Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Computer Question

Quote Originally Posted by roylayer View Post
    I can't answer the iPod Touch part of your question, but here is an option for use with your old iPod Classic: A bluetooth to headphone jack adapter. I recently got one that works great. It's inexpensive too. Let me know if you're interested, and I can tell you exactly what I bought. (There are a ton of these out there.)

Another benefit I get is being able to use my Bluetooth earbuds with my home TV that doesn't support Bluetooth natively.
    I would be very interested in that!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I would be very interested in that!
    TaoTronics Bluetooth 5.0 Transmitter and Receiver, Digital Optical TOSLINK Audio Adapter. You can find cheaper models, but I had specific requirements like these:

- One portable adapter to use as either transmitter or receiver
    - Support for both 3. 5mm (aux and RCA) and optical (to slink) digital

https://www.taotronics.com/products/...th-transmitter

I thought that I bought it via Amazon last year, but I can't find it in my orders. I'm sure that Google is your friend. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by roylayer View Post
    TaoTronics Bluetooth 5.0 Transmitter and Receiver, Digital Optical TOSLINK Audio Adapter. You can find cheaper models, but I had specific requirements like these:

- One portable adapter to use as either transmitter or receiver
    - Support for both 3. 5mm (aux and RCA) and optical (to slink) digital

https://www.taotronics.com/products/...th-transmitter

I thought that I bought it via Amazon last year, but I can't find it in my orders. I'm sure that Google is your friend. ;-)
    Thanks!

Thanks!
    I used this for bluetooth connections to my home stereo, and this one for my old car. Both were cheap and worked well. My new car has bluetooth, and my new sound bar does too, so I no longer use either one.

Whenever it happens to me, I check my task manager to see if any process is hogging the resources. Another option is running a malware scan using reliable antivirus software. But once I had to reinstall my Windows. There's some info on how you can get the windows key to upgrade or reinstall your Windows. Anyway, I hope all the advice we've shared here has helped you.
    Last edited by JemmyBrihm; 10-27-2023 at 01:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JemmyBrihm View Post
    Whenever it happens to me, I check my task manager to see if any process is hogging the resources. Another option is running a malware scan using reliable antivirus software. But once I had to reinstall my Windows. There's some info on how you can get the windows key to upgrade or reinstall your Windows. Anyway, I hope all the advice we've shared here has helped you.
    I am now back on PE. Not sure how though. I tried everything suggested here, but nothing worked. A few weeks ago our internet at home went out (we use Spectrum). I used my mobile hotspot on my phone for about 48 hours. When our internet eventually came back on I was once again able to access P.E. I have no clue why, but I am now back full-time.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I am now back on PE. Not sure how though. I tried everything suggested here, but nothing worked. A few weeks ago our internet at home went out (we use Spectrum). I used my mobile hotspot on my phone for about 48 hours. When our internet eventually came back on I was once again able to access P.E. I have no clue why, but I am now back full-time.
    Congrats! My access to PE was blocked for a week. I tried all kinds of tasks to get back on. Finally, I went to the Bell store and replaced my Modem. Works perfectly now.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by JemmyBrihm View Post
    It's no longer necessary to have a key to reinstall Windows 10. When it gets to the point it wants you to enter the key, click the "I don't have a key" link on the bottom right. It will automatically check the Microsoft database for the key associated with your specific hardware.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Sounds like voodoo.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Sounds like voodoo.
    In the Navy we said all electronic devices work on FM: "F***ing Magic."

Today I had problems with my external harddisk. Two directories couldn't be opened and several files couldn't be copied from my harddisk, to the external harddisk, probably because they somehow couldn't replace the copies on the external harddisk. Formatted the external harddisk and was able to copy my files. Perhaps my harddisk needs to be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Today I had problems with my external harddisk. Two directories couldn't be opened and several files couldn't be copied from my harddisk, to the external harddisk, probably because they somehow couldn't replace the copies on the external harddisk. Formatted the external harddisk and was able to copy my files. Perhaps my harddisk needs to be replaced.
    Files and directories can be corrupted by simply unplugging the drive without properly ejecting it.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Files and directories can be corrupted by simply unplugging the drive without properly ejecting it.
    Well, I mostly unplug the drive when the computer is closed down. If not, I eject it.

If you run windows you could look in the event viewer to see if there are error regarding the drive.
    If you leave it plugged in most of the time there should be breadcrumbs.
    For Mac, I'm not sure where the logs would be presented.
    Drives do wear out, cables too.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    If you run windows you could look in the event viewer to see if there are error regarding the drive.
    If you leave it plugged in most of the time there should be breadcrumbs.
    For Mac, I'm not sure where the logs would be presented.
    Drives do wear out, cables too.
    I leave the drive mostly unplugged. I only plug it in when making back-ups. It's a kind of extra security measure. I don't use internet while my back-up drive is connected. But at this moment things work fine. My oldest harddrive, which is from the same maker as the drive I currently use for back-ups, is still working. It's just to small, to contain all files.

At this moment I seem to have a problem with the time-settings of the computer. The clock works, but as soon as I switch of the computer, the clock stops.

^^ Likely your CMOS battery is about to die. The clock losing time is the first indication. In case you don't know: the CMOS stores settings like what drives are installed and how they perform, how the processor performs, how much memory is installed and how it performs, and the like. The battery is a coin battery which keeps that information from disappearing when powering off. Just like an alarm clock typically has a battery, so you don't have to reset the clock when the power goes out. Eventually all your settings will disappear, which may or may not lead to degradation in computer performance. Or at a minimum requiring much user intervention to boot up with you power on.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    ^^ Likely your CMOS battery is about to die. The clock losing time is the first indication. In case you don't know: the CMOS stores settings like what drives are installed and how they perform, how the processor performs, how much memory is installed and how it performs, and the like. The battery is a coin battery which keeps that information from disappearing when powering off. Just like an alarm clock typically has a battery, so you don't have to reset the clock when the power goes out. Eventually all your settings will disappear, which may or may not lead to degradation in computer performance. Or at a minimum requiring much user intervention to boot up with you power on.
    I thought something like that would be the case, though I never experienced something like this before.

It's usually a 3032 or 2032 coin battery that just clips into a holder on the computer motherboard. In some cases they are soldered in, which sucks.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    It's usually a 3032 or 2032 coin battery that just clips into a holder on the computer motherboard. In some cases they are soldered in, which sucks.
    I suppose I need to look into it and open the computer. Though I have to say it's first in all the years I have computers.

What kind/model is it?
    -- Aristotle

From the HP site and pictures it looks like a 2032. It looks like it might be pretty easy to get to. In a youtube video it looks like it is clearly visible when the side of the case is removed.
    -- Aristotle

I'll see. This evening, the problem didn't seem present.

Some weird thing, my Yamaha TX81Z is at least 34 years old and still doesn't suffer memory loss.

It does seem like a short lifespan on the battery. I have a couple of systems that are 12 years old+ that don't have clock issues.
    Usually when the battery dies, every time you turn the computer back on there is an error message that prompts you to enter the bios to set the date and time.
    Normally things will keep working without any other changes, unless you had a very customized bios setup which would revert to default when powered off.
    -- Aristotle