Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: My Recent DVD Haul - What's Yours?

After watching the movie Mandy (which opens with King Crimson's Starless and has wonderful music of the late Johann Johannsson) I watched Jonathan Demme's Stop Making Sense from Talking Heads. The concert-movie is back in the cinema's again, but I missed it, so watched it from DVD. Great vibes and surround sound!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Another work week finished! Time to and watch a DVD.

Tonight - the classic - Remember That Night - David Gilmour - Live at Albert Hall. I'm really looking forward to this Blu-ray disc. Particularly looking forward to Echoes. I saw this tour in Toronto and the show was amazing!

I have a back up DVD (if I make it that far!) - KBB Live 2005 Official Bootleg. It's gonna be a fun night!!

TMB show last Satruday in Montreal was excellent.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I watched Kazumi Watanabe's The Spice Of Live In Concert. It's a great show (sometimes the cameraswitches are a bit too quick though). You could describe the music as early Bill Bruford Earthworks, Discipline-period King Crimson, Bruford, early solo-recordings Jeff Berlin and some The Police.
    This was a laserdisc, released on DVD in 2004.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Another work week finished! Time to and watch a DVD.

Tonight - the classic - Remember That Night - David Gilmour - Live at Albert Hall. I'm really looking forward to this Blu-ray disc. Particularly looking forward to Echoes. I saw this tour in Toronto and the show was amazing!

I have a back up DVD (if I make it that far!) - KBB Live 2005 Official Bootleg. It's gonna be a fun night!!

TMB show last Satruday in Montreal was excellent.
    Don't break your Prog bone! That's a good Gilmour there. I like KBB too, but never seen them live or on video.

Last night I watched NEARfest 2005: Rising To The Surface on DVD. I wasn't at the 2005 NF, so it's fun to see what these bands were like then. The original Wobbler lineup, with a young Lars Frederick Froislie, for example, are fun to see.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Don't break your Prog bone! That's a good Gilmour there. I like KBB too, but never seen them live or on video.

Last night I watched NEARfest 2005: Rising To The Surface on DVD. I wasn't at the 2005 NF, so it's fun to see what these bands were like then. The original Wobbler lineup, with a young Lars Frederick Froislie, for example, are fun to see.
    - I think the NF 2005 DVD is one of the best I've seen this year. I feel asleep and missed KBB but the Gilmour show was incredible.

Interbellum - you always have interesting choices.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Interbellum - you always have interesting choices.
    Thanks! Well, I can't surprise you with KBB, can't I?
    (Yes, I have the official bootleg from 2005 too).

Friday!!

Tonight I have Genesis - Duke Revisited - Live at the Lyceum in London. Recorded during the 1980 Duke Tour. Stellar set list. The bonus track is "The Knife". Pretty well every tune is classic Genesis.

The Duke DVD was fantastic. Collins was at his peak performance abilities. Tony was a pleasure to watch his keys up close on an almost perfect set list. The drumming was excellent. The picture was fine (not pristine) and the audio was fine. I could easily watch this again.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^ Sounds like it was another hash-tastic Friday night for you!

Right now I'm listening to some live, pre-Shamal Gong, so some of that would come in handy...

I watched Old School Fusion Live, a compilation-DVD from the Polish band Laboratiorium Metal Mind Productions released in 2008. It contains recordings from 1978, 1982 and 1996, including interviews etc. The band started arround 1970 in a time Western music was hardly known in Poland. This makes the music quite unique. It often has the same playfulness as - dare I say - Canterbury Scene-bands. I'm just not that fond of the wild vocal contributions from the saxophone-player.

Here's a more recent performance of Laboratorium:

And a short live-shot with orchestra:

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    ^ Sounds like it was another hash-tastic Friday night for you!

Right now I'm listening to some live, pre-Shamal Gong, so some of that would come in handy...
    Yes indeed! But it was a vape pen-tastic! lol. I used to listen to Gong regularly but haven't in decades, Need to rectify that.

Interbellum - I'll check out your videos for Laboratiorium.

Ouch, I watched a DVD on a Sunday-afternoon.

Last week the second boxset of Go West was released. This time it features the remaster of Dancing On The Couch, originally from 1987. CD2 features B-sides, remixes and rarities, while CD3 has the Live At Hammersmith Odeon 1987-concert as performed in The Runaway Train Tour. The same set can also be viewed on the DVD in the set (minus one track). My main interest in Go West is the late great guitarist Alan Murphy and there's again a lot to love on this set.

More information on this boxset: https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/...couch-reissue/

Here's a part of the set (originally released on video):

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    I watched Old School Fusion Live, a compilation-DVD from the Polish band Laboratiorium Metal Mind Productions released in 2008. It contains recordings from 1978, 1982 and 1996, including interviews etc. The band started arround 1970 in a time Western music was hardly known in Poland. This makes the music quite unique. It often has the same playfulness as - dare I say - Canterbury Scene-bands. I'm just not that fond of the wild vocal contributions from the saxophone-player.

Here's a more recent performance of Laboratorium:

And a short live-shot with orchestra:

Really great playing, nice groove.

Hash Friday!!

Tonight one of all time favourite bands. Supertramp Live in Paris Blu Ray.

Last edited by mozo-pg; 02-09-2024 at 10:47 PM.

In my country Laboratorium has a certified legendary status. Mainly amongst the older generations. But unfortunately a lot of the younger listeners aren't too familiar with that band. ;_: I personally found out about the band when I was looking for samples to use in my hip hop beats. :P
    NG ~ BC ~ PA
    “Pointing out the problem doesn't make it go away!” —Mr. Enter

The Paris concert was truly amazing. It's like comfort food. Supertramp's impact on the music world was simply outstanding. I'd rate Crime Of The Century as a top 20 album in my collection. I remember vividly watching the show in Ottawa on a warm summer night! . I was really struck by Rick's amazing piano skills. All of the songs are classic ones. I'm sure I'll return to this gem of a DVD again.

Hash Friday!!

Tonight one of all time favourite bands. Supertramp Live in Paris Blu Ray.

Got this one on DVD and yes, that's a great performance from a fantastic band. Crime is also in my top 20; there will be a book on the album shortly (see https://burningshed.com/steve-pilkin...e-century_book)

I watched the DVD The "Cat Is Out" Tour from Judie Tzuke, recorded in 1985. Tzuke entered the popworld slightly after Kate Bush. Her progressive popsongs on the debute-album Welcome To The Cruise (featuring amongs others Simon Phillips) made a great impression. This show features Mike Simmonds on keyboards.

Here's the closingtrack Stay With Me Till Dawn:

Got this one on DVD and yes, that's a great performance from a fantastic band. Crime is also in my top 20; there will be a book on the album shortly (see https://burningshed.com/steve-pilkin...e-century_book)

I watched the DVD The "Cat Is Out" Tour from Judie Tzuke, recorded in 1985. Tzuke entered the popworld slightly after Kate Bush. Her progressive popsongs on the debute-album Welcome To The Cruise (featuring amongs others Simon Phillips) made a great impression. This show features Mike Simmonds on keyboards.

Here's the closingtrack Stay With Me Till Dawn:

Interbellum, I never heard of Judie Tzuke This sound is very melodic and cathcy. I really like her vocals and the feel of the song. Another good pick.

Interbellum, I never heard of Judie Tzuke This sound is very melodic and cathcy. I really like her vocals and the feel of the song. Another good pick.
    There's a lot to discover for you: https://www.tzuke.com/
    As you can see she's still active, although I guess Judie Tzuke is better known in the U.K. (and a bit in Europe) than in the U.S.A.

^^^ Thanks! I'll check it out.

The last one I watched was Uriah Heep's Acoustically Driven which I had not seen in years. Recorded live around 2000 or so, I still really like this. The set interestingly shies away from hits, for the most part. It focusses more on album tracks which were seldom- if ever- played live before.

I saw that they recently did a similar thing on an anniversary tour. But sadly Trevor Bolder and Lee Kerslake are no longer with us.

If I could freeze time, I'd do it for Friday nights!! My usual combination of hashish and prog DVDs.
    Working so hard during the week days but now time to sit back and relax.

Tonight - UK Curtain Call - Eddie Jobson, John Wetton, Alex Machacek, and Marco Minnemann. All amazingly talented musicians. I know this has questionable audio but I'm not an audiophile so this is not a big issue for me. They play all of the UK S/T album and Danger Money album. The Box Set is very nicely done - with four panels and 2 DVD and 1 Blue Ray audio and booklet written by Eddie Jobson.

If I can stay awake, I'll return to my 4 DVD Box Set for Jethro Tull.

Here's an online review of the DVD:

Here's Alaske/Time to Kill from Tokyo, Japan in 2013:

Last edited by mozo-pg; 02-16-2024 at 08:56 PM.

I enjoyed the DVD - particularly like the S/T album but both were decent. I saw the UK show in Montreal with Jobson, Wetton, an Bozzio. Could't believe how loud the drums were but i really liked the show. Hard to believe that was near the end of Wetton's life.

Friday I bought the blu-ray with the movie Oppenheimer and watched it that evening (3 hours!), so no music-dvd for me this time.

UK's Curtain Call, yes, the audio is quite bad, but the images makes you almost forget that.

Friday I bought the blu-ray with the movie Oppenheimer and watched it that evening (3 hours!), so no music-dvd for me this time.

UK's Curtain Call, yes, the audio is quite bad, but the images makes you almost forget that.
    No prog video! Get with the program.

Most people really like Oppenheimber but I watched twice because I thought I might be missing something, ultimate I didn't enjoy it. It wasn't a bad movie but any stretch.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 02-18-2024 at 08:47 PM.