Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: My Recent DVD Haul - What's Yours?

I've started to watch some Rush DVDs lately and earlier today I watched both the great Replay box set and R30. What a band!!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hour Candle View Post
    I've started to watch some Rush DVDs lately and earlier today I watched both the great Replay box set and R30. What a band!!
    I have the R30 but am not familiar with the Replay box set (what's on that one/when was it released?). Thanks!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I have the R30 but am not familiar with the Replay box set (what's on that one/when was it released?). Thanks!
    Well, in all fairness the correct title of the box is Replay X 3 and it consists of three classic shows only released on VHS earlier, Exit...Stage Left, material from one of the Grace Under Pressure tour concerts and A Show of Hands.

Well, in all fairness the correct title of the box is Replay X 3 and it consists of three classic shows only released on VHS earlier, Exit...Stage Left, material from one of the Grace Under Pressure tour concerts and A Show of Hands.
    The Exit Stage Left must be really nice!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

It also contains a CD, featuring the following:

Grace Under Pressure Tour Soundtrack
    CD1-1 Intro 0:57
    CD1-2 The Sprit Of Radio 4:54
    CD1-3 The Enemy Within 4:48
    CD1-4 The Weapon 7:42
    CD1-5 Witch Hunt 4:41
    CD1-6 New World Man 3:59
    CD1-7 Distant Early Warning 6:11
    CD1-8 Red Sector A 5:23
    CD1-9 Closer To The Heart 3:35
    CD1-10 YYZ / The Temples Of Syrinx / Tom Sawyer 9:41
    CD1-11 Vital Signs 4:56
    CD1-12 Finding My Way / In The Mood 3:35

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    It also contains a CD, featuring the following:

Grace Under Pressure Tour Soundtrack
    CD1-1 Intro 0:57
    CD1-2 The Sprit Of Radio 4:54
    CD1-3 The Enemy Within 4:48
    CD1-4 The Weapon 7:42
    CD1-5 Witch Hunt 4:41
    CD1-6 New World Man 3:59
    CD1-7 Distant Early Warning 6:11
    CD1-8 Red Sector A 5:23
    CD1-9 Closer To The Heart 3:35
    CD1-10 YYZ / The Temples Of Syrinx / Tom Sawyer 9:41
    CD1-11 Vital Signs 4:56
    CD1-12 Finding My Way / In The Mood 3:35
    Yes! Thanks for the reminder

It truly is!

Last Friday-evening, after watching the lovely movie Sing Street again (recommended for all folks who love a musical coming of age-story situated in the early '80's in Dublin) I choose Dixie Dregs Live At Montreux 1978 to close the evening in an even better mood.

^^ Bits and pieces of that DVD make up side 2 of Night of the Living Dregs.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    ^^ Bits and pieces of that DVD make up side 2 of Night of the Living Dregs.
    Although I have that CD (and the DVD) I never noticed this. Thanks for pointing out!

It's about an hour long so not a full show and some songs are shortened. But it is definitely the one I watched most in that set as it's them at a peak, I think. It has tracks like 'Limelight' which never made it onto the album of the same name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exit.....e_Left_(video)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    It's about an hour long so not a full show and some songs are shortened. But it is definitely the one I watched most in that set as it's them at a peak, I think. It has tracks like 'Limelight' which never made it onto the album of the same name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exit.....e_Left_(video)
    Isn't this the show that all those live videos came from that they used to show on MTV all the time?

Inna Zhelannaya's Winter. Former Farlanders-singer with a great band featuring Serguey Kalachev on bass.

My roommate got a 4k TV so I'm dragging out old stuff to see how good it looks, even standard res DVDs look a lot better in spots, and blu rays look amazing! The ARW Blu Ray looks like I'm in the front row of the show. However I noticed the selection of 4K UHD DVD concert videos was pretty much 0. I mean even if it was The Song Remains The Same or something, that would be awesome.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

After re-watching the first two episodes of the first series of True Detective I was in the mood for something rootsy, so I put Live: The Movie by The Walkabouts in the player, which features Live In Prague:

Personally I think The Walkabouts' Trail Of Stars is one of the proggiest albums by a non-progband, very spacy and with a lot of synths, ancient keyboards etc.

Classic Albums (my favorite)

Pink Floyd : Dark Side of the Moon
    The Doors : The Doors
    The Who - Who's Next?
    Steely Dan - Aja
    John Lennon - Plastic Ono Band

I bought a DVD rack last week. It holds over 100 DVDs. I didn't have room on one rack but may need to buy a second. Can't believe the number of DVDs I have collected!

20220517_112521.jpg

^^ One of the pitfalls of physical media. I can't remember the last time I bought a CD. My obsession has shifted to those giant CDs stuffed inside a picture, taking up far more room.

That Camel documentary..Curriculum Vitae. The bonus material is just fantastic with Latimer, Ferguson and Ward going down memory lane

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    ^^ One of the pitfalls of physical media. I can't remember the last time I bought a CD. My obsession has shifted to those giant CDs stuffed inside a picture, taking up far more room.
    I love collecting DVDs and CDs - They remind me of my youth. I'm a collector but I also watch and listen to music all the time.

That Camel documentary..Curriculum Vitae. The bonus material is just fantastic with Latimer, Ferguson and Ward going down memory lane
    I'll never forget seeing Camel and Nearfest. They were magnificent. Latimar was charismatic.

Thanks for the reminder. Watched it again after I bought it about 19 years ago. Although I have almost all Camel-albums I don't play them a lot anymore, but hearing those old tunes from Camel, Mirage, The Snow Goose, Moonmadness and Rain Dances brought back great memories of how dear this music is to me. Nice to hear how important distrubutor Bertus from The Netherlands was for the come-back with Dust And Dreams.

REUNION: UK - Live In Tokyo

There's a lot to dislike on this DVD: the awful mix, in which even the audience-noise seems to come through a tube, the amateurish film-quality, the over-the-top drumming (oké, that's a personal taste).
    But the songs and the performance are so good and since I never saw the first two line-ups live it's wonderful to hear/see these beautiful tracks performed. I'm the most impressed by Machacek's playing and Wetton's voice.

^^ I used the Izotope RX9 Music Rebalance module to make the mix sound much better. Ditto with Dixie Dregs live in Connecticut, and ELP live at Montreux.

It was not on a Friday-evening and it was no concert-DVD: I watched the movie Whiplash yesterday again. Speaking of "over-the-top"-drumming (post #97), but I love the story, the actors and of course the music.

That is fun to see, but I wish it was longer.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***