Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: My Recent DVD Haul - What's Yours?

I watched "Ippu-Do: Magic Vox DVD", a collection of old video-clips and some live-in-the-studio songs from the Japanese band Ippu-Do, that is part of the Magic Vox-box-set. I remember when I first watched this DVD I was a bit disappointed that almost all clips feature bandleader Masami Tsuchiya only, while the live-tracks are from 1980, so no Percy Jones, Steve Jansen and Richard Barbieri. Watching it again is fun though.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Hello friends - Isn't Friday the best day! I'm looking forward to watching a DVD tonight in a deep state of relaxation. If you know what I mean.

Here are my latest orders:

Pink Floyd - Pulse - Restored & Re-Edited Deluxe Edition 2 Blue Ray
    Pendragon - Masquerade 20

In my sweaty palms and ready to play tonight:

Marillion - XXI - The Best Of The Weekends

I'll talk about this Marillion DVD a bit more tonight.

Did anyone else pick up a new DVD or any comments on my haul?
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Just added 2 more from Amazon!

David Bowie: A Reality Tour DVD
    Rush: Exit Stage Left DVD
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Hello! I tried taking pictures of the inserts with DVD and song names but it didn't load. The DVD covers over 20 years of Marillion weekends, some out of print DVD's, like Before First Light and Minehead and Strange Engine. I'm looking forward to Easter, The Great Escape, Made Again, The Space and many others. I have some duplicate from other DVDs I already own but there is unique stuff and out of print items that will likely make this worthwhile.
    I'll report back tomorrow what I think of this DVD release.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Hello! I tried taking pictures of the inserts with DVD and song names but it didn't load. The DVD covers over 20 years of Marillion weekends, some out of print DVD's, like Before First Light and Minehead and Strange Engine. I'm looking forward to Easter, The Great Escape, Made Again, The Space and many others. I have some duplicate from other DVDs I already own but there is unique stuff and out of print items that will likely make this worthwhile.
    I'll report back tomorrow what I think of this DVD release.
    I own ALL the Marillion Weekend DVDs/Blu-Rays and I still ordered this! That's because Marilion and Racket are usually pretty good at putting together a good compilation, and I though I'd enjoy watching this one. I don't have it yet - it's probably on its way from Racket now.

Right now I'm watching Big Big Train's "Summer Shall Not Fade" Blu-Ray for the first time.

Happy Friday - enjoy the weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I own ALL the Marillion Weekend DVDs/Blu-Rays and I still ordered this! That's because Marilion and Racket are usually pretty good at putting together a good compilation, and I though I'd enjoy watching this one. I don't have it yet - it's probably on its way from Racket now.

Right now I'm watching Big Big Train's "Summer Shall Not Fade" Blu-Ray for the first time.

Happy Friday - enjoy the weekend!
    I really enjoyed "Summer Shall Not Fade" - I'm a big fan of the band. Even if you own all the Marillion weekend DVD's, this is worth the purchase. It's in high def so the picture and sound are simply excellent. The video move seamlessly from show to show over a 20 year period. The DVD leaves you with the feeling that across the world there are loyal and dedicated fans of the band. There are many audience shots and you can see the band feeds off the energy of the crowds.

I also ordered the 20th anniversary DVD by Pendragron from Burning Shed this week. Is that a thumbs up from you?

Enjoy the weekend too - we have summer like weather in Ottawa this weekend.

Not a DVD, but a Blu-ray: The deluxe Seasons End from Marillion. Nice interviews/documentary once again, I like the format of just them talking, with no narration or unnecessary people taking up time. Nice also to have the Stoke Row to Ipanema DVD included on the disc (they do like to pack these things full! I remember when the Script set came out and they hadn't even advertised the fact that it included the Recital of the Script DVD!)

Delving into the audio extras today, including the Montreal '90 show. Should be good!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Not a DVD, but a Blu-ray: The deluxe Seasons End from Marillion. Nice interviews/documentary once again, I like the format of just them talking, with no narration or unnecessary people taking up time. Nice also to have the Stoke Row to Ipanema DVD included on the disc (they do like to pack these things full! I remember when the Script set came out and they hadn't even advertised the fact that it included the Recital of the Script DVD!)

Delving into the audio extras today, including the Montreal '90 show. Should be good!
    My copy is arriving this week. Is the 90s show on video or audio?

My copy is arriving this week. Is the 90s show on video or audio?
    Audio. Pretty good sound though.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I watched Switzerland 1974, the live-performance of Soft Machine at the Montreux Jazz Festival 1974, which was finally released as a CD/DVD by Cuneiform Records in 2015.
    Six years before that I received a copy of the show Leonardo wanted to release on his MoonJune Records, but that didn't happen.
    One of the emotional moments is when in the minimal-music inspired The Floating World Holdsworth is humming the high melody and when we see Ratledge's keyboard-playing mirrored in his sunglasses.

I really enjoyed "Summer Shall Not Fade" - I'm a big fan of the band. Even if you own all the Marillion weekend DVD's, this is worth the purchase. It's in high def so the picture and sound are simply excellent. The video move seamlessly from show to show over a 20 year period. The DVD leaves you with the feeling that across the world there are loyal and dedicated fans of the band. There are many audience shots and you can see the band feeds off the energy of the crowds.

I also ordered the 20th anniversary DVD by Pendragron from Burning Shed this week. Is that a thumbs up from you?

Enjoy the weekend too - we have summer like weather in Ottawa this weekend.
    My favorite part of Summer Shall Not Fade is where Rikard and the other main keyboard guy do that call & response thing with the awesome vintage keyboard sounds. Great playing!

My favorite part of Summer Shall Not Fade is where Rikard and the other main keyboard guy do that call & response thing with the awesome vintage keyboard sounds. Great playing!

Cool! I'm listening to Summer Shall Not Fade right now. My favourite track from Big Big Train is Victorian Brickwall.

LOL - Victorian BrickWORK! Unless it's brickwalled... That's a very good song.

The keyboard part I was referring to is in "A Mead Hall in Winter," which is a great song.

LOL - Victorian BrickWORK! Unless it's brickwalled... That's a very good song.

The keyboard part I was referring to is in "A Mead Hall in Winter," which is a great song.
    Brickwall, Oh God!
    I'll check out "A Mead Hall In Winter"!

I won't have a Friday night DVD to post this week as we're off the Quebec City to see Terra Incognita. I've had the tickets for three years due to Covid so I'm totally pumped. Two nights of one of my top ten bands, Anekdoten! La Maschera di Cera is another favourite.

Here is the schedule:

Friday may 19

20h00 Nathanael Larochette (15 minutes acoustic show)

20h20 Polychuck (Montréal) (45 minutes)

https://youtu.be/oR6938Sxr4A

21h30 Anekdoten (Suède)

Saturday may 20

16h30 Nathanael Larochette (30 minutes)

17h15 The Lost Vision of The Chandoo Priest (Italia) (30 minutes) (with Francesca of Unreal City and Niccolò of Cellar Noise)

https://youtu.be/wC2rzhSfUa4

19h30 Moon Letters (Seattle USA)

https://youtu.be/-z757sJjkSs

21h30 Anekdoten

Sunday may 21

16h15 : Nathanael Larochette

16h30: Karcius (Montréal)

https://youtu.be/EyhK83V5qQs

19h30 Quel Che Disse Il Tuono (Italia)

https://youtu.be/RDPkP2xemrs

21h30 La Maschera di Cera (Italia)

https://youtu.be/NltKu66jk5k
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 05-16-2023 at 10:25 AM.

^ And Moon Letters - cool!

^ And Moon Letters - cool!
    Back from Quebec. Moon Letters was quite decent. I bought their debut CD (I think), Fate of the Alacorn. Oh yeah, I met the band. They were really friendly.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 05-22-2023 at 09:31 PM.

I just found a VHS tape of lost Woodstock performances. Which don't even appear on the bonus discs of the Blu-Ray version of the film. Like The Weight by the Band, More and More by Blood, Sweat and Tears, and Richie Havens' version of Strawberry Fields Forever.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Back from Quebec. Moon Letters was quite decent. I bought their debut CD (I think), Fate of the Alacorn. Oh yeah, I met the band. They were really friendly.
    Did they have costumes and swords and stuff (someone mentioned that in a thread on the band a while back)? How'd that stuff go over with the audience?

Did they have costumes and swords and stuff (someone mentioned that in a thread on the band a while back)? How'd that stuff go over with the audience?
    I think the band was well received. The lead singer was in a silver jump suit and he added a piece of closing that surrounded his body as wings. No swords! The lead singer and some of his band hung around for the full festival at a table - so I bought the CD but haven't listened to it yet. The two Italian bands and Anekdoten were the highlights for me (and the French restaurants in the city).

It's Friday Night Again!!

I just received Pink Floyd's Restored and Re-edited Box set. I'm going to watch disc 1 tonight - all of Dark Side with some Wish You Were Here included. The second disc includes music videos, concert and screen films, documentaries, & additional material, both on Blue Ray. The physical look of the Box set is beautiful. I still have two or three DVD's on my music stand that I'll get to eventually. I saw this tour live in Montreal with great floor seats. All of the way back in 1994 - this one filmed in Earl's Court in London, UK.

Is anyone else watching a DVD tonight?

Last night was like Friday night for me because my son had no school today. So last night I watched Out of Season, the Blu-Ray of Marillion's 2009 Port Zelande weekend. A lot of Happiness Is the Road, which I enjoyed!

Hope you're enjoying Floyding out tonight!

I watched a movie-DVD with a lot of music: The Untitled Cut a.k.a. the long version of Almost Famous. Enjoy it everytime I see it!

Then I looked a short bit of Shadowfax Live At Severinsen's, a DVD provided by Chuch Greenberg's widow Joy. It was originally recorded on VHS in 1984 and digitally transfered by Joy in 2020 for a DVDr-release. Quality is not that good, while the booklet is very cheap, but the music is fine. But beware: Joy uses some strange storage-techniek which not always works on players. Joy's Picks For Shadowfax's Greatest Hits doesn't work on my OPPO.
    These and more titles can be bought from https://www.discogs.com/artist/590225-Shadowfax

Last night was like Friday night for me because my son had no school today. So last night I watched Out of Season, the Blu-Ray of Marillion's 2009 Port Zelande weekend. A lot of Happiness Is the Road, which I enjoyed!

Hope you're enjoying Floyding out tonight!
    I have that DVD! Happiness is the Road is great but I haven't listened to it in a while. I remember liking one disc (Essence) more than the other. The Floyd show was stellar.

“Essence” is the disk more people have trouble with, so you should try the second disk (“The Hard Shoulder”) again. I think almost all the songs on it are great.