Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: My Recent DVD Haul - What's Yours?

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I can, alas. Both have track records.

The Reality Tour
    ended up being Bowie's last ever. It came to an early end because he had a heart attack- I think it might have even been on stage. The DVD has a pretty wide-ranging set-list and was filmed fairly early on in the tour's run, I think.

Reality as an album is OK- but its predecessor Heathen was far superior, IMHO.
    I didn't know that was Bowie's last concert. He left us way too soon. I own Heathen (but not Reality) but have only played it a few times. My experiences seeing Bowie live were uniformly positive. I can remember that year - but close to the Reality tour - but I saw him in Montreal and he played all his hits.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

It's Friday night again!!! Time to kick back and relax.

My son's wedding is tomorrow!

Tonight, I'll watch the Season's End Deluxe Box's DVD. Anyone watched it yet?

Also, I didn't see Interbellum here last week. What have you been watching?
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I'm in. Gonna play UK -Curtain Call Blu-Ray. The Japanese issue from 2015, not the recent reissue. Will wash it down with some craft beer and Jack Herer vape.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    It's Friday night again!!! Time to kick back and relax.

My son's wedding is tomorrow!

Tonight, I'll watch the Season's End Deluxe Box's DVD. Anyone watched it yet?

My daughter's wedding tomorrow.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

^ Have you guys met?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Hope both weddings are a wonderful time, you guys!

Not watching a DVD now, but listening to the AVKRVST album "The Approbation." Good Norwegian stuff.

Followed up the UK Blu-Ray with a Future Kings Of England DVD. It was a shorty. Video EP? Enjoyable, but since it appears to be in a studio basement, much footage is generic, unfortunately.

Look better; I was there (on the Dark Side...)

Yesterday I watched most of the Slipstream-DVD in the version of A La Mode, The 40th Anniversary Edition of Jethro Tull's A. Love the live-shows and although the 5.1 mix of the video-clips in between are fine I would have prefered a complete live-set.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I'm in. Gonna play UK -Curtain Call Blu-Ray. The Japanese issue from 2015, not the recent reissue. Will wash it down with some craft beer and Jack Herer vape.
    Watched that earlier this week, from the recent remaster however. Good images, bad sound, great music, a bit stiff performance (although the four seemed to have more fun during the Danger Money-stuff).

^ Maybe it's me, but I didn't notice bad sound at all. The only minor quibble I have is the tendency to reduce the resolution (fuzz it up) as an artifice, before sharpening everything up again.
    The performance was astounding, virtuosos all around. Danger Money was improved by the guitar, and I thought they were enjoying themselves.

I'd say I have a new favorite concert video.

^ Maybe it's me, but I didn't notice bad sound at all. The only minor quibble I have is the tendency to reduce the resolution (fuzz it up) as an artifice, before sharpening everything up again.
    The performance was astounding, virtuosos all around. Danger Money was improved by the guitar, and I thought they were enjoying themselves.

I'd say I have a new favorite concert video.
    I guess there are two camps on this one (or should I say Eddie Jobson's mixing work): some hate it, some are satisfied with it. You've probably read this thread too: https://www.progressiveears.org/foru...-Concert-Video

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    My daughter's wedding tomorrow.
    Congrats!

[QUOTE=JKL2000;1194395]Hope both weddings are a wonderful time, you guys!

Not watching a DVD now, but listening to the AVKRVST album "The Approbation." Good Norwegian stuff.[/QUOTE

Thanks Jed! How was the AVKRVT cd?

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Look better; I was there (on the Dark Side...)

Yesterday I watched most of the Slipstream-DVD in the version of A La Mode, The 40th Anniversary Edition of Jethro Tull's A. Love the live-shows and although the 5.1 mix of the video-clips in between are fine I would have prefered a complete live-set.
    I need some glasses! I watched the Slipstream a few years ago. I remember liking it but it did seem dated.

The Season's End DVD only had a few videos not a concert like I thought so I moved to Marilion.ci. It was excellent. Marillion is definitely one of my favourite bands.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 06-23-2023 at 11:55 PM.

I watched the Slipstream a few years ago. I remember liking it but it did seem dated.
    Yes, I think it's dated because of the videoclips and the storyline about the tramp in between the live-performance. The latter is great though, so it's good this edition of A has a full live-show from that period in audio (both stereo and surround).

Just back from from a vacation near the 1,000 Islands. Does this thread remind of Groundhog Day? Or maybe just my Friday night routine.

I'm watching Pendragon's Masquerade 20. I was a bit bored with it when I played some of it a few weeks ago but am going to give it a second try. Seventeen songs, starting with Masquerade Overture.

Anyone watched it? Do you have a DVD viewing planned?
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 06-23-2023 at 11:54 PM.

Yeah I own that one and agree in as much as you need to be in the right mood to enjoy it otherwise nodding off is certainly a risk.

You had mentioned the Season's End deluxe but a next post I realized you weren't on about the documentary. Well those are generally the things I most look forward to with all the Marillion Deluxe sets. That said I do much prefer the earlier ones with everyone together in the same room and honestly, when I got the HiE deluxe... I never got around to watching the doc. When I got the SE deluxe I decided to watch the that doc immediately followed by the HiE one which made for a great double feature. Chronologically correct with regards to the music but not the recording of the films of course, so kind of fun to see if any of the recollections changed at all.

Quote Originally Posted by reynard View Post
    Yeah I own that one and agree in as much as you need to be in the right mood to enjoy it otherwise nodding off is certainly a risk.

You had mentioned the Season's End deluxe but a next post I realized you weren't on about the documentary. Well those are generally the things I most look forward to with all the Marillion Deluxe sets. That said I do much prefer the earlier ones with everyone together in the same room and honestly, when I got the HiE deluxe... I never got around to watching the doc. When I got the SE deluxe I decided to watch the that doc immediately followed by the HiE one which made for a great double feature. Chronologically correct with regards to the music but not the recording of the films of course, so kind of fun to see if any of the recollections changed at all.
    I was not that into the Pendragon DVD. The two female vocalists were distracting and I didn't like the lead singer's vocals. I owned a Pendragron CD (Masquerade) 30 years ago so maybe the fact I'm not that familiar with their music and this may have had an impact on how I view things. They did sound like competent musicians.

I haven't watched the Season's End documentary yet but will.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 06-24-2023 at 06:55 PM.

Yesterday I watched Joe Bonamassa Live From The Royal Albert Hall (disk 1 of 2). It's the only thing I have from this guitarist/singer. A great setting, two drummers, a fine keyboardplayer and of course Bonamassa's guitar-playing. It reminds me somewhat of the early work of Eric Johnson and Snowy White. It surprises me that those two have had far less wide recognition than Bonamassa, while I think their output is adventurous (less blues-orientated). Still, an impressive show (too bad my disk skipped the moment Eric Clapton appeared...)
    https://www.facebook.com/JoeBonamass...9517326423865/

^^Thanks for posting the concert. Wonderful guitar playing by Joe.

Received this in the mail yesterday, which is now in the player ready to go for tomorrow night.

A late start, (again,) but going to lead off with Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel Live From The Camden Palace, recorded in 1984. Sativa cartridge loaded, craft beers to hand.

Hey Mark! Just back from Prog Night - 5 guys in our 60s taking turns playing our favourite tunes. Just back before midnight -

Up Tonight. Led Zeppelin Two DVD Set - second disc from 1972,1973. 1975, and 1979. At Madison Square Gardens and Earl's Court and Knebworth.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 07-01-2023 at 12:03 AM.

I'll give comments tomorrow, but after Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel, I put in Steve Hackett -The Bremen Broadcast, (1978) which was also roughly an hour, being from European TV.

Cool.

I'll give comments tomorrow, but after Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel, I put in Steve Hackett -The Bremen Broadcast, (1978) which was also roughly an hour, being from European TV.
    I love that Steve Hackett-dvd, although I have an older version called Spectral Mornings. I remember seeing this show "live" on TV when it was aired the first time by the German TV.

I watched Eric Johnson's Live From Austin TX '84, released in 2010. Johnson's carreer is really interesting: first he was in Mariani in 1970 at the age of 15! Then he was in Electromagnets in the middle of the 70's. After that his name rising, especially because of the live-concerts he did. This DVD shows him at the age of 29, but remember: his solodebut Tones was not released yet! That one, from which he played a couple of tunes, came out in 1986. Two years later another Austin City Limits-show was filmed and also released on DVD (must have written about that in this thread somewhere). In 1984 Johnson looked so young (and a bit like Kevin Gilbert those days), but what a talent!

Here's Cliffs Of Dover, one of the tracks that would appear on Tones:

And here he's playing a cover of Jimi Hendrix' Spanish Castle Magic:

[QUOTE=interbellum;1196660]
    I watched Eric Johnson's Live From Austin TX '84, released in 2010. Johnson's carreer is really interesting: first he was in Mariani in 1970 at the age of 15! Then he was in Electromagnets in the middle of the 70's. After that his name rising, especially because of the live-concerts he did. This DVD shows him at the age of 29, but remember: his solodebut Tones was not released yet! That one, from which he played a couple of tunes, came out in 1986. Two years later another Austin City Limits-show was filmed and also released on DVD (must have written about that in this thread somewhere). In 1984 Johnson looked so young (and a bit like Kevin Gilbert those days), but what a talent!

Eric Johnson is an amazing talent! The lead guitar and bass both look like kids.

The Led Zeppelin 2 DVD set (of which I played the second disc) was excellent. Tracking this history over 6 years with 3 separate shows. It was filmed like movie with lots of close ups of Jimmy and John Paul. I read here recently that some people can't stand Robert's vocals. I have absolutely no problems with his vocals. This was so good that I could easily return to it again.

Mark, how were your DVD's?