Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: My Recent DVD Haul - What's Yours?

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Friday night has passed and I didn't watch a Prog DVD but did . I had a Prog Night - it's like a book club for music. I invite my best buddies over to my house and each person introduces 2 songs and describes the band and music. Then, the next person takes their turn. It's incredible fun. I'm introduced to new music I hadn't heard before. We rotate Prog Nights to different friend's homes over the year.
    I do this every week with four prog-friends since 1993 with a progressive rock-radio show, called Xymphonia Each member of the team selects about 20 minutes of music, including back-ground-information which is used during the program and on the website.

Friday I watched Super Live! Live At Welcome Back, Toky 21-April 2009, the DVD of the Japanese band Qui. During this show Qui had five members, including band-leader/guitarist Takashi Hayashi, bass-player Naoyuki Seto (with great Jaco P.-like fretless bass-motives) and Kazuo Yoshida on flute. On my only CDr of the band though, Prelude, Qui was a trio with only Hayashi as permanent member.

One of the track on the DVD, Minamo Ni Tsuki, was also played at ProgDay 2009 (I believe this one is also in one of the Romantic Warrior-documentaries:

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    ^^ Cool selection

It's Friday night again. My absolute best time of the week!!

Tonight, one of my all time favourite bands - Allman Brothers Band 40 - March 26, 2009. 40th Anniversary Show - Beacon Theater.

Particularly looking forward to Whipping Post, Dreams, In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed. In fact, the entire set list looks really nice.

If I make it through the Allman's DVD, I'll watch 50th Annversay Yes - ARW. Live At The Apollo - Looking forward to Awaken. After a long work week, I might fall asleep.

Last edited by mozo-pg; 11-05-2023 at 12:30 PM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Well, I'm getting old! I passed out before my Yes DVD. The Allmans were incendiary. Greg was such a legend. His voice was still intact. I bought his solo Old Country Road in a package (shirt, lp, cd, lithograph). The lithograph was signed, it's lovely and sits framed in a hallway near my den. The show itself was so amazing. Greg's voice was clear. Warren Haynes took the lead several times and Derek Trucks was cool.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 11-04-2023 at 04:21 PM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Friday-evening I watched the dvd Difícil Equilibrio Present - Live Tiana 2008. This is a fine Spanish band from Barcelona that plays in a style similar to King Crimson, although less academic. Two guitarist, bass and drums. The encore is Easy Money!

For sale: https://www.discogs.com/release/8508...ive-Tiana-2008

I also have their third CD Simetricanarquia.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Friday-evening I watched the dvd Difícil Equilibrio Present - Live Tiana 2008. This is a fine Spanish band from Barcelona that plays in a style similar to King Crimson, although less academic. Two guitarist, bass and drums. The encore is Easy Money!

For sale: https://www.discogs.com/release/8508...ive-Tiana-2008

I also have their third CD Simetricanarquia.
    I can hear the King Crimson influence. Yes, it still sounds original. Decent! Oh yeah, thanks for the link. I bought it from France at a very reasonable price, including shipping! I also recommend checknig out the 40th Allmans at the Beacon.

The LONG weekend in Canada. A trip with the wife to Montreal tomorrow, seeing The Musical Box in the Gatinaue, Quebec on Sunday with my wife and another couple and the new Mission Impossible on Monday.

Tonight - I waited for 2 months shipping from Poland to Ottawa (their postal system sucks) and I now have a beatiful box set 4 DVD case, Jethro Tull Around The World. It's brand new (50 pounds!). It's going to take some time to get through this monster. I'll start with DVD 1 tonight - Isle Of Wight Show 1970, Dortmund Germany 1982, Lorelay,German 1986 and Santiato Chile 1996! That's part of the Around The World.

Lorne, I know you have the JT Box set!
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 11-10-2023 at 07:38 PM.

I do have it, yes! And it's got some great stuff on it, you'll enjoy it.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I do have it, yes! And it's got some great stuff on it, you'll enjoy it.
    Cool! I'll let you know what I think this weekend!!

Disc One of Tull's Around The World quite enjoyable. The video quality for 50 year old footage was pretty solid and the audio was okay. It was great to see the earlier band line up. Seeing Ian at such an early age was a scream. The 1976 German show was my favourite. I saw the same tour in Ottawa when I was a wee lad of 14 years old! Ian Anderson really understood how to capture the attention of the audience.

I watched Camel's Total Pressure yesterday. I know now it's also in the new box-set, so I guess the new version is ever better, but I enjoyed it a lot. Andy Latimer is always a joy to hear and Colin Bass' fretless bass is great too. The direction of the shots of the three keyboard-players wasn't very good though: too often during solo's the wrong player was shown.

The direction of the shots of the three keyboard-players wasn't very good though: too often during solo's the wrong player was shown.
    I watched it once on a VHS tape years ago, and I remember being particularly frustrated during "Wait". They showed Chris Rainbow
    slapping rhythmically at his keyboard instead of Ton Scherpenzeel soloing.

Interbellum - I received my new copy of dificille equillibrio's DVD Present. It was superfast shipping from France. It's now on my watch list. Thanks for the tip.

Interbellum - I received my new copy of dificille equillibrio's DVD Present. It was superfast shipping from France. It's now on my watch list. Thanks for the tip.
    Enjoy!

It's Friday night again!

I don't have much to report. I'll watch Dificille Equillibrio's DVD Present. It's already been described quite nicely so I have nothing to add. I'll comment tomorrow on my impressions. It been a long and successful work week, I'm hoping to have the energy to watch the 2nd DVD of Tull's Around the World 4 DVD box.

I scored 1 onze of Black Hash this week!!

Well, I didn't make it through the Tull DVD (fell asleep) but I did watch all of Dificille Equillibrio. The was a really impressive show. It is very highly influenced by Crimson. The cover of Easy Money was excellent. There music is overwhelming instrumental and this is really their soft spot. The one of two songs with vocals was less enjoyable. I really liked the lead guitrist and drummer.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 11-18-2023 at 05:31 PM.

Well, I didn't make it through the Tull DVD (fell asleep) but I did watch all of Dificille Equillibrio. The was a really impressive show. It is very highly influenced by Crimson. The cover of Easy Money was excellent. There music is overwhelming instrumental and this is really their soft spot. The one of two songs with vocals was less enjoyable. I really liked the lead guitrist and drummer.
    Yeah, I guess singing is not their most strong point, but it didn't bother me very much.

After watching the first part of the movie Lawrence Of Arabia (which is already 2'10 hours) I watched a large part the DVD that comes in the 5 disc special edition of David Gilmour Live In Gdańsk. To be honest I bought this box mainly because of the 5.1 surround sound version of On An Island, so I haven't watched the live-set just once years ago. But re-watching was fun; great to see Gilmour perform his work with an orchestra.

Friday Night!

Gilmour Live in Dgansk is excellent.

Well, I'm returning to my 4 DVD set of the Jehtro Tull Around the World - Disc 2 - Dortmund Germany 82 and Loreley Germany 86; a more complete show of Santiago, Chile 1986.

I'm starting earlier tonight, so maybe, maybe, ARW in concert.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 11-24-2023 at 08:37 PM.

It's Friday night again!! Whew!

Marillion Freaks Unit (calling Jed, Lorne).

I've received a brand new wonderful Blu Ray DVD, Marillion - An Hour Before It's Dark - Live in Port Zeland 2023.

I'm really looking forward to hearing "Dark" played on this newly released Marillion weekend. There's an encore with 5 songs, including Estonia, Afraid of Sunlight, This Space, etc
    There's a Sunday night (19th March) Extra Show with 9 tunes, including Bridge, Living With The Big Lie, Runaway, The Hollow Man, and so on.

I'm totally pumped to watch this no doubt excellent DVD!!!!

Nice! Let us know how that one is!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Nice! Let us know how that one is!
    Wow! With all my hyperbole this had better been a great show. And, it was! The band was in top form. Steve Hogarth's vocals were powerful, even at his age. The audience went crazy - so much applause. An Hour Before It's Dark is really a decent album and was well received. Steve Rothery, one of my all time favourite guitarists, was very tasteful. I think Mark Kelly directly contributed to the writing of this album and had a nice solo during the show and tasteful playing throughout. Due to , I knocked out before I had a chance to watch the Extra Sunday night show, the set list looks great.

I still have 2 DVD's left to watch on my Tull boxset Around the World so next week will be Marillion and Tull.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I have that Marillion Blu-Ray, but I haven't watched it yet. This weekend I obviously had other plans (I'm enjoying the Massive Camel Box as I type this). I also bought the 2CD set of the same audio as the Blu-Ray, which I always do with the Marillion stuff. I like to have the CDs for the car especially. Mark Kelly always contributes directly to writing the albums, but I believe he did write more of this one than sometimes. Maybe that was your point.

Recently I found a very cheap copy of the DVD Imaginary Day Live by the Pat Metheny Group. It's collects shows recorded between July 21 and 23. Although I'm not the biggest Metheny-fan, I can enjoy watching this. The surround sound is very good. The concerts were open air and during the first couple of tracks they perform in daylight.

The complete DVD can be seen on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/JazzBluesRo...6139023072167/

Here's the title-track:

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I have that Marillion Blu-Ray, but I haven't watched it yet. This weekend I obviously had other plans (I'm enjoying the Massive Camel Box as I type this). I also bought the 2CD set of the same audio as the Blu-Ray, which I always do with the Marillion stuff. I like to have the CDs for the car especially. Mark Kelly always contributes directly to writing the albums, but I believe he did write more of this one than sometimes. Maybe that was your point.
    That's cool Jed. Yes, my point is the Mark had a more prominant role on the latest album. Friday night - I enjoyed the Blu Ray so much, I'll repeat it tonight. I'll start with the Sunday night show and then return to An Hour Before It's Dark. Marillion is a top 10 band for me. Every time I've seen them live they've been stunningly excellent.

I also love the Camel Massive Box - So much to explore. I hope you enjoy it as much as I am. Those CDs really rock - a more aggressvie sounding band to my ears.

Enjoy your Friday night everyone!! Party on Wayne.

The Sunday night show included several tunes from Brave (my favourite Marillion album), with the image of the album coer projected on the screen. The filming was really well done and the audio was excellent. I also watched the main video again covering An Hour Before It's Dark. This is one of the most enjoyable Marillion DVD's I own.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 12-09-2023 at 01:07 PM.

Recently I found a very cheap copy of the DVD Imaginary Day Live by the Pat Metheny Group. It's collects shows recorded between July 21 and 23. Although I'm not the biggest Metheny-fan, I can enjoy watching this. The surround sound is very good. The concerts were open air and during the first couple of tracks they perform in daylight.

The complete DVD can be seen on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/JazzBluesRo...6139023072167/

Here's the title-track:
    I'll check this out! Metheny played in Ottawa this summer. Wanted to go but ended up missing it.