Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829 LastLast

Thread: My Recent DVD Haul - What's Yours?

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Friday Night Again!

I'll replay the Genesis 1976 concert video I own. Never tiire of this era. Next, two Styx DVD's - The New Orleans Arena - Too Much Love On My Hands, Fooling Yourself - Young White Man, Light Up (will do), Superstars, Crystal Ball, Blue Collar Man, Rockin' The Paradise, Renegide. Next - Styx: The Grand Illusion Live!!

Rene - Haven't seen you in a few weeks?
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 08-16-2024 at 05:19 PM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Yeah, there were some football-games (European Championship) on friday-evenings and last week I wanted to watch one more episode of the series Dopesick.

Yesterday I watched most of the DVD Solution Live from 2006 which features a reunion-concert of this famous Dutch band.
    I saw the band myself live twice, one time during the Cordon Bleu-promotional tour and then after It's Only Just Begun was released.

Here's one track from that DVD, called Divergence:

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Friday Night!

Electric Light Orchestra - The Early Years. From Brunnel University 1973, RockPalast 1974, Fusion 1976. This is my favourite part of ELO's career. It's really cool to see such a young Jeff Lynne even though that he still looks ageless. There is so many great tunes. ELO was my gateway drug to prog and as a young pup. I still love their music - Eldorado is a top 10 album of all time for me.
    I have that one.

Solution Live - Jazz oriented. Sounds of Gentle Giant with the keyboard playing

g
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I have that one.
    Me too! Decent picture and sound from the classic era of the band.

Solution Live - Jazz oriented. Sounds of Gentle Giant with the keyboard playing

g
    They are more or less from the same category as Supersister, especially in the early years. One of the tracks was later used by Focus (see the text under the video), while Focus-guitarist Jan Akkerman played on one of their albums.

It's Friday night again!!!

I haven't decided what to spin tonight. I have several possibilities: 1) Porcupine Tree - Arriving Somewhere, 2) - Duke Revisited, 3) Transatlantic - Live At The Olympia.

I'm leaning towards:

I can't loss with either of the three choices. I might even sample parts of all three. I'm watching the opening ceremonies of the Olympics right now with my lovely wife but the hash pipe is coming out (after a six week break) and maybe some vape.

Friday night rocks!!!!!!!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^ Enjoy, don't float away!

I'm just spinning some tunes, nothing special. Actually, next I'll listen to the second disk from the new Oresund Space Collective album, Orgone Unicorn. I listened to disk 1 the other night. I bought the CD mainly because it was their first release on Laser's Edge, so since Ken plumped for it I wanted to see how it is. Disk 1 was ok, but not amazing, IMO.

Thanks, Jed. It was a fun night. I only watched the Porcupine Tree DVD - it was very enjoyable.

Happy Friday!

I'm pulling out a CD/DVD Set. The Official Keith Tribute Conference. Fanfare For the Uncommon Man. The DVD has 22 songs. I'm looking forward to Tarkus and many other classic songs - it looks like over 2 hours of ELP.

Should be fun.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^ This video looks like it's not the concert - it's all interviews. The concert should be good though.

Just listening to a couple of albums suggested by my earlier wanderings on Reddit today: Tull's Catfish Rising, and Hold Your Fire from Rush!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    ^ This video looks like it's not the concert - it's all interviews. The concert should be good though.

Just listening to a couple of albums suggested by my earlier wanderings on Reddit today: Tull's Catfish Rising, and Hold Your Fire from Rush!
    Cool. I am so locked into the 70s for Rush there is likely a lot of great music I'm missing on.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 08-02-2024 at 10:49 PM.

I watched part of the dvd 21st Century Schizoid Band - Live In Japan.
    It's so cool to know how Jakko M Jakszyk first was a hugh King Crimson-fan, became a well-known musician who played with a lot of great acts (Level 42, Japan-members, Tom Robinson, Alice) and made some fine solorecordings. Then he go into a King Crimson-tribute band featuring former members of that band like Mil Collins, Michael Giles and Ian McDonald and finaly became a member of King Crimson itself! What a story.

Just watched the newest Nektar concert last night. Really nice. Band was hot. And yes, very sad seeing Ron for the last time. Just amazed how good he was at that age. Mindboggling.

Also this week watched Lazuli from NotP 2022. Damn this band smokes! Highly recommended. Blown away by them all those years ago at ROSfest, they've only gotten better.

Maybe in the next week, these 2 new acquisitions:
    Focus - Live in England (2009)
    Martin Turned - Life Begins(2010)
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    I watched part of the dvd 21st Century Schizoid Band - Live In Japan.
    It's so cool to know how Jakko M Jakszyk first was a hugh King Crimson-fan, became a well-known musician who played with a lot of great acts (Level 42, Japan-members, Tom Robinson, Alice) and made some fine solorecordings. Then he go into a King Crimson-tribute band featuring former members of that band like Mil Collins, Michael Giles and Ian McDonald and finaly became a member of King Crimson itself! What a story.

That's a great Youtube clip.

Friday again!!

Tonight - IQ Scrape Across The Sky: Live at Boerderiij, Zeterment, Holland 6 December 2014

I think this is the full show;

I've had a love/hate relationship with IQ but mostly love. This is a Blu-Ray release with songs such as Awake And Nervous, The Darkest Hour, From The Outside In, The Road Of Bones, Frequency, Without Walls, Ocean, Leap Of Faith , Until The End, Outer Limits and The Seventh House. There is also 3 hours of extras, including The Encores and The Lorelei Festival.

I enjoyed Scrape Across The Sky - watched he bonus material too. Excellent musicianship across the board and Peter Nicholl's vocals are nice. I'm stuck by his performance style, very laid back. Noting like Steve H who interact and jokes with the audience. It was a fun way to spend a Friday night!!

Never been into IQ myself from the moment I heard their first LP in the early 80s. I have one or two albums and seen some of their shows, but it didn't make me a fan.

Yesterday I watched a part of 75th, the dvd (which is also available as double-cd with a few more tracks) by Joe Zawinul & The Zawinul Syndicate. It's from a show from August 2007. What an energy, what a drive! And a very good surround mix!

Here's the openingtrack Orient Express:

I like Weather Report a lot. Nice to see Zawinal still performing. I liked it.

I like Weather Report a lot. Nice to see Zawinal still performing. I liked it.
    Well, actually Zawinul died a few months after this show.

I've definitely has been MIA from this thread for a while. Sorry to hear about your troubles mozo but glad it sounds like you're on the mend. My habits of music consumption tends to flow like that of a sine curve & I'm certainly at the bottom of one currently. Case in point so far in 2024 I've only added 7 new releases to my collection & one of those "To Follow Polaris" was technically purchased over a year ago. One of those purchases was the latest Ayreon concert extravaganza "Live Beneath the Waves" & though I've had it on the shelf for months now, finally got round to watching concert video last weekend. Here's the (now required?) clip

Certainly enjoyable & while "01011001" happens to be the first Ayreon album I bought for myself & was my gateway to this ensemble outfit of Arjen's, it's not one I find myself listening to that much anymore. To that end I have to rank it third place of the three shows I have behind "Electric Castle Live & Other Tales" & "Ayreon Universe".

I should also point out, as evidenced in the video here, they really upped the use of slow motion shots... something I'm really not fond of personally.
    Last edited by reynard; 08-15-2024 at 11:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by reynard View Post

I should also point out, as evidenced in the video here, they really upped the use of slow motion shots... something I'm really not fond of personally.
    It's meant to simulate the moment the 'ludes kick in.

Quote Originally Posted by reynard View Post
    I've definitely has been MIA from this thread for a while. Sorry to hear about your troubles mozo but glad it sounds like you're on the mend. My habits of music consumption tends to flow like that of a sine curve & I'm certainly at the bottom of one currently. Case in point so far in 2024 I've only added 7 new releases to my collection & one of those "To Follow Polaris" was technically purchased over a year ago. One of those purchases was the latest Ayreon concert extravaganza "Live Beneath the Waves" & though I've had it on the shelf for months now, finally got round to watching concert video last weekend. Here's the (now required?) clip

Certainly enjoyable & while "01011001" happens to be the first Ayreon album I bought for myself & was my gateway to this ensemble outfit of Arjen's, it's not one I find myself listening to that much anymore. To that end I have to rank it third place of the three shows I have behind "Electric Castle Live & Other Tales" & "Ayreon Universe".
    I
    Welcome back Reyard and thanks! I have the box of Electric Castle:

20240816_143617 (2).jpg

I haven't listened to it yet but there is a 2 DVD set and Blu Ray. I'll spin it sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    It's meant to simulate the moment the 'ludes kick in.

It's Friday Night Again!! Time for and a prog DVD.

Tonight, up for viewing, Marillion's DVD vrom Somowhere In London.

Live In The Forum, Kentish Town, London 15 &16 June 2007. Includes Splintering Heart (above), The Other Half, You're Gone, No Such Thing, Faith, Fantastic Places, The Wound, A Voice From The Past, Somewhere Else, Man Of A Thousand Faces, Between You And Me, King, The Release and Neverland.

I think Lorne recommended this DVD to me sometime ago.

Yes he loves it. I think JJ88 is also a big fan, as am I. Even though I'm sure I haven't listened to the album "Somewhere Else" more than half a dozen times ever, meaning I'm not a fan, this is easily in my top 3 fave H era concert vids. I'm sure I mentione dit in the previous DVD thread.

Tonight I thought I'd be watching one of the docs included with the Fish Vigil & IE deluxe versions just released but alas, they're still in the shrink wrap on the shelf because I really want to rock & I have an hour to do it. So I'm going to one of my most watched dvd's that fits the bill perfectly.

Have a good weekend everyone