Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: My Recent DVD Haul - What's Yours?

Marillion - Brave (2002)

Eric Johnson: Live From Austin TX

There's not much talk about Johnson the last couple of years, I guess because he releases more acoustic albums. But this recording from 1988 shows what a wonderful guitar-player he is.

Jeff Beck In Japan. Great show from 1999, featuring Jennifer Batten on guitar (and guitarsynths), Randy Hope-Taylor on Bass and Steve Alexander on Drums.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Jeff Beck In Japan. Great show from 1999, featuring Jennifer Batten on guitar (and guitarsynths), Randy Hope-Taylor on Bass and Steve Alexander on Drums.
    Thanks for posting. The Jeff Beck concert I went to 10 years ago was stunningly excellent. I bought the DVD for Six Euros but the shipping was double that so I cost $24 Canadian.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I just received the Jeff Beck DVD yesterday, delivered with a signature from Canada Post. Friday is rock video night. I'll let you know what I think.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I just received the Jeff Beck DVD yesterday, delivered with a signature from Canada Post. Friday is rock video night. I'll let you know what I think.
    Cool. I have three DVD's featuring Jeff Beck, all quite different. This on (very energetic), the disc "Jeff Beck Performing This Week... Live At Ronnie Scott's" (great musicianship in a more intimate setting) and "Jeff Beck Live At The Hollywood Bowl" (a setlist which gives a fine view on his musical career and some world-known musicians - only Beth Hart's performance isn't my cup of tea).

During my last two Friday Nights DVD-sessions I watched "Kenso Live In USA At NEARfest 2005" again. Wow, what a band, what a performance, what an emotion.
    https://www.discogs.com/release/2076...so-Live-In-USA

Cool. I have three DVD's featuring Jeff Beck, all quite different. This on (very energetic), the disc "Jeff Beck Performing This Week... Live At Ronnie Scott's" (great musicianship in a more intimate setting) and "Jeff Beck Live At The Hollywood Bowl" (a setlist which gives a fine view on his musical career and some world-known musicians - only Beth Hart's performance isn't my cup of tea).

During my last two Friday Nights DVD-sessions I watched "Kenso Live In USA At NEARfest 2005" again. Wow, what a band, what a performance, what an emotion.
    https://www.discogs.com/release/2076...so-Live-In-USA
    I agree, the 1999 show was energetic. Jeff surrounds himself with amazing musicians. He is one of the best living guitarists in the world. I'm glad you own other DVDs with Beck.

Hard to believe, I was at NF for Kenso. For whatever reason, I missed the how. I heard a huge response to the show and everyone told me it was amazing after the fact (doh).

Hard to believe, I was at NF for Kenso. For whatever reason, I missed the how. I heard a huge response to the show and everyone told me it was amazing after the fact (doh).
    That must have given you some bad times I guess. Hopefully you were able to buy the DVD from Alan Benjamin (from his Advent-shop) in time.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Last night I watched the first half of Yes Live at Montreux 2003, which I bought for half-price at the Tower Records Annex at West 4th Street when they were closing down. Great show, with a nice setlist including some tracks from Magnification. Except of course for the ever-boring, IMO, Howe solo spot. Lots of energy, with Squire moving around at times!

That must have given you some bad times I guess. Hopefully you were able to buy the DVD from Alan Benjamin (from his Advent-shop) in time.
    Unfortunately, no cigar. Didn't even know there is a DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Last night I watched the first half of Yes Live at Montreux 2003, which I bought for half-price at the Tower Records Annex at West 4th Street when they were closing down. Great show, with a nice setlist including some tracks from Magnification. Except of course for the ever-boring, IMO, Howe solo spot. Lots of energy, with Squire moving around at times!
    I own that one! I'll have to spin it this weekend. The band were still vibrant at that time. I've got a ton of Yes DVDs.

I picked up a pretty cool DVD from Amazon. Progressive Rock Anthology - ELP, Caravan, Curved Air, Family, Focus, Nektar, Rick Wakeman, Barclay James Harvest, bonus - Mostly Autumn and Karnataka.

My DVD latest haul:

PROGFEST '95 - DAY ONE//DAY TWO (2 DVD) Ars Nova, White Willow, Solaris, Spock's Beard, Deus Ex Machina, Landberk

ANGLAGARD - THE BUSRIDE FROM HELL '93 (LIVE AT THE ROYAL JELLY, HOUSTON, TX, USA 12/15/93 + LIVE AT THE MARX INN, MILWAUKEE, WI, USA 12/18/93 + 1993 PICTURE GALLERY)

CAST - SINFÒNICO LIVE (LIVE AT THE TEATRO JOSÉ PEÓN CONTRERAS, MÉRIDA, YUCATÁN, MEXICO 11/1/17 AND LIVE AT THE TEATRO DEL ESTADO, MEXICALI, BAJA CALIFORNIA, MEXICO 10/26/16) (BLU-RAY) (CAST)

DISCIPLINE - LIVE 1995

GENESIS - IN CONCERT 1976 (LIVE AT THE APOLLO THEATRE, GLASGOW, SCOTLAND, UK 7/9/76 + LIVE AT BINGLEY HALL, STAFFORD, STAFFORDSHIRE, UK 7/10/76

GILMOUR, DAVID - LIVE AT THE MERMAID THEATRE, LONDON 2006
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 08-02-2022 at 07:09 PM.

What are your latest?

Last Friday I started with the 5 promotional films from the CD/DVD-set Time Honoured Ghosts by Barclay James Harvest (originally from 1975, rereleased in 2021).
    Here's one of them: One Night:

Then I watched most of the performance of Isildurs Bane on Gouveia Artrock 2004, where the band was playing a lot of the "Peter Gabriel"-influenced MIND 4: Pass.
    Here's the section Unity/The Pilot:

Other bands/musicians on the DVD/festival are/were: La Torre Dell'Alchimista, Periferia Del Mondo and Fernando Guiomar

^^ A year or 2 ago I bought the Isuldur's Bane DVD from another PE member.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Although I only saw the first couple of songs from this 158 minutes lasting DVD, I really enjoyed watching UZEB's The Last Concert again. Great how the trio perform their tense mix of jazz-rock, jazz and pop, the latter especially performed by the syn-drumpads in the acoustic drumset from Paul Brochu.

The Enemy God
    Although I only saw the first couple of songs from this 158 minutes lasting DVD, I really enjoyed watching UZEB's The Last Concert again. Great how the trio perform their tense mix of jazz-rock, jazz and pop, the latter especially performed by the syn-drumpads in the acoustic drumset from Paul Brochu.

Have quite a few Alain Caron CDs , what a phenomenal and individual voice on fretless .

I played/watched some chapters from The New Universe Music Festival 2010, released by Abstract Logix.
    When I first watched the DVD I was slightly disappointed. Not in the music, which contains fine jazzrock, but in the video-quality.
    I had expected much better images and direction. Now there's hardly a close up on Scott Kinsey's hands on the keyboards.
    Yet, great fun to hear Alex Machacek, Kinsey and Jimmy Herring. Other musicians were Wayne Krantz, Lenny White and John McLaughlin, all with an all-star band.
    Here's the trailer:

Yesterday-evening I watched Gongzilla Live In Concert And The East Village Studio (2005).
    Hansford Rowe, Bon Lozaga and Benoit Moerlen were accompanied by Gary Husband, Phil Kester and (in a couple of tracks) Chuck Garvey.
    Great performance, although I dislike the in between scenes with studio-images, interviews and impressions outside the concerthall.
    https://www.discogs.com/release/1147...Village-Studio

I watched David Gilmour, On An Island, including two Floyd tracks, Shine On and Comfortably Numb. On On Island was much better than I remembered.

I watched David Gilmour, On An Island, including two Floyd tracks, Shine On and Comfortably Numb. On On Island was much better than I remembered.
    Do you mean "Remember That Night?" Or the one in Poland? Or...something else? On an Island is just a CD, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Do you mean "Remember That Night?" Or the one in Poland? Or...something else? On an Island is just a CD, isn't it?
    It's a DVD: "Live At the Mermaid Theatre (Live BBC Radio 2). Good picture/sound.

This past year I've managed a music store that has, of all things, a fireplace with a flat screen TV mounted above it in the lobby of our lesson studio wing. I bring my DVDs to play a lot. After 6 months we watched most of mine a few times so I started to go hunting for more of them. Sometimes buying with the store in mind. That includes some more general rock choices, not just prog. Sometimes I have to be careful though. Cuss words pop up at the most unexpected times. I bought a Parliment live DVD from the 70s. I should have known better! Recently I picked up Woodstock '99 and as soon as I pop it in I see...tits! Woops! Can't watch that one at work! I shoulda known better! I hired a guy that uses torrents and he burnt 100s of shows. First day he worked he brought in a giant Rubbermaid tub of them. I felt like I was at a record show! I am currently waiting for a Pat Metheny live DVD. Here and Now I think it's called. He's good "music store" music.

^^ Somewhat related: when Yes Symphonic Live was still fairly new, the local Best Buy was playing it on all their display model televisions.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

It's a DVD: "Live At the Mermaid Theatre (Live BBC Radio 2). Good picture/sound.
    I guess I forgot they released that. On an Island has some pretty good songs. My wife didn't hate the parts of it she heard once when I was once watching Remember That Night!