Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: My Recent DVD Haul - What's Yours?

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Mark, how were your DVD's?
    Sorry for the delayed reply. Busy weekend away from home, running and funning.

The Harley/Cockney Rebel DVD is from an old British TV show from the early/mid 80s called Live In London. Quite a few are available on DVD now. I have ones by IQ, Twelfth Night and Pallas, iirc. This was an enjoyable watch, and while not prime CR, with no earlier DVDs available, it will have to do. None of the first version of the band are around for this, and only one from the 2nd, apart from Steve, of course. Judging by all the Duranie haircuts, I was expecting no less. It kind of gives the whole thing a vibe of a band hanging on and trying to be relevant after their time. Having said that, the young audience who looked similar to the ones in other shows from that time period knew all the words to the hits, and heartily sang along. It occurred to me that Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel must have been much bigger in the UK than they were in the USA.

The Hackett DVD is essential. Cracking performance by Steve and the band he put together early on, and which did his best work. I was fortunate to see that lineup one time, in 1980. Set list is great, performances are great, audience is engaged. If you are a Hackett fan, you need this (or Spectral Mornings, which I have and somehow thought was from a gig in Stockholm?)

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    ^^ No problem! Thanks for the in-depth review of Harley/Cockney Rebel. Where did you find the Hackett DVD you commented on? I'm definitely interested.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

[QUOTE=mozo-pg;1196664]
    Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    The Led Zeppelin 2 DVD set (of which I played the second disc) was excellent. Tracking this history over 6 years with 3 separate shows. It was filmed like movie with lots of close ups of Jimmy and John Paul. I read here recently that some people can't stand Robert's vocals. I have absolutely no problems with his vocals. This was so good that I could easily return to it again.
    I love this DVD set. The two songs from Presence on the 79 Knebworth show are absolutely stonking.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

^^ No problem! Thanks for the in-depth review of Harley/Cockney Rebel. Where did you find the Hackett DVD you commented on? I'm definitely interested.
    Hmm...best guess is Discogs, but eBay is also possible. I have a ridiculous backlog of DVDs, besides my ridiculous backlog of CDs and LPs, so saying for certain would be difficult, as I've likely had it for years.

EDIT: I looked, and I didn't get it on Discogs, but a UK seller has a new copy for around $20 US, including shipping.
    Last edited by moecurlythanu; 07-03-2023 at 06:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Hmm...best guess is Discogs, but eBay is also possible. I have a ridiculous backlog of DVDs, besides my ridiculous backlog of CDs and LPs, so saying for certain would be difficult, as I've likely had it for years.

EDIT: I looked, and I didn't get it on Discogs, but a UK seller has a new copy for around $20 US, including shipping.
    Awesome! Bought it. Thanks.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

It's Friday night again!! Tonight, I have to decide between blonde and black hash. We'll see.

As for the purpose of this thread, I've got the IQ Archives Collection 2003-2017 Box setup for tonight. I'll be watching the IQ30 and Subterranea shows. I first heard Subterranea upon it's release in the 90s and I was captivated. I thought it as the Lamb equivalent but somehow holding together more coherently thematically. I was captivated by this release and all these years later, it's clearly my favourite IQ album. Before the box set, the Subterranea DVD went for stupid prices on Ebay. No more! I've moved back and forth in my appreciation of IQ but I've firmly enjoyed them over the several years now.

P.S. It's Black!!!

I'll have to take a pass tonight, Greg. I'm running and funning again, albeit somewhat accidentally. I had a funeral to attend Wednesday-Thursday, and decided to pursue one of my other hobbies Thursday-Saturday. Namely, craft beer. In Pittsburgh this time. I was already in the area, so I had to. It's the law.

I'll have to take a pass tonight, Greg. I'm running and funning again, albeit somewhat accidentally. I had a funeral to attend Wednesday-Thursday, and decided to pursue one of my other hobbies Thursday-Saturday. Namely, craft beer. In Pittsburgh this time. I was already in the area, so I had to. It's the law.
    I hope you enjoy the craft beer in Pittsburgh. The IQ Subterranea show was excellent!

I took a different route last Friday. First I played a recording of David Sylvian, live at R.A.I.-Rome, 1988. The TV-show DOC featured Sylvian, Richard Barbieri, Stev Jansen, David Torn, Robbie Acceto, Mark Isham and Ian Maidman playing Orpheus, Taking The Veil, Weathered Wall and Riverman. I got a DVDr from this show from an befriended Italian musician. Too bad Sylvian has never released a DVD of one of his shows.

This is Taking The Veil from that program:

After this I watched or I should say listened to the documentary-DVD Colours Of Infinity which came with the book on fractals. The music is written and performed by David Gilmour. Would be a nice release as a stand-alone album ;-)

Here's a medley of that film:

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    I took a different route last Friday. First I played a recording of David Sylvian, live at R.A.I.-Rome, 1988. The TV-show DOC featured Sylvian, Richard Barbieri, Stev Jansen, David Torn, Robbie Acceto, Mark Isham and Ian Maidman playing Orpheus, Taking The Veil, Weathered Wall and Riverman. I got a DVDr from this show from an befriended Italian musician. Too bad Sylvian has never released a DVD of one of his shows.

[/video]
    I have a crystal clear one hour show for David Sylvian, a professional job. It starts with a laserdisc reference. That's a very interesting list of videos you watched.

I can't believe how much I love Friday nights. Total freedom from my wife on what I do and DVD watching. Me and my bowl. Mark, thrilled with your recommendation, only took a week to arrive from the UK, The Bremen Broadcast, Steve Hackett - Musikladen 8th of Novevmber 1978. Absolutley at Steve's peak.

The DVD itself is cool. Like a digipack (cardbroad) with a young Steve on the cover performing in front to a mike. Some of his best music - Ace Of Wand, Narmia, Shadow Of a Hierophant, and on and on. I know I'm going to love it - much anticipated.

Because it's not 2 hours, I have my rehearsal material on Pink Floyd's Pulse Deluxe Box!

What a potent combination! Potent - get it?

NP - Marillion's Season's End deluxe box.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 07-14-2023 at 06:23 PM.

Well, I'm at home tonight, so I guess I'll partake. Partake - get it?

Gonna start with the 2nd disc from Rush -Replay x 3, which is the p/g tour. A hash infused pre-roll should go nicely with it.

Well, I'm at home tonight, so I guess I'll partake. Partake - get it?

Gonna start with the 2nd disc from Rush -Replay x 3, which is the p/g tour. A hash infused pre-roll should go nicely with it.
    Hash infused, eh. For me, "And a merry old soul was he So he called for his pipe And he called for his bowl And he called for his fiddlers three" - with some blonde hash.

Was this a DVD thread!! Let me know what you think about the Rush DVD.

Gonna start with the 2nd disc from Rush -Replay x 3, which is the p/g tour.
    One of my most watched concert vids, both on VHS & DVD. Always enjoyable!

Hash infused, eh.
    Closest I could get, but I learned something. Apparently, something greatly different between Lebanese brick hash (which was what we got in the 70s,) and Afghani hash, (aka Finger hash (?) ) Wetter, thinner, not in brick form. No real hash taste, etc. Anyway, real nice mellow, happy 2-hit buzz. Was supposed to be laced on a short pre-rolled joint. Fun and enjoyable for over 2 hrs.

Let me know what you think about the Rush DVD.
    Very enjoyable. I had already seen Rush at least 4 times before this tour, which I saw in Tulsa, OK in 1984. Tbh, I have no recollection of the lasers, and doubt that they were used the whole tour. However, I remember Count Floyd, and so much shown in the rest of this video. Great fun and a trip back.

My only criticism of the Rush video, (which was apparently used for an hour TV show,) was that so many shots were of the individual musicians, with little of the band as a whole, or in groupings of 2.

Because the Rush vid was only an hour, I followed it up with Glass Hammer -Lex Live. Great fun. Their major influence is very evidently Yes, with a bit of Gentle Giant. This was the period when Fred, Steve and the guitarist were handling the vocals, but it was outstanding. Suzie and 3 other ladies held down the backing vocs. Loved it. I recall this band being ridiculed early on. As time has gone on, they've become respected. Imo, they've always been one of the top current bands, worthy of attention and respect.

Mark, your covering the U.S. Territory and I'm covering Canada.

The Rush show sounds fantastic. I also saw Rush a few times before 1984. I'll have to pick up the DVD too. I'm also a fan of Glass Hammer. Saw them at the Quebec festival, Terra Incognita. You've seen another DVD I need to pick up. I agree Steve's show was crackin'. I really enjoyed Shadow Of The Hierophant and Clocks. The whole show was great. Really glad I picked this up. Nick Magnus was great on keys - all the long haired 70s look was cool.
    co

I had a Dalton Trumbo-week (famous screenwriter and author of Johnny Got His Gun). Recently I discovered there was a stage-performance of Johnny Got His Gun on DVD, so after ordering it from the USA I received it this week and watched it last Wednesday. Impressive solo-performance!

Here's the trailer:

Thursday I re-watched the DVD with the documentary on Trumbo by Peter Askin, featuring actors like Brian Dennehy, Michael and Kirk Douglas, Liam Neeson and Donald Sutherland who read a lot of the letters Trumbo wrote.

Well, and on Friday-DVD-day I watched the movie Trumbo by Jay Roach.

B.t.w. I also have two DVD-editions of the movie Trumbo made from his novel Johnny Got His Gun; one contains the clip of Metallica's One, which features a couple of scenes from that movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM8bTdBs-cw

And yes, after the movie I had some time left for some music-DVD's

First I watched the clip Skeleton Crew from Carl Hupp, which is part of the DVD that comes with the CD Hyper Statue. The clip features Happy The Man-guitarist Stanley Whitaker playing some almost Holdsworthian guitar-solo's. You can watch the video on Carl's site: http://carlhupp.com/VideoMain.htm

And before going to bed I watched most of the Unclear Channel Live 2004-DVD from Whoopgnash.

Here's the track There's No Sound In Flutes, originally from the CD Full Scrape (2002), one of the three CD's I own from this Bill Connors/Holdsworth-like trio:

^^The full DVD from Whoopgnash:

Ya-Ba Da-Ba- Do! It's Friday night again! Hum de dum de dum

Tonight - David Sylvian and Robert Fripp - Live In Japan. With Trey Gunn and Pat Mastelotta. Essentially, King Crimson. It's filmed on Laserdisc. Includes God's Monkey, Damage, Exposure, Gone To Earth, 20th Century Dreaming, The First Day and many more.

I konked out last Friday after Hackett and never made my way through my deluxe box for Pink Floyd's Pulse. I hope to play the rehearsal material on the bonus disc. Pulse Screen Rehearsal 1994 and Concert Screen films 1994.

Looking forward to relaxing tonight and kicking back!

What are other folks up to?
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 07-21-2023 at 08:25 PM.

Camel - Live at The Royal Albert Hall (2018)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I always feel like an interloper if I'm not watching a DVD. But it's just nice to check in here for the weekend! Happy Friday! Hope you guys had a good week.

So, I just opened up a box from Amazon with P Tree's Deadwing deluxe edition and the Genesis BBC Broadcasts set, which is very nice and fondleable! So I'm listening to disk 2 of the Genesis set, which is the end of Knebworth 1978 and the first half of the Lyceum 1980 show, while having a fondle.

Thanks Jed! The Genesis BBC discs are excellent. I really enjoyed the Sylvian/Fripp DVD. It was crystal clear audio and video and filmed well. There were so many close ups on Fripp who I've had a hard time seeing live because he always sits to the side in the dark. The camera was directly on Fripp and you could clearly see his work on the fret board. Trey and Pat were excellent. They were all so young. The camera was between David and Fripp as the headliners of the show. Sylvian has one of the best voices in progressive rock. The whole DVD was really enjoyable. I'd watch this again some day. Oh yeah, there was a really cool version of Exposure and I recognized most the tunes.

The Pink Floyd Pulse DVD was worth watching. The band was rehearsing on the full stage set up and it always great to watch Gilmour's guitar playing and vocals.

It was a fun night!!
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 07-22-2023 at 10:34 AM.

I watched part of Loreena McKennitt's Nights From The Alhambra-DVD. Wonderful world/folk(rock):

Speaking of KC-related: From the category of (official) KC vid releases, much enjoyed especially Japan 1995 (Thrak tour vid aka Deja Vrooom) and Japan 1984 (TOAPP) during my many vid/aud time with those two during approx 1999-2004. From KC-related category, those are the two I know the most, and very well. From around those times I also know well but not as well their official DVD of the Power to Believe material/tour , which is also a great live release. As for their Frejus 1982 paired on same DVD with the above 1984 one, been postponing hearing/seeing it. From the 3 80s albums (red, yellow,blue),red is the only one I initially much knew from its studio version, abd my main exposure to yellow was from that above great 1984 live recording not the studio recording. All 3 live recordings above are great, but the 4th one (Frejus) I never got around to yet (except for a few minutes).