Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: My Recent DVD Haul - What's Yours?

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    The Marillion DVD was excellent. I played Friday and Saturday night from Disc 1. Comes from a Marillion Weekend in Chile. The audience loves the band who were very tight. Rothery's vocals were powerful. The Town sounded decent. Highly recommended. Some of the highlights were Sounds That Can't Be Made, Estonia, and Gaza.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 04-08-2023 at 07:32 AM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Rothery's vocals were powerful.
    How much of that hash did you smoke?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    How much of that hash did you smoke?
    - Too much!! Hogarth's vocals! Oh my god!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

After watching Donnie Darko again I played Gentle Giant's German TV 1974-show which appears on the CD/DVD-box Giant On The Box.
    This youtube was posted a few days ago in another thread.

The Silk Road Ensemble with Yo-Yo Ma live at Tanglewood 2012
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I had my regular Friday night!

Watched the Holiday in Eden DVD of a live show from the Deluxe Box. It was amazing to see how young the band were. Mark Kelly had hair, Steve Rothery was relatively thin, and Steve Hogarth was so young looking. I shouldn't be surprised, this was three decades ago. The band played really well. The audience was in the palms of the hands of the band - two encores.

I also watched a Big Big Train DVD from a three disc set I bought. It was enjoyable.

After starting to watch the Alien-series again, beginning with the first prequel Prometheus, I had a look at the main-part of Recital Of The Script - Live At The Hammersmith Odeon from the Blu-Ray that comes in the 2020-boxset Script For A Jester's Tear.
    In the early 80s I bought all new Marillion-releases. I was really impressed with the band. This stopped however with Fish' leaving Marillion. After that I once in a while bought a Marillion-CD, but it never caught me emotionally like Script and Fugazi. The last couple of years I hardly listened to the old albums, but now I heard the surround mix and seen the documentary Sackcloth And Greasepaint - The Story Of Script For A Jester's Tear I'm in the mood again. Yeah, they even look younger as on the Holiday In Eden DVD

Hum De Dum De Dum - What will I do tonight! More black hash (strictly once a week so it's social/moderate)

I have two DVD's up - not sure if I can watched both.

Yesspeak = Two DVD set with the classic line up. Thirty firth anniversary. - Includes Awaken, Heart Of Sunrise, South Side Of The Sky, And You and I, Yours Is No Disgrace, and many more. The 2nd disc looks like a documentary of the solo performers

Yes - Symphonic Live - Glad to report - Gates of Delirum, Close To The Edge. Without Rick Wakeman but still looks pretty bloody decent.

I look forward to hear if others have these DVDs and what you might be spinning!!

I don't have either of those dvds but that 35th Aniv.Tour show was shown on HDNet/Axstv at some point & I still have it saved it on one of my dvr hdds. I enjoyed it enough to watch twice so far. Granted so far means the past decade or longer

Nothing new on tap this evening but I expect next week at this time I'll be watching the Season's End doc from the Deluxe set.

Quote Originally Posted by reynard View Post
    I don't have either of those dvds but that 35th Aniv.Tour show was shown on HDNet/Axstv at some point & I still have it saved it on one of my dvr hdds. I enjoyed it enough to watch twice so far. Granted so far means the past decade or longer

Nothing new on tap this evening but I expect next week at this time I'll be watching the Season's End doc from the Deluxe set.
    I thought the 35th Anniversary show was excellent! I saw the show with my son in Montreal. The DVD was quite enjoyable. I can't remember the name of the keyboardist that filled in for Rick but he was on fire. It was great to see/hear Gates Of Delirium. That was a highlight. You did notice that band were much younger.

For the Yesspeak DVD, I should have know it was a documentary. The band played live but it was always overtaken from the interviews with each band members.

I'm with you on the new deluxe package of Seasons End. Besides the documentary, it looks like have a live bootleg show from Montreal.

I'm not sure if Tom Brislin only played keyboards with Yes on that Symphonic tour. But he was excellent.

The downside of that Symphonic DVD...I really dislike 'Don't Go'. Some of the other then-new songs are pretty good though.

I'd also recommend Yes' Live In Montreux 2003 DVD. It has the novelty of Wakeman playing on a few songs from Magnification, but it is an excellent performance generally. There's a particularly strong 'Awaken'.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I'm not sure if Tom Brislin only played keyboards with Yes on that Symphonic tour. But he was excellent.

The downside of that Symphonic DVD...I really dislike 'Don't Go'. Some of the other then-new songs are pretty good though.

I'd also recommend Yes' Live In Montreux 2003 DVD. It has the novelty of Wakeman playing on a few songs from Magnification, but it is an excellent performance generally. There's a particularly strong 'Awaken'.
    Tom Brislin, I forgot. He was definitely on the 35 anniversary show I watched last Friday night. I remember watching him live at this show in Montreal too. I'll take your recommendation and watch Live in Montreux next week (if I can find it!).

Friday-evening I watched Rush: Grace Under Pressure DVD (one of the three DVD's in Replay x 3. I love this period of the band, in which they incorporated synthrock and Police-like reggae-rhythms.

The Replay set had a CD of that video in it, if I remember rightly. Presumably as that tour didn't already have a live album of its own.

The Replay set had a CD of that video in it, if I remember rightly. Presumably as that tour didn't already have a live album of its own.
    You've remembered correctly!

Found my Bluray copy!! For this Friday.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 04-24-2023 at 05:19 PM.

^Hope you like it.

That early-mid 2000s period was good- varied set-lists and they were still playing well.

I like the acoustic set on that Songs From The Tsongas DVD. It was also a novel way of playing some of the 'warhorses'...especially 'Roundabout'.

Friday Night!

Just back home after seeing the Musical Box doing the Lamb. I'm torn between my DVD choices tonight. As mentioned, I found the Yes Live At Montreux 2003. On the other hand I just bought the huge 3 CD 1 DVD box of Transatlantic's The Final Flight - Live At The Olympia.

I'm going to take earlier advice on this thread and go with Yes 2003. I really want to see Awaken and others.

The Yes - Live in Montreux show was excellent. A band still on fire with the classic line up. Awaken did stand out but Siberian Khatru, South Side Of The Sky, To Be Over, and Heart of Sunrise were all done with a sense of urgency and a decent tempo. I'm glad I pulled this out.

After finishing the Alien-series (6 movies) I watched Live At The Theatre Royal, Drury Lane - 04/12/81, the Orchestral Manœuvres In The Dark-concert which is included on DVD in the Collector's Ediion of Architecture & Morality. Still an amazing thing to see a real Mellotron on that stage (although it's been hardly used during the show).

Here's Joan Of Arc:

Well, Friday, Friday! Everyone here knows my routine.

Two DVD up for play. I had to admit I get pretty wozzy and usually nod off after the first DVD (lol).

Up tonight - Second Home - Mystery: Live at ProgDream V. I must say this just arrived today and it's the first time I've received a DVD case in a modern digi-pack format. It's got a soft cover and back - when you open it there is a plastic casing. I've been listening to Live in Pozan(s) this week and am ready for their brand of progressive rock.

The second DVD is Transatlantic from their newish 4 disc box set. I'm sure it's a farewell concert, I think in Paris.

I'm hoping to stay up for both. I have to say this moment in time is my absolute favourite time of the week! Let the party begin!!

Oh yeah, I'd really like to hear from my PE friends if you have a DVD to watch or any comments on my post (e.g., if you've seen either)

^ I'm more jealous of the black hash than the Transatlantic DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ I'm more jealous of the black hash than the Transatlantic DVD.
    I wish we lived close to one another as I'd share it with you!

I really enjoyed the Mystery DVD. They are a very professional outfit. The Transaltantic is at another level of artistry/importance. I managed to make my way through both DVD's. Amazing! I liked the Transatlaltic the most but both were excellent.

^^ Glad you're digging the Mystery.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***