Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: My Recent DVD Haul - What's Yours?

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    As the world turns, we're back to Friday night! The most enjoyable part of the week/weekend. More fun tonight - I have both black and blonde hash to chose from, maybe both!!

The Sylvian/Fripp DVD last week was sublime. I bought the Giraffe Box Set from Gruno last year. It has two CDs, The View From Here and The Power Of Suggestion and a nice booklet on the band. I forgot there is a DVD, unplayed!: called Another Image Yet. It's up first thing tonight.

As a back up. Yes - Live From The House of Blues. As you know, this is from The Ladder line-up. What was the name of the short lived Russian keyboardist? I actually think Ladder is a pretty good album. If I don't konk out, I'll definitely play Awaken before I sleep.

The DVD is in the player now. Two shows from Live at Goldstar Cafe and Band Explosion in Tokyo, Japan. I'll let you know what I think!

I'm looking forward to see posts from my PE friends. Do you have a DVD on tap for tonight?
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 07-28-2023 at 08:29 PM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Yeah, I'm in Greg. Got back from the brewery and going to put in Roxy Music On Musik Laden from 1974/75. I've seen some of this on YouTube, so I know how incredible it is. Will wash it down with some Indica oil vape, which is pretty incredible.

If "Mother Of Pearl" isn't the most underrated song in Rock Music history, I don't know what is.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Happy Friday, guys! I'm only listening to CDs, but then again, I have no hash or indica oil! So I've started out with Hatfield and The North's debut, since it's being discussed in that thread recently. Not sure where I'll go after that...

Actually, I'm throwing my hat into the ring and watching Camel - Coming of Age!

Haven't watched it in a long time. In fact, it gives you the option of starting off with some rehearsal footage, which I may not have watched before. At least, I don't remember it. They were still such young guys!

I watched Allan Holdsworth Leverkusen 2010, one of the recent live DVD/CD-sets Manifesto Records released from the late master. Wonderful versions of tracks from Holdsworth, Chad Wackerman and The New Tony Williams Lifetime.
    Funny Holdsworth mentions before the last tune that they will make place for Steve Lukather

I have that Roxy Music at Music Laden too. My version even has the lyrics printed in the booklet; no idea how you can read them and watch the DVD at the same time though.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Yeah, I'm in Greg. Got back from the brewery and going to put in Roxy Music On Musik Laden from 1974/75. I've seen some of this on YouTube, so I know how incredible it is. Will wash it down with some Indica oil vape, which is pretty incredible.

If "Mother Of Pearl" isn't the most underrated song in Rock Music history, I don't know what is.

Hey Mark! Agreed about Mother Of Pearl being underrated. I have to hunt down the DVD on Musik Laden! Actually, couldn't find it on discogs. I did find Live At the Apollo 2003 which I bought off of Amazon.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 07-30-2023 at 09:07 PM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Actually, I'm throwing my hat into the ring and watching Camel - Coming of Age!

Haven't watched it in a long time. In fact, it gives you the option of starting off with some rehearsal footage, which I may not have watched before. At least, I don't remember it. They were still such young guys!
    Hey Jed, I have two Camel DVD's - from my original post on this thread:

3) Camel - Moonmadness - Royal Albert Hall
    4) Camel - Footage II (Vintage stuff from the 70s)

Haven't seen Camel - Coming of Age. Hope you enjoyed it! Where did you buy it?

I'm also a big fan of Holdsworth. I'll check out the YouTube clip and would like to hunt down the DVD on Manifesto Records. Interbellum, where did you find it?

My Yes DVD Live From The House of Blues, wouldn't play! I saw that tour in Toronto and really wanted to see it. Not sure why it's a defective disc. The Giraffe DVD I abandoned because I was looking for someone more prog. I did play Yes, Live At Montreux 2003 and it was quite enjoyable. I really prefer the original line up to the most recent configuration.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 07-30-2023 at 09:09 PM.

^ About the Camel - Coming of Age DVD, from the look of the price sticker on it, I'm pretty sure I bought it from Laser's Edge, possibly at a NEARfest. It was a pretty long time ago. I believe it's from a show in California somewhere after Dust and Dreams but before Harbour of Tears. It was very good, although I actually only watched until the Dust and Dreams stuff came up, then I was done for the night.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 07-31-2023 at 01:08 AM.

Coming of Age is a terrific live DVD. Another Camel DVD worth checking out is the documentary Curriculum Vitae.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I'm also a big fan of Holdsworth. I'll check out the YouTube clip and would like to hunt down the DVD on Manifesto Records. Interbellum, where did you find it?
    Manifesto Records-releases are available from most regular shops like Laster's Edge: https://www.lasercd.com/cd/leverkusen-2010-cddvd

Hey Mark! Agreed about Mother Of Pearl being underrated. I have to hunt down the DVD on Musik Laden! Actually, couldn't find it on discogs. I did find Live At the Apollo 2003 which I bought off of Amazon.
    This is the version I have: https://www.discogs.com/release/1289...sic-Musikladen

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Coming of Age is a terrific live DVD. Another Camel DVD worth checking out is the documentary Curriculum Vitae.
    I also like Curriculum Vitae, a fine journey through the history of this iconic band.

Other DVD's from Camel I have are Moondances - Camel Live 1976-1977 (with two different line-ups: the original with Doug Ferguson, plus the Raindances-line-up with Richard Sinclair and Mel Collins) and Total Pressure - Live In Concert 1984.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    I also like Curriculum Vitae, a fine journey through the history of this iconic band.

Other DVD's from Camel I have are Moondances - Camel Live 1976-1977 (with two different line-ups: the original with Doug Ferguson, plus the Raindances-line-up with Richard Sinclair and Mel Collins) and Total Pressure - Live In Concert 1984.
    I own both of these and they're my two favorite Camel DVDs. Pressure Points made me realize that Camel had maintained their popularity at least in the UK through the "new wave" era and incorporated then-trendy sounds into their music and they did so successfully.

Thanks for the links to the DVDs!

It's Friday night again!!

I decided to take the splurge and just bought the Musikladen DVD for Roxy Music. It was a hefty $39 Canadian shipping (shipping was close to almost twice the price of the actual DVD).

I also purchased the "Best Of The Best" Roxy Music (Live At The Apollo) on DVD from Amazon for $20. This is from a show in 2003 (thirty years after the band's peak) with plenty of hits like the previously mentioned "Mother of Pearl" - and my others (e.g., Virginia Plan, Love Is The Drug. Remake/Remodel Avalon, etc). It runs for over 2 hours. I think it should still be a decent show.

Let the partying begin!!
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 08-04-2023 at 08:54 PM.

The Roxy Music Live At the Apollo show was excellent. Ray Manzanera was in fine form with excellent playing and good energy. It was also nice to see Andy Mckay. Brian Ferry is a consummate performer and the band's full stage show was impressive. The version of "Mother Of Pearl" was done seamlessly. Two hour of action packed music!!

Now that I've watched the Apollo show I'm greatly looking forward to the Musikladen show from the 70s. Almost $40 is steep but it will likely be worth it!

Hey there! I'm going to leave my computer at home but travelling to Toronto this long weekend. Tonight is prog DVD night!

Here is my current DVD Haul (to be shipped).

1) NEARFEST 2005 > - Le Orme, IQ, Kenso, Present, Matthew Parmenter, The Muffins, Frogg
    Cafe, Knight Area, Wobbler and Steve Roach

2) LE ORME - SPECIAL TV 2006 > (LIVE AT STAZIONE BIRRA, ROME, ITALY 10/12/06)

3) PFM - LUGANO > SWITZERLAND 2001 (LIVE AT THE AUDITORIO STELIO MOLO DELLA RSI, LUGANO,
    SWITZERLAND 9/12/01)

4) SYLVIAN, DAVID - A FIRE IN THE FOREST (LIVE AT
    SHOWA WOMEN'S UNIVERSITY, HITOMI MEMORIAL HALL, TOKYO, JAPAN 4/24/04)

i was at the 2005 Nearfest and it was one of the best! I'll return tonight and post what I'm watching.

Is anyone coming out the play?

Tonight - David Gilmour - Live at Royal Albert Hall. Lots of Pink Floyd. Saw this tour in Toronto! Wicked show and he plays Echoes. Did I say Echoes? Plus lots of Floyd. What could be better.

Enjy!

^^Thanks Jed. I had fun. The Gilmour DVD was outstanding from beginning to end. Wait, I skipped all the On An Island Songs - too slow.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 08-13-2023 at 04:04 PM.

[QUOTE LE ORME - SPECIAL TV 2006 > (LIVE AT STAZIONE BIRRA, ROME, ITALY 10/12/06)

[/QUOTE]

How was this DVD? Was it the same line-up as NEARFest with two keyboardists (one doubling on violin)?
    This was actually my favorite era of Le Orme (HERESY!).
    I think they only made two albums.
    Last edited by Gravedigger; 08-11-2023 at 11:37 PM.

Received Fish's 13 Star Deluxe recently and tonight is free. So with that, I'm about to settle in to his 2008 Nearfest show (which is included along with 2 docs on the bluray), a dvd that's been on my "to get someday" list for quite a while and this was a very convenient way to finally achieve that.

The Roxy Music Live At the Apollo show was excellent. Ray Manzanera was in fine form with excellent playing and good energy. It was also nice to see Andy Mckay. Brian Ferry is a consummate performer and the band's full stage show was impressive. The version of "Mother Of Pearl" was done seamlessly. Two hour of action packed music!!

Now that I've watched the Apollo show I'm greatly looking forward to the Musikladen show from the 70s. Almost $40 is steep but it will likely be worth it!
    Ray Manzanera?

Quote Originally Posted by Gravedigger View Post
    [QUOTE LE ORME - SPECIAL TV 2006 > (LIVE AT STAZIONE BIRRA, ROME, ITALY 10/12/06)
    How was this DVD? Was it the same line-up as NEARFest with two keyboardists (one doubling on violin)?
    This was actually my favorite era of Le Orme (HERESY!).
    I think they only made two albums.[/QUOTE]

I saw the show at Nearfest and enjoyed the show but for the life of me I can't remember if there were two keyboardists! I ordered this and the rest of my DVD Haul from Greg Walker but don't have them yet. Do you recall which 2 albums?- I love Elementi.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 08-13-2023 at 03:42 PM.

Ray Manzanera?
    Oops. Phil Manzanera! I always mix Phil with the Door's keyboardist.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 08-14-2023 at 06:49 PM.