts remain.
    I do notice that the video quality does not seem to be as sharp as the past.
    The most annoying thing to me is that the volume of the in stadium announcers in Mandarin ( or which ever dialect ) is higher than the NBC folks and distracts from the commentary.
    I was just watching the speed skating last night, but it sounded more like NBC is just taking the live feed of the venue and talking over it.
    When the commentators were on site, it seemed like they had more ( or cared more ) about the sound mix. Isolated the commentary more, while mixing in venue noise.
    It may be just as annoying for a non english speaker to watch stadium commentary in their language with english background noise.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Watching live men's downhill right now. That course looks steep as hell. As a former skier (back when I still had knees) I can't imagine even attempting to go down a course like that, much less at 80+ mile per hour. It also looks like it all must be artificial snow as there is no snow on any of the mountain around the course.

Wow. Dutch speed skater Ireen Wüst. 5 Olympic games and a gold medal at everyone of them. I think this is a record. Olympic history.

Serengeti Svengali Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Pretty brutal looking injury for american skier Nina OBrien on the giant slalom course today.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

The IOC got rid of Speed Skiing because of the death rate.
    Some of these other forms of sport that involve as much risk taking as skill seem to be sort of the MMA of the Olympics.
    Cheer for the winner, hang around for the potential gore.
    -- Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Pretty brutal looking injury for american skier Nina OBrien on the giant slalom course today.
    I saw a replay of this, and I'm amazed at how she's handling this. A devastating injury, and she's smiling, upbeat, and concerned about her injury delaying the other athletes. I'm sure there's anguish when the cameras aren't on, but I'd be a blubbering mess after something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I'd be a blubbering mess after something like that.
    Maybe you should change your name to Scott Wails.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Maybe you should change your name to Scott Wails.
    If I'm ever in a serious skiing accident, I just might

I would prefer a title, like Prince Of Wails.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I can't remember his name but the Canadian who went through gruelling chemotherapy but remained positive and won the gold metal in freestyle skiing.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Winter Olympics 2022 - Let the Corruption and Cronyism Begin!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Progmatic View Post
    I watched some of the Olympic action. So far the high point was that Italian Curling champion. She was not only a very pretty girl but her shot making was just brilliant.
    The lowest point was a blatant corruption in the short track speed skating competition, virtually giving the Chinese medals.