Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: My Recent DVD Haul - What's Yours?

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    This past year I've managed a music store that has, of all things, a fireplace with a flat screen TV mounted above it in the lobby of our lesson studio wing. I bring my DVDs to play a lot. After 6 months we watched most of mine a few times so I started to go hunting for more of them. Sometimes buying with the store in mind. That includes some more general rock choices, not just prog. Sometimes I have to be careful though. Cuss words pop up at the most unexpected times. I bought a Parliment live DVD from the 70s. I should have known better! Recently I picked up Woodstock '99 and as soon as I pop it in I see...tits! Woops! Can't watch that one at work! I shoulda known better! I hired a guy that uses torrents and he burnt 100s of shows. First day he worked he brought in a giant Rubbermaid tub of them. I felt like I was at a record show! I am currently waiting for a Pat Metheny live DVD. Here and Now I think it's called. He's good "music store" music.
    That's too funny Sean! I have almost all prog but never think about language/etc. cause I'm at home. I did pick up a Jeff Beck DVD based on a rec here. It's really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I guess I forgot they released that. On an Island has some pretty good songs. My wife didn't hate the parts of it she heard once when I was once watching Remember That Night!
    I have to confess, it's not official.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 09-11-2022 at 06:45 PM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

The Fixx: Live At Rockpalast (1985).
    The new album, Every Five Seconds, is making a great impression on me, so I decided to go back in time and watch this oldy.

One I dug out recently was the 2002 Jethro Tull DVD Living With The Past. Although I could do without some of the post-production visual elements, I've always liked this one. The main concert has a strong set-list and some interesting things surrounding it. There's the pub reunion of the original band and a few tracks with a string quartet. Wondering what others think of this one?

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    One I dug out recently was the 2002 Jethro Tull DVD Living With The Past. Although I could do without some of the post-production visual elements, I've always liked this one. The main concert has a strong set-list and some interesting things surrounding it. There's the pub reunion of the original band and a few tracks with a string quartet. Wondering what others think of this one?
    My favourite part of that one is in the pub when Glenn Cornick shows up and he's talking to Martin Barre, asking if Clive Bunker was there. He points out with some disdain that he saw Mick Abrahams.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

That's the 25th Anniversary one. I have that too and the reunion (again in a pub!) of all the members is a great watch. Although the interviewer calling Mick Abrahams the 'Pete Best of the band' is a bit on the nose!

This 2002 one had them doing three numbers in a pub. They sounded pretty good still.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    That's the 25th Anniversary one. I have that too and the reunion (again in a pub!) of all the members is a great watch. Although the interviewer calling Mick Abrahams the 'Pete Best of the band' is a bit on the nose!

This 2002 one had them doing three numbers in a pub. They sounded pretty good still.
    Oh right, I mixed them up but have both! Yes, Cornick and Abrahams reconciled well enough to play a few old songs together. If memory serves, there's barely anyone watching the band, and those who are there are completely disinterested and talking among themselves, I guess as a tongue-in-cheek nod to how things were in the earliest days.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

^Yes it was staged to approximate that, Anderson says it was 'damned depressing' in their very early days.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    That's too funny Sean! I have almost all prog but never think about language/etc. cause I'm at home. I did pick up a Jeff Beck DVD based on a rec here. It's really nice.

I have to confess, it's not official.
    I knew the audio was around as a RoIO, but I didn't know the video was.

I don't think I've seen/heard the Mermaid Theatre one but Gilmour's Remember That Night is a great DVD. There's a fair amount of early Pink Floyd tracks in the set, and (as it turned out) one of David Bowie's last live appearances.

The Gdansk release is maybe more typical of the tour, having fewer (well, no) celebrity guests.

Just arrived yesterday, King Crimson - deja VROOOM.

A few days ago: Al di Meola, Jean-Luc Ponty and Stanley Clark. Rite of Strings live at Montreux. Awesome performance.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    A few days ago: Al di Meola, Jean-Luc Ponty and Stanley Clark. Rite of Strings live at Montreux. Awesome performance.
    I have that one. Agreed, really nice.

I bought a 2 CD/1 DVD box set from Riverside, The DVD performance was quite decent.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Steps Ahead: Live In Tokyo (DVD with also RIT Special-Lee Ritenour Live)
    Recording from 1986 and featuring a lot of pieces from Magnetic on which the band with Mike Manieri, Steve Smith and Michael Brecker (featuring Alphonso Johnson and Mike Stern) were experimenting with electronic drums and EWI + synthesized vibes.

Bill Frisell - Solos
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Interbellum - Thanks for your post on Steps Ahead. That was scorching.

Giraffe: The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, recordered during Progfest '94.
    Well, maybe not the best filmed show I have on DVD, but it sure is impressive how Kevin Gilbert, David Kerzner, Stan Cotey, Dan Hancock and Nick D'Virgilio performed this classic on stage.
    Of course this DVD is illegal, but you can buy the CD officially:

^^^Where did you buy the Giraffe DVD?
    I watch Steve Hackett's Seconds Out show from their 2022 tour. It was great to watch Steve - the keyboards were excellent.

1. Where did you buy the Giraffe DVD?
    2. I watch Steve Hackett's Seconds Out show from their 2022 tour. It was great to watch Steve - the keyboards were excellent.
    1. http://synphonicmusic.com/country/DVD.html (Greg Walker organized the festival)
    2. I'm tempting to buy that Seconds Out-set from Hackett too. Not that I have a lot of his later albums, but because I saw Genesis during that tour.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    1. http://synphonicmusic.com/country/DVD.html (Greg Walker organized the festival)
    2. I'm tempting to buy that Seconds Out-set from Hackett too. Not that I have a lot of his later albums, but because I saw Genesis during that tour.
    Thanks! I'll definitely pick it up. The Second's Out was for Wind, right. I saw both the Trick and Wind tours.

Midnight Choir: In The Shadow Of The Circus.
    Kind of Nordic Americana with Talk Talk-drummer Lee Harris and Chris Eckman from a.o. The Walkabouts.

My latest DVD Haul (well, ordered!)
    GIRAFFE
    THE LAMB LIES DOWN ON BROADWAY: PROGFEST '94
    • ALPHATAURUS
    • PRIME NUMBERS (LIVE AT THE BLOOM, MEZZAGO, MONZA E DELLA BRIANZA, ITALY 11/6/10 + LIVE AT THE TEATRO ALBATROS, GENOVA, ITALY 5/5/11 + LIVE AT THE WORLD MUSIC STUDIO, PESSANO CON BORNAGO, MILAN, ITALY 3/31/12 + LIVE AT IL GIARDINO, LUGAGNANO, VERONA, ITALY 9/29/11) (DVD + CD) (MINI LP SLEEVE) $ 27

• GABRIEL, PETER
    • THEN AND NOW (LIVE AT THE ROCKPALAST FESTIVAL AT THE GRUGAHALLE, ESSEN, GERMANY 9/15/78 + LIVE AT THE MARIENPLATZ, MUNICH, GERMANY 8/31/83
    Genesis
    DUKE REVISTED (LIVE AT THE LYCEUM BALLROOM, LONDON, UK 5/6/80 & 5/7/80)
    • KBB
    • LIVE 2005 OFFICIAL BOOTLEG
    • MAHAVISHNU ORCHESTRA
    • LIVE IN MUNICH 1972 (LIVE AT THE JAZZ NOW! FESTIVAL AT THE KONGRESS SAAL, MUNICH, GERMANY 8/17/72 + TIME IS NOW WITH GUNTER HAMPEL & JOHN MCLAUGHLIN LIVE AT THE INTERNATIONALE ESSENER SONG TAGE FESTIVAL AT THE ESSEN JUGENDZENTRUM, ESSEN, GERMANY 9/27/68 + INTERVIEW)
    • NEW TROLLS
    • VITTORIO DE SCALZI - THE NEW TROLLS STORY (LIVE WITH THE TORINO PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA 2001 + VITTORIO DE SCALZI INTERVIEW)
    • SPOCK'S BEARD
    • ROCKPALAST - MUSIC HALL, KÖLN, GERMANY 10TH APRIL 2000 (LIVE AT ROCKPALAST AT THE LIVE MUSIC HALL, KÖLN, GERMANY 4/10/00)

• SUPERTRAMP
    • LIVE AT QUEEN MARY COLLEGE 1977
    • SYLVIAN, DAVID & ROBERT FRIPP
    • LIVE IN JAPAN (LIVE AT THE NAKANO SUNPLAZA HALL, NAKANO, TOKYO, JAPAN 10/26/93)

I just received both Fairytales From The Rotten Shed and Maresnest DVDs and...neither one will play on my old blueray player! They will play on my computer that has an external superdrive. Both simply say "DVD Video" on the label. My Blueray player is probably close to 15 years old; are newer players able to cope with discs like this? Help! I'm jonesing for some big screen Cardiacs mayhem!
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Agreed, I was lucky enough to see them live as well... can't get enough of these 3 guys in any format.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    I just received both Fairytales From The Rotten Shed and Maresnest DVDs and...neither one will play on my old blueray player! They will play on my computer that has an external superdrive. Both simply say "DVD Video" on the label. My Blueray player is probably close to 15 years old; are newer players able to cope with discs like this? Help! I'm jonesing for some big screen Cardiacs mayhem!
    I think a new player will help.

^^^ My latest DVD Haul (146). About 2/3rds was in stock (next order pending). They are scheduled to arrive this Friday . I'm most looking forward to the Supertramp 1977. I saw the 1979 tour and it was amazing.

I think a new player will help.
    And so it did. Went to our one remaining non-big-box A/V store with disc in hand, and bought a Sony player as soon as I saw it would read the disc. Got it home, hooked it up, and...the TV said "mode not supported" Grr. The tv is as old as the BR player was. Tried it on a newer, smaller tv in the house, though, and voilá - it worked. So a new main tv is now on the Christmas list.

But, even though it wasn't on the bigger screen, I watched Fairytales and Maresnest back to back last night, and they are glorious!
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.