Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: My Recent DVD Haul - What's Yours?

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    And so it did. Went to our one remaining non-big-box A/V store with disc in hand, and bought a Sony player as soon as I saw it would read the disc. Got it home, hooked it up, and...the TV said "mode not supported" Grr. The tv is as old as the BR player was. Tried it on a newer, smaller tv in the house, though, and voilá - it worked. So a new main tv is now on the Christmas list.

But, even though it wasn't on the bigger screen, I watched Fairytales and Maresnest back to back last night, and they are glorious!
    I had that problem with Maresnest. Easily solved with an HDMI cable.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I received the following DVD's today - Supertramp, Alphataurus, Genesis (Duke), Mahavishnu Orchestra, Spock's Beard and New Trolls.

I'm so pumped. Supertramp for tonight.
    Queen Mary College - 1977.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I would like to highly recommend Supertramp's Queen Mary College show in 1977 on DVD. It's all prime songs, pre-Breakfast in America, in crystal clear images and excellent sound. What an incredible treat last Friday night! I also watched, Genesis Dude show that wasn't nearly clear in images but still enjoyable. On Saturday, I saw Tramp Of The Century which was a great tribute show.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 11-13-2022 at 09:33 PM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Crack The Sky: All Access
    This DVD features the concert of RoSfest 5-4-2008 and the show at New Hazlett Theater, 7-11-2008.

What's so good about this one is how tight the band is, especially when you listen to the wonderful 5.1 surround mix. And mind you, this is a large band, with 3 guitarists (sometimes even four), a bassist, drummer and keyboardplayer.

Here's the 11 minutes-clocking Zoom:

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I would like to highly recommend Supertramp's Queen Mary College show in 1977 on DVD. It's all prime songs, pre-Breakfast in America, in crystal clear images and excellent sound.
    If memory serves this was a BBC Sight And Sound In Concert. So it was broadcast on FM radio at the same time as the TV broadcast, for stereo audio. I remember about 15 years ago this and the Procol Harum one getting a shortened repeat.

The last one I watched was some of the 2003 Led Zeppelin DVD which I rate as one of the best rock music DVDs.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    If memory serves this was a BBC Sight And Sound In Concert. So it was broadcast on FM radio at the same time as the TV broadcast, for stereo audio. I remember about 15 years ago this and the Procol Harum one getting a shortened repeat.

The last one I watched was some of the 2003 Led Zeppelin DVD which I rate as one of the best rock music DVDs.
    Yes, I'm so impressed with the Queen's College Supertramp DVD. It was prior to the acrimony of the Davis/Hogson conflict so the band was gelling together nicely and the music was more powerful.

Friday's Night's DVD watching. The New Trolls' Vitto De Scolzl. This must have been a very late version of the band. Nothing like the majesty of Atomic System. Very slow. Didn't like it.

Spock's Beard V. This was a nice representation of prime SB.

The Led Zeppelin DVD - is there are more information? Is there a DVD title?

No, that's just what its called. At the time it was released alongside the How The West Was Won 3cd.

https://www.discogs.com/master/4751-Led-Zeppelin-DVD

^That's great! You gave such a glowing review that I bought it!! A bit expensive, $40 Cdn but I bet it will be worth it.

Well, I changed my habbit of a Friday-evening DVD-watch yesterday and watched the (covid) concert-film Up Close from the Dutch band Haevn.
    Their melancholic music can be compared with the quieter moments from Elbow; just like Elbow did on The Seldom Seen Kid Live At Abbey Road Haevn worked with an orchestra, while they also added a gospel-choir in a couple of songs.

We Are

Throw Me A Line

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    ^That's great! You gave such a glowing review that I bought it!! A bit expensive, $40 Cdn but I bet it will be worth it.
    I missed this post. It's one of those which is fairly expensive new (and was when I bought it in Christmas 2003) but cheap second-hand, as it sold a lot. But if you're a fan, it's one of the best examples of their live prowess as it spans their career, generally covering years that their live CDs don't.

The DVD menus where you have 'press play' and the like are worth looking at, as they actually contain more material. One of the menus even has an official release of a Mike Millard audience recording ('The Song Remains The Same'), dubbed over amateur footage of them in MSG 1977.

Friday I watched Atomlos Live from the German keyboard-player Schiller.
    His music is a kind of rocky version of New Age, with a lot of playing with the notes of one single chord. The music gets more interesting with David Gilmour-like guitarsolo's, the moments the two drummers are in the spotlights and when the singers join the band. One of them is Midge Ure b.t.w.

The DVD is part of the set Lichtblick.

^^^Cool. I'll check this out.

This past Friday, I watched Alphataurus Live Reunion (2010)

This is a super talented Italian band with their famous s/t album. They played several tunes from it. They sounded pretty great all these years later.

My latest haul:

Banco - Darwin Live - Live In Frascati

GIRAFFE - THE LAMB LIES DOWN ON BROADWAY: PROGFEST '94

GRYPHON - LIVE AT UNION CHAPEL 2016 (LIVE AT THE UNION CHAPEL, LONDON, UK 9/16/16)

ITALIAN PROGRESSIVE ROCK -

GABRIEL, PETER - THEN AND NOW (LIVE AT THE ROCKPALAST FESTIVAL AT THE GRUGAHALLE, ESSEN, GERMANY 9/15/78 + LIVE AT THE MARIENPLATZ, MUNICH, GERMANY 8/31/02) (DVD-R) $20HKBB - LIVE 2005 OFFICIAL BOOTLEG

SYLVIAN, DAVID & ROBERT FRIPP - LIVE IN JAPAN (LIVE AT THE NAKANO SUNPLAZA HALL, NAKANO, TOKYO, JAPAN 10/26/93)

Can't wait received my latest DVD package. The post I pasted above, Alphataurus Live Reunion, is the full concert and really worth checking out.

Tonight, my ritual of DVD watching and quality black hash. Tonight Mahavishnu Orchestra ready for rotation.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 12-03-2022 at 02:19 PM.

I watched a part of the 2-DVD-set Gary Husband's Force Majeure Live At The Queen Elizabeth Hall, London. Recorded in 2004 with a stellar line-up: Randy Brecker, Jerry Goodman, Elliot Mason, Jim Beard, Matthew Garrison and Arto Tunçboyanciyan.

Here's a short piece:

^^^ That's really nice Interbellum. The Mahavishnu Orchestra DVD I watched last night, had Jerry Goodman playing with ferocity and very long hair. It was prime MO but the soundtrack was synched (but in colour). They did a great job of matching the soundtrack to video. John had a double necked guitar and was sublime. The drumming was also outstanding.

Tonight, the full concert of the video below. David Sylvian and Robert Fripp - includes Trey Gunn, Pat Mastelotto and Michael Brock (essentially a semi-KC line up!). Exposure is included in the track listing! Plus 12 tunes!
    I have to mention, this will be combined with some legal black hash my best friend gave me for Christmas!

https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...9&action=click

My normal Friday night routine!

Up for Banco - Darwin Live - Live In Frascati

Does anyone else have an example to offer?

I watched a recording from RMS at the Montreux Jazz Festival 1983, featuring Simon Phillips, Mo Foster, Ray Russell and special guests Gil Evans, Mark Isham, Henry Lowther, Malcolm Gfiffiths and Ronnie Asprey. Wow, young Phillips is on fire here.

Hoover The Duvet

The Blu-Ray version of the Anderson, Rabin & Wakeman show. What amazed me was how much the Yes Album and 90125 material dominated. Which Wakeman had no hand in creating originally.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Merry Christmas. You know my routine

Tonight - King Crimson at 50 DVD box set. Looking forward to it

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    The Blu-Ray version of the Anderson, Rabin & Wakeman show. What amazed me was how much the Yes Album and 90125 material dominated. Which Wakeman had no hand in creating originally.
    Anderson and Wakeman were on fine form, but I really didn't like the arrangement of 'Awaken' played on that tour. It was also one of very few songs with down-tuning and suffered from it. With Rabin there, they might as well have played more from Big Generator/Union/Talk instead IMHO.

My old Marantz SACD/DVD-player at once stopped working, so for now no Friday-night DVD-hauls anymore. Don't know if the problem can be fixed. If not: will be hard to find a replacement that plays SACD's, DVD-A's, DVD's etc. I believe OPPO has stopped, although there are some players that might do it (Magnetar, Reavon). Any suggestions are welcome. I guess I finally have to go for a Blu-Ray multi-player.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Anderson and Wakeman were on fine form, but I really didn't like the arrangement of 'Awaken' played on that tour. It was also one of very few songs with down-tuning and suffered from it. With Rabin there, they might as well have played more from Big Generator/Union/Talk instead IMHO.
    Also when playing the obligatory Roundabout, Trevor played the top line of Howe's guitar intro as a single note lead line. Not the initial harmonics bit, but the finger picked bit which immediately follows.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    My old Marantz SACD/DVD-player at once stopped working, so for now no Friday-night DVD-hauls anymore. Don't know if the problem can be fixed. If not: will be hard to find a replacement that plays SACD's, DVD-A's, DVD's etc. I believe OPPO has stopped, although there are some players that might do it (Magnetar, Reavon). Any suggestions are welcome. I guess I finally have to go for a Blu-Ray multi-player.
    Oh, no. I always looked forward to your choices. I checked but can only see Sony written on my DVD player (it's tiny) and multi-region (all formats).

I also watched a 1978 Peter Gabriel concert recorded on German TV.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 12-24-2022 at 04:16 PM.