Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: My Recent DVD Haul - What's Yours?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    “Essence” is the disk more people have trouble with, so you should try the second disk (“The Hard Shoulder”) again. I think almost all the songs on it are great.
    You sure about that? I don't hang out on Marillion forums, but that's not how I remember it, regarding discussion at the time of release.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I'm not sure I'm getting Essence and the Hard Shoulder mixed up. Haven't played the studio discs in some time. I do have the live show, Happiness is Cologne, and have played it more recently.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    You sure about that? I don't hang out on Marillion forums, but that's not how I remember it, regarding discussion at the time of release.
    Maybe it was about 50/50. But a lot of people had a problem with Essence (the first disk). I didn’t really understand a lot of people’s issues with certain tracks on The Hard Shoulder either. Like Thunder Fly. A great song, IMO.

Maybe it was about 50/50. But a lot of people had a problem with Essence (the first disk). I didn’t really understand a lot of people’s issues with certain tracks on The Hard Shoulder either. Like Thunder Fly. A great song, IMO.
    There are plenty of songs on both discs that I quite like. I too have been puzzled at some of the reaction to that album, including from the band themselves who don't seem to view it as particularly strong material (disc 2, anyway). I believe it was Lucy, their manager, who had to press them to include Real Tears for Sale, a song I love. I guess there's never any rhyme or reason to these things.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I haven't played either in years. I remember liking Essence , but The Hard Shoulder was patchier. Only really 'Asylum Satellite #1' and 'Real Tears For Sale' were keepers for me. I saw them do the latter live the year before the album came out, in late 2007.

I didn’t really understand a lot of people’s issues with certain tracks on The Hard Shoulder either. Like Thunder Fly. A great song, IMO.
    Things like that and (particularly) '...Planet Marzipan' just felt like studio jams more than proper songs to me. 'Older Than Me' and 'Especially True' are two I never liked.

I like Somewhere Else and many don't- I do play that one from time to time. I recall Happiness Is The Road being initially viewed as a 'return to form' by comparison. But I do vaguely remember reading online that some of the new material was not being well received on the 2008 tour. A feeling that, on the early dates at least, several songs really weren't working live. That seemed to be where HITR's reputation changed, maybe?

TBH I lost some interest in the decade which followed so I'm not as familiar with what they've done since.

Of the DVDs I enjoyed the Somewhere In London DVD. A lot of my favourite Hogarth-era Marillion tracks are on that.
    Last edited by JJ88; 05-28-2023 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Of the DVDs I enjoyed the Somewhere In London DVD. A lot of my favourite Hogarth-era Marillion tracks are on that.
    I think it's their best live release ever. Amazing show.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Yeah I actually bought that DVD at the gig. The then-new stuff was pretty good on it.

Of the Fish era I like the Live At Loreley one as it has a lot of Clutching At Straws on it, and the first half of Misplaced Childhood. Although I found out that this DVD (and the earlier VHS) doesn't have the full concert.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post

Of the Fish era I like the Live At Loreley one as it has a lot of Clutching At Straws on it, and the first half of Misplaced Childhood. Although I found out that this DVD (and the earlier VHS) doesn't have the full concert.
    My issue with that DVD (and that whole tour) is the backing singer. I'm sorry, but a girl up on a riser swaying and snapping and stepping to the music simply does not look right with Marillion. Nor did she sound right IMO. It's one thing to add a few vocal lines for effect on the album, but the whole show?

I would agree that it's a mismatch.

I'm not sure what's available other than that and the very early Recital Of The Script.

I've got four new DVD's
    The Seasons End Deluxe Box Set
    Pendragon -Masquerade 20
    Rush - Exit Stage Left
    Bowie - A Reality Tour

Not sure which one I'll pick but I'll have my trusted pipe and some nice black Hash. Any suggestions? What's in your haul? Oh, yeah...and
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Well, I decided to go with Rush's Exit Stage Left. If I don't fall asleep, next one is Pendragon - Masquerade 20. I saw Rush tour of Moving Pictures in Ottawa, just as they were breaking through.
    Time to light up!

Rush's Exit Stage Left was excellent, The 80s production was evident. You're struck by the audience who are so committed to the band. There is plenty of footage showing the band playing to a live audience. Lot's of highlights on solo performances. Neil was a monster behind this kit. Alex was fully engaged with his guitar magic. Geddy was strong - his vocal performance moving away from this 70s screeching to convey a more smooth vocal delivery. I distinctly remember seeing the Moving Pictures show in Ottawa and the performances definitely sounded more polished and commercial. It was much more well attended to the sparse audience I saw with 2112.

I started to watch the Pendragon DVD but need to revisit it. I only have one of their albums (the one featured) but is didn't strike me the same way the Rush DVD did.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 06-03-2023 at 11:12 AM.

I went for "a trip to the dub side" with the DVD Dub Side Of The Moon Live by Easy Star All Stars. Great way to go sleep after that:

I got on the bus (sort of) last night with my first viewing of the IQ -Scrape Across The Sky Blu-Ray and a working (again) vape pen after some instruction from a friend. Very enjoyable. I had intended to follow with a Hawkwind DVD, but got a late start, and was ready for bed by the time the IQ vid finished up. Maybe next week.

I got on the bus (sort of) last night with my first viewing of the IQ -Scrape Across The Sky Blu-Ray and a working (again) vape pen after some instruction from a friend. Very enjoyable. I had intended to follow with a Hawkwind DVD, but got a late start, and was ready for bed by the time the IQ vid finished up. Maybe next week.

Glad you got the vape pen to work! Is that Blu-Ray from the newish IQ box set? I also feel asleep on my second DVD viewing last Friday!!

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Glad you got the vape pen to work! Is that Blu-Ray from the newish IQ box set? I also feel asleep on my second DVD viewing last Friday!!
    Mine is a stand alone. The video was from their Christmas gig in De Boerderij in the Netherlands in December of 2014, so probably not a part of a recent set. They were touring The Road Of Bones.

It's fun to note little details, like Peter, despite wearing a business suit, (odd choice for a Rock artist, imo) he still had a red bangle and a black bangle on one wrist, like it was 1984.

Friday, Friday, Friday!! My favourite time of the week. You know the ritual, some nice black hash and a DVD. This week, I'm going to David Bowie's Reality Tour. Here's a description off Amazon:
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________________
    Filmed last November 22 and 23 in front of emotionally charged audiences at the Point Depot in Dublin, Ireland, the DVD marks the influential rock legend’s first concert film in over 15 years. 30 songs spanning BOWIE’s illustrious career--including "Five Years" and "Hang On To Yourself," which BOWIE hasn’t played live in over 20 years--are featured in a riveting state-of-the-art sound and light stage production that was conceived by BOWIE and utilizes enormous LED screens and animation. The program runs 140 minutes, and a ten-page booklet filled with amazing live photos from the event is included in the package.

Feeding off the overwhelming response from the Dublin audience, BOWIE said on the first night: "If we're going to film a DVD anywhere, this is the place to do it. I know it, you know it and they (the film crew) know it!" "DAVID BOWIE - A REALITY TOUR" is produced by Blink TV, edited by Emmy Award winner Guy Harding and the Creative Director is Marcus Viner. The DVD’s 5.1 surround sound mix was engineered by Tony Visconti, BOWIE's long-time producer of such classic albums as THE MAN WHO SOLD THE WORLD, YOUNG AMERICANS and HEROES; Visconti also co-produced with BOWIE his most recent critically revered albums HEATHEN (2002) and REALITY (2003).

The hugely successful and critically acclaimed "A Reality Tour" began October 2003 in Europe, visiting countries all over the world while attracting over 700,000 fans and earning the tour #1 top-grossing honors for the first half of 2004, according to Billboard Boxscore. It was also hailed as "Best Tour: #2 (after Radiohead)" in the "Critics’ Picks" section in the ROLLING STONE "Music Awards 2003" poll (2/5/04).

I'm actually not that familiar with this stage in Bowie's career. I've seen him in Ottawa in 1978 and in Montreal several years back. Anyone else seen this one? Watching anything else? Look forward to hearing from you!!

I was going to join you again, Greg, but it's getting bumped by the NBA Finals Game 4. That'll probably go too late to put on a DVD after. We'll see.

In other news, my mini-vacation to Michigan resulted in a visit to a dispensary, where purchased goodies included vape cartridges, hash infused pre-rolls, and some flower.

I was going to join you again, Greg, but it's getting bumped by the NBA Finals Game 4. That'll probably go too late to put on a DVD after. We'll see.

In other news, my mini-vacation to Michigan resulted in a visit to a dispensary, where purchased goodies included vape cartridges, hash infused pre-rolls, and some flower.
    Wow! That is so cool Mark. I really wished we lived nearby so we could have fun and consume together. I never could afford hash like I can now. I have a bunch of hash scattered around my house, It lasts forever because I strictly smoke only once a week (with my wife's support). I actually came across some very nice blond hash - about 10 grams, that I'll supplement tonight instead of the black. I hope you enjoy the NBA game.

I just cued up the Bowie DVD - I think it's going to be awesome!!
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 06-12-2023 at 03:34 PM.

Thanks, Greg.

OK, jumping in with Hawkwind -Winter Solstice 2005. We'll see how far I make it.

OK, jumping in with Hawkwind -Winter Solstice 2005. We'll see how far I make it.
    How was it ?

The David Bowie DVD was quite decent. I have to admit, I only recognized 10 percent of the set as it was coming from the Reality album that I'm not familiar with. It funny to watch an artist you have listened so carefully for over the years but missed a big hole.

I watched (most of) the documentary Romantic Warriors - A Progressive Music Saga from Adele Schmidt and José Zegarra Holder. This was their first one. It features short scenes from Nearfest and Progday, featuring the bands/artists Cabezas De Cera - Avant/Fusion (Mexico), Cheer-Accident - Avant/ Experimental (USA), Deluge Grander - Symphonic (USA), D.F.A. - Jazz/Fusionl (Italy), Karmakanic - Symphonic (Sweden), La Maschera Di Cera - Symphonic (Italy), Oblivion Sun - Symphonic (USA),Phideaux - Symphonic (USA), Qui - Jazz Canterbury (Japan) and Rob Martino - Chapman Stick Player (USA). It does create a romantic feeling, especially when you've visited those progressive festivals in the past, like I did in 2000 (Nearfest). But seeing Oblivion Sun makes me wish there would be a full concert-DVD from Happy The Man or OS.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    How was it
    Terrible. One camera, shot from halfway back on the floor. No closeups. Musically, it's fine, but I can't believe Hawkwind/Voiceprint put out something like this. I'd expect more from a bootleg.

I made it to the end. It was a late night.

Terrible. One camera, shot from halfway back on the floor. No closeups. Musically, it's fine, but I can't believe Hawkwind/Voiceprint put out something like this. I'd expect more from a bootleg.
    I can, alas. Both have track records.

The Reality Tour
    ended up being Bowie's last ever. It came to an early end because he had a heart attack- I think it might have even been on stage. The DVD has a pretty wide-ranging set-list and was filmed fairly early on in the tour's run, I think.

Reality as an album is OK- but its predecessor Heathen was far superior, IMHO.