Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: My Recent DVD Haul - What's Yours?

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    How was this DVD? Was it the same line-up as NEARFest with two keyboardists (one doubling on violin)?
    This was actually my favorite era of Le Orme (HERESY!).
    I think they only made two albums.
    I saw the show at Nearfest and enjoyed the show but for the life of me I can't remember if there were two keyboardists! I ordered this and the rest of my DVD Haul from Greg Walker but don't have them yet. Do you recall which 2 albums?- I love Elementi.[/QUOTE]

L'infinito came after Elementi, and is more of the same goodness, imo.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I've been buying so many DVD's since the start of this thread. In addition to the 4 DVD's listed last week (Nearfest 2005, PFM, Le Orme, and Sylvian) picked up 2 additional DVD's:

WUTHERING NIGHTS: LIVE IN BIRMINGHAM (LIVE AT THE SYMPHONY HALL, BIRMINGHAM, U.K. 5/1/17 + BEHIND THE SCENES DOCUMENTARY + VIDEO CLIPS) (STEREO & 5.1 SURROUND SOUND) (BLU-RAY)

KBB - Live Official Bootleg - 2005.

I have so many DVD's now that I'm having a tough time storing them all!!
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 08-14-2023 at 06:52 PM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by reynard View Post
    Received Fish's 13 Star Deluxe recently and tonight is free. So with that, I'm about to settle in to his 2008 Nearfest show (which is included along with 2 docs on the bluray), a dvd that's been on my "to get someday" list for quite a while and this was a very convenient way to finally achieve that.
    Reynard - How was the DVD? The NF performance? Where did you find it?
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

OK to start with, here is the original DVD of which I spoke. He still had these available on his webstore until about 6 months ago, when he finally sold out. Now as you can see people be thinking they're made of platinum evidently because it was about $25usd in the store, regardless...

While what I watched was the same show/recording, my copy is part of the included goodies with his 13 Star Deluxe which was just released recently. And yes, thankfully now I don't have to pay through the nose for this show because of my procrastination about "adding it to my cart" all these years now. So yes, you can get a brand new copy of this show, plus a whole lot more, for far less then people are trying to sell the original dvd for.

As for the show itself, I thought it was fecking great! Granted I'm a big fan & with that comes some bias but it was honestly better then I had expected. I'm already looking forward to watching it again, but at the same time I'm kinda bummed. Reason being that from about 2005-2015, I was pretty well checked out of the music scene as a whole & all I listened to at the time was what I already owned. I now know in hindsight that he either started or ended that '08 tour (his last in NA) here & played my favorite venue at that! And I missed it... yeah I think subconsciously I was hoping it wouldn't be very good while simultaneously knowing that if it was good, I wouldn't forgive myself for missing it. Probably why I never could bring myself to buy it before . It's alright, I knows I can't change the past & just glad I finally got round to watching it.

Excellent. Nice overview!!

Friday Everyone!! -

I can hardly wait to receive my 6 DVD order (as above) from Symphonic (Greg Walker) - due on August 22nd.

I did receive, my registered mail from Spain, Roxy Music (I think from 1971) on Musik Laden. It cost $30 U.S. with shipping. I'm taking your lead, Mark! Many great tunes with the penultimate line up, including:

Virginia Plain
    Do The Strand
    Edition Of You
    In Every Dream Home
    Remake, Remodel
    Street Life
    Pyjamarama
    Mother of Pearl
    Amazona
    Psalm
    All I Want Is You
    Out Of The Blue
    It Takes All Night

The DVD is cued up but the options are in spanish. I'll start with the first choice - Wiedergabe (or is that German?)

That word looks German.

I'm watching NFL Preseason tonight, so no DVD. I still might partake who knows?

I had some spare time left last evening and watched the Kenso-part (5 songs) from the DVD Progfest 2000. Other bands on this DVD are Mona Lisa, Tempus Fugit, Codice and Supersister. There's also a double-CD-version of this festival, which also includes one short track from Spock's Beard and three pieces (well, two of them have two sections) from Rocket Scientists.
    The Kenso-performance is great as usual. This set is with their old drummer Masayuki Muraishi and with keyboard-player Keizo Kawano (don't think I've seen him on other DVD's).

Both DVD and CD-set are released by Musea.
    The DVD is on Discogs: https://www.discogs.com/release/8508...-Progfest-2000

The whole Kenso-performance (1 1/2 hour) can be heard on this audio-only Youtube-site: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFfGjhiaFeo

Here's the track Negai Kanaeru Kodomo:

Thanks for providing the Discogs site for this release. I almost bought one that was $37 Canadian but when I clicked to buy it, it said it could have surface noise. The rest of the options were too expensive. Oh, well. The YouTube clip is excellent!!

Have you seen them live? I missed their NF performance that year but my friend loved them.

I think the Roxy DVD was actually from a show around 1974/75. It was a lot more interesting from the 2000 version I saw last week. I was great to see a young and flamboyantly dressed Brian Eno, same of Phil Manzanara (sp). Bryan Ferry's performance was intense. Well worth the $30 Canadian I paid. I'm greatly looking forward ot my DVD packcage from Greg Walker this Tuesday.

Thanks for providing the Discogs site for this release. I almost bought one that was $37 Canadian but when I clicked to buy it, it said it could have surface noise. The rest of the options were too expensive. Oh, well. The YouTube clip is excellent!!

Have you seen them live? I missed their NF performance that year but my friend loved them.

I think the Roxy DVD was actually from a show around 1974/75. It was a lot more interesting from the 2000 version I saw last week. I was great to see a young and flamboyantly dressed Brian Eno, same of Phil Manzanara (sp). Bryan Ferry's performance was intense. Well worth the $30 Canadian I paid. I'm greatly looking forward ot my DVD packcage from Greg Walker this Tuesday.
    No, unfortunatelly I've never seen Kenso live, but I do have almost all their albums plus some DVD's.

I think the first five tracks from the Musik Laden-DVD are from 1973, before Eno left Roxy Music, and the other tracks from 1974/75 with Eddie Jobson on keyboards, replacing Eno.

Synphonic has that DVD for $20: http://synphonicmusic.com/country/DVD.html

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Synphonic has that DVD for $20: http://synphonicmusic.com/country/DVD.html
    Thanks, I'll check that out for my next order.

My new batch of DVDs

20230822_153925.jpg

My full collection!

All20230822_153851.jpg

More20230822_153746.jpg
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 08-25-2023 at 09:34 AM.

This week I bought Eric Clapton's 24 Nights: Orchestral, a 2CD/DVD-set with a compilations of the 6 concerts he did in 1990/1991 with the The National Philharmonic Orchestra led by the late Michael Kamen.

The other 36 concerts Clapton did in this period are also released as two 2CD/DVD-sets: Rock and Blues. You can also buy The Definitive 24 Nights (6 CDs+3Blu-Ray).

This is the first time all this stuff is released officially. There was a 2-CD-compilation in 1991.

The Orchestral-CD has the Concerto For Electric Guitar for the first time on CD with Clapton; Kamen did a studio-version with a Japanese guitarist before, because Clapton wasn't available and later on not interested.

Here's Layla (although my favorite track is Edge Of Darness):

And an early vid from I Shot The Sheriff (much better on the DVD!):

Since Cloud Atlas is a very long movie I hadn't had much time left to watch a DVD, so I choose the 4-track Live In Sweden from Rupert Hine, a recorded tv-show from 1982 featuring Phil Collins on percussion in one track. (I think he was supposed to play drums and sing - there is a drum-set on stage - but that someone from his record-company didn't allow that in the end. Hine is making jokes about it and makes apologies towards Phil during the track Set Up.)

Here's a bad video from the tv-show (there's a cd/dvd-set released by Gonzo in 2014: https://www.discogs.com/release/5798...Live-In-Sweden)

Interbellum - Very cool posts! I'm interested.

My internet went down the past week and a half - I had withdrawal symptoms.

Two Fridays ago I watched the 2005 Nearfest DVD. It was truly spectacular. The highlight was Le Orme playing Felona e Sorono. It was simply a delight to watch. Too bad Aldo is no longer with the band because he was central to the band. IQ played The Seventh House and that was quite nice. Wobbler played Imperial Winter White Dwarf - again very decent. I thought the Matthew Parmenter's set was very solid. Present was not my cup of tea. I still have Frogg Cafe and Knight Area to watch. Kenso played 20 minutes of their set and were quite decent. This is one of the most enjoyable DVD's I ever watched!!!

Last Friday I watched David Sylvian and PFM - click my pic above for the full names of the shows. David played Blemish which is one of the only CDs he's made that I don't enjoy. PFM played none of their classics. Both disappointing. Frano was wasted.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 09-03-2023 at 12:51 AM.

I just bought an OOP 4 DVD Box Set and Book (Jethro Tull: Around the World Live). Sixty six percent of users on prog archives rated it as a "masterpiece". I picked it up on discogs from a seller in Poland. It's mint and sealed. His site says 3 to 5 days for delivery.

Here's the breakdown from Progarchives:

DVD/Video, released in 2013

Songs / Tracks Listing
    DVD 1
    [Isle Of Wight, England, 1970]
    1. My Sunday Feeling
    2. My God

[Tampa, Florida, Usa, 1976]
    3. Quartet (Intro)
    4. Thick As A Brick
    5. Wond'ring Aloud
    6. Crazed Institution
    7. Barre (Instrumental)
    8. Drum Solo
    9. Medley: To Cry You A Song / A New Day Yesterday / Bourée / God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
    10. Living In The Past / Thick As A Brick
    11. A New Day Yesterday (Reprise)
    12. Too Old To Rock 'N' Roll, Too Young To Die
    13. Minstrel In The Gallery
    14. Extract From Beethoven's Symphony No.9 (Molto Vivace)

[Munich, Germany, 1980]
    15. Aqualung
    16. Dark Ages
    17. Home
    18. Orion
    19. Too Old To Rock 'N' Roll, Too Young To Die
    20. Cross-Eyed Mary
    21. Minstrel In The Gallery
    22. Locomotive Breath
    23. Dambusters March

DVD 2
    [Dortmund, Germany, 1982]
    1. Pussy Willow
    2. Heavy Horses

[Loreley, Germany, 1986]
    3. Black Sunday

[Santiago, Chile, 1996]
    4. Roots To Branches
    5. Rare And Precious Chain
    6. Thick As A Brick
    7. In The Grip Of Stronger Stuff
    8. Dangerous Veils
    9. Aqualung / Aquadiddly
    10. Nothing Is Easy
    11. Bourée
    12. In The Moneylenders' Temple
    13. My God
    14. Locomotive Breath

DVD 3
    [Hilversum, Holland, 1999]
    1. Some Day The Sun Won't Shine For You
    2. Thick As A Break
    3. Locomotive Breath
    4. The Secret Language Of Birds
    5. Dot Com
    6. Fat Man
    7. Bourée
    8. In The Grip Of Stronger Stuff

[London, England, 2001]
    9. Cross-Eyed Mary
    10. Hunt By Numbers
    11. My Sunday Feeling

[Montreux, Switzerland, 2003]
    12. Some Day The Sun Won't Shine For You
    13. Life Is A Long Song
    14. Living In The Past

DVD 4 [Lugano, Switzerland, 2005]
    1. Aqualung Intro
    2. For A Thousand Mothers
    3. Nothing Is Easy
    4. Jack In The Green
    5. Serenade To A Cuckoo
    6. Beggar's Farm
    7. Boris Dancing
    8. Weathercock
    9. We Five Kings
    10. Up To Me
    11. Bourée
    12. Mother Goose
    13. Empty Café
    14. Farm On The Freeway
    15. Hymn 43
    16. A New Day Yesterday
    17. Budapest
    18. Aqualung
    19. Locomotive Breath
    20. Protect And Survive
    21. Cheerio

Total time 392 min. approx.

Line-up / Musicians
    - Ian Anderson / vocals, flute, acoustic guitar
    - Martin Barre / guitars

- Different JETHRO TULL line-ups 1970 - 2005

Releases information
    4DVD+book Eagle Vision/Eagle Rock Entertainment EREDV982 (2013)

Sound options: DTS Surround Sound, Dolby Digital 5.1

Thanks to NotAProghead for the addition
    Edit this entry
    Buy JETHRO TULL Around the World Live (4DVD) Music

I also bought Eddie Jobson/UKZ Curtain Call from 2023. I'll provide more information once its arrived. I picked it up on Import CDs.

I have that Tull Around the World set. It's got some great stuff, it's a bit all over the place chronology-wise, but overall you'll enjoy it.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I have that Tull Around the World set. It's got some great stuff, it's a bit all over the place chronology-wise, but overall you'll enjoy it.
    I suspect you purchased this upon release. I had to spend a silly amount of money on it!! I did notice you point about the sequencing. It must have taken you some time to got through the full box. I am worried the shows from the early 2000s see the ravages of Ian's voice!

I also bought Eddie Jobson/UKZ Curtain Call from 2023. I'll provide more information once its arrived. I picked it up on Import CDs.
    Got that a few months ago and reported about it in another thread. To be short: great video, poor sound (although Eddie doesn't agree about the latter).

^^ The 2013 UK Reunion DVD is also poor sound quality. I had to use the Izotope RX10 Music Rebalance module to remix it. Boosting Marco's drums so they were audible, among other things.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    ^^ The 2013 UK Reunion DVD is also poor sound quality. I had to use the Izotope RX10 Music Rebalance module to remix it. Boosting Marco's drums so they were audible, among other things.
    Yes, and that one also has a very dark visual part, which is a lot better on Curtain Call.

Tonight I watched the Japanese-only DVD The Occurrence Of Slope from Steve Jansen. Although it's a live recording, containing most of the songs from Slope, all vocal pieces, featuring Tim Elsenburg, Joan Wasser, Nina Kinert, David Sylvian Anja Garbarek and Thomas Feiner) are from that studio-recording. Still a very enjoyable video. You can watch part of it on this Bandcamp-page: https://stevejansen.bandcamp.com/tra...f-disappearing

^^^ I'll check out the bandcamp link.

Well, well, well, it's Friday night again!!! It's black night.

Tonight, I'l playing Le Orme - Stazione Dirra - Roma 12/10/2006. When I opened the disc there is a separate show from Osanna (I think it's in black and white through). That's my first up

Next, I hope to make it to watch KBB Live 2005 Official Bootleg (Nearfest 2006 Edition). I'll watch this one if I can stay up after a long work week!