Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Robert Fripp-"Exposures 1977 - 1983" (25CD, 4DVD, 4Blu-Ray box set-DGM) 5/27/2022

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    As anyone received theirs from DGM US?
    Not here. Haven’t had a shipping notice yet, but that’s ok.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

My copy from DGM is shipping today.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Marsh View Post
    My copy from DGM is shipping today.
    Good to know. I'm sure mine will be shipped soon. DGM is small operation, so I'm not upset or impatient.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Good to know. I'm sure mine will be shipped soon. DGM is small operation, so I'm not upset or impatient.
    Amy said they are working on getting all of the boxes out but it is taking longer than normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Marsh View Post
    Amy said they are working on getting all of the boxes out but it is taking longer than normal.
    Correct. This mail was sent to all DGM-customers:

We are shipping all Exposures box orders as quickly as possible.

Many of you have inquired, so we wanted to send an update to all to let you know that we are working hard to get the remainder out in the next couple of days.

We also, somewhat surreptitiously (but not on purpose as such!) added two versions (CD and vinyl) of God Save The Queen/Under Heavy Manners, and Let The Power Fall. These are pre orders with an early July release.

A major sale on catalogue and merch and more coming soon, but it will not apply to new releases so you can pre order these now.

Now, back to work (us, not you!).

Happy Friday,

Enjoy the music,

The Schizoid Shop Team

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Correct. This mail was sent to all DGM-customers:
    I did not get that email. so "most" DGM-customers" not all.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    I did not get that email. so "most" DGM-customers" not all.
    Oké, sorry for the mis-information. I guess I should have written "Schizoid Shop". The browser version of the mail can be found here: https://mailchi.mp/schizoidshop.com/...k?e=d08633b09c

Looks like my "label" was created May 31......but the package didn't start moving through the shipping process till today June 4th.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

For those who:may have missed the other thread I created, my (as usual) in-depth review of the Exposures box was published today at all about jazz. As ever, it's a lengthy read, but so far has been well-received so hopefully any who are willing to invest the time will find it so as well.

You can read it here
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    And it wouldn't be a DGM ginormous box without some problem.
    After someone in the Soundscapes and Frippertronics FB group complained that the last track on CD 29 would not play, I stuck my disc #29 into the ol' Bose Acoustic Wave and it would not recognize that there was even a disc in the tray. Then I put the disc in my 1984 ADC CD-100X, and it worked just fine, and reported that the total time was 79 minutes and 17 seconds or something like that. I seem to recall that 74 minutes was the spec'ed maximum length of a CD way back when, but later players were designed to be able to handle as much as 80. Hmm. My Bose is about 20 years old and my CD player is pushing 40.
    Actually, CDs can now exceeded 80:minutes in length. Some of the Bear Family box sets have CDs that approach 85 minutes in length. They play fine on both my OPPO player and the LG Blu Ray player/ripper that hangs off of my iMac.
    John Kelman

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Yet there are those of us who are having difficulty playing that disc on some players.
    There are even more of us who are having difficulty getting their boxes delivered, but I was lucky enough to order @Wayside.

Great article!

Edit: I noticed this,
    "Häaden Two" is a quirky instrumental with bits of spoken word, in multiple languages, thrown in as well,
    What sounds like a foreign language is a clip of Graham Chapman in the Monty Python "Flying Sheep Sketch", played backwards.

"One thing is for sure, the sheep is not a creature of the air."
    Last edited by Dave (in MA); 06-05-2022 at 02:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Oké, sorry for the mis-information. I guess I should have written "Schizoid Shop". The browser version of the mail can be found here: https://mailchi.mp/schizoidshop.com/...k?e=d08633b09c
    Yep, I ordered from Schizoid Shop, but haven't heard a peep from them. Thanks for the email, I'll write them again.
    c
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Great article!

What sounds like a foreign language is a clip of Graham Chapman in the Monty Python "Flying Sheep Sketch", played backwards.

Thanks, Dave. I'll correct it sometime today, with many thanks!
    John Kelman

Great article!

Many thanks. The revised text now says:

"Häaden Two" is a quirky instrumental where bits of spoken word, culled from Monty Python Flying Circus' "Flying Sheep Sketch" and featuring the late Graham Chapman, are inserted but played in reverse. An additional moment of levity comes when what sounds like Brian Eno says: "incredibly abysmal pathetic chord sequence," in response to Fripp's jaggedly angular lines.
    Again, thanks for the catch, for the kind words about the article and for taking the time to read it!
    John Kelman

Yet there are those of us who are having difficulty playing that disc on some players.
    There are even more of us who are having difficulty getting their boxes delivered, but I was lucky enough to order @Wayside.
    I believe there were some unexpected delays in getting the box to American distributors, putting things behind by about a week (so dunno how Steve got copies on time). Heck, I still don't have my copy either (have all the CD content as Cd quality downloads, downloads of a lot of the live Frippertronics and a download of Exposure, Second Edition, but am still dying to hear the high res content).

I'll check the CD folks are having trouble with on both of my players (I actually now have a third player, a 4K Blu ray player, in our bedroom, so can test it there also), and will report back, but this will have to wait 'til I actually get my box of course. Many of the discs run in the 78-79 minute range, which is far from uncommon these days, but don't believe any of the discs exceed the 80-minute mark.I'll double check...
    John Kelman

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Isn't it possible that there's something wrong with the disk other than the length that's giving some players trouble? I'm not sure why the length is the only thing being considered here.

Superb work as usual, John.

Tiny note on the speaking voices: “I’d like to play you some of the things I’ve been working on that could be commercial” is Eno, and “Actually I don’t want to start like that ... and again, two, three, four...” is Gabriel.

Oh, and somewhat disturbing fact: “NY3” contains Fripp’s recording of an actual family argument from the apartment next door to his then home in Hell’s Kitchen- similar to his surreptitious recording of Belew recounting his run in with a street gang on “Thela Hun Ginjeet”- and is entirely real (though spliced to fit the rhythm of course) .... I doubt even Hammill and Roche could conjure those particular characters... 😃
    Last edited by SunshipVoyager1976; 06-05-2022 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Isn't it possible that there's something wrong with the disk other than the length that's giving some players trouble? I'm not sure why the length is the only thing being considered here.
    Agreed, since other discs ate in the smart vicinity, time-wise.

Here are the times of the digital versions of the CDs I received as advances. They should be the same but might be very marginally different:

CD1: 72:18
    CD2: 60:07
    CD3: 72:16
    CD4: 77:10
    CD5: 76:23
    CD6: 71:16
    CD7: 74:15
    CD8: 61:59
    CD9: 78:09
    CD10: 71:01
    CD11: 77:02
    CD12: 78:41
    CD13: 72:51
    CD14: 77:19
    CD15: 69:38
    CD16: 75:40
    CD17: 74:51
    CD18: 78:23
    CD19: 64:06
    CD20: 76:05
    CD21: 79:08
    CD29: 79:16
    CD30: 77:37
    CD31: 78:46
    CD32: 78:55

Since the disc that seems to be causing problems, CD29, is 79:16 and CDs 32, 31, 21, 12 & 9 are pretty darn close, with CD21, I particular, only 8 seconds shorter than CD29 (and the others within a minute), my suspicion is of there's a problem with CD29 it's not likely to be the length of the CD (even the last tracks on the two discs are within spitting distance in length, 21's being 10:52 and 29's 11:44, so not knowing much about CD construction, even that seems unlikely), my guess is it's something else.

Again, as soon as I get the box set in my hands I'll try CD29 on all three of my players, which are in different price ranges and ages (though none of them are older than six years old, and that might be an issue for some of you with older players), I'll let y'all know.

Sorry I can't be more help yet, but without the actual box and hard CDs, there's not much more I can offer at the moment.
    Cheers!
    John
    John Kelman

Quote Originally Posted by SunshipVoyager1976 View Post
    Superb work as usual, John.

Tiny note on the speaking voices: “I’d like to play you some of the things I’ve been working on that could be commercial” is Eno, and “Actually I don’t want to start like that ... and again, two, three, four...” is Gabriel.
    many thanks for the kind words...and the fixes......I'll get those corrected as soon as possible!

Oh, and somewhat disturbing fact: “NY3” contains Fripp’s recording of an actual family argument from the apartment next door to his then home in Hell’s Kitchen- similar to his surreptitious recording of Belew recounting his run in with a street gang on “Thela Hun Ginjeet”- and is entirely real (though spliced to fit the rhythm of course) .... I doubt even Hammill and Roche could conjure those particular characters... 😃
    Indeed! I'd read that but left it out. Maybe I'll add it, since you brought it up!
    Thanks again!
    John
    John Kelman

Oh, and somewhat disturbing fact: “NY3” contains Fripp’s recording of an actual family argument from the apartment next door to his then home in Hell’s Kitchen- similar to his surreptitious recording of Belew recounting his run in with a street gang on “Thela Hun Ginjeet”- and is entirely real (though spliced to fit the rhythm of course) .... I doubt even Hammill and Roche could conjure those particular characters... ��
    The fixes are in, as they say. Thanks again for helping make the piece as accurate as possible (thanks Dave, too, of course!j. Always happy to hear of corrections, as long as they're presented in a nice way, since try as I might, I'm not the expert on all things here, do my best to ensure accuracy but never fully achieve it so am happy to hear from folks who may well know more than I do!
    John Kelman

Glad to help.
    When I got a copy of Exposure we thought the voice in Haaden Two sounded familiar, so I manually turned the record backwards, and there it was: a clip from The Sheep Sketch.

Glad to help.
    When I got a copy of Exposure we thought the voice in Haaden Two sounded familiar, so I manually turned the record backwards, and there it was: a clip from The Sheep Sketch.
    That's too funny, as I've been revisiting Python recently....first the movies and next the shows.
    John Kelman

I'd like to hear an all-instrumental version of NY3.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    The fixes are in, as they say. Thanks again for helping make the piece as accurate as possible (thanks Dave, too, of course!j. Always happy to hear of corrections, as long as they're presented in a nice way, since try as I might, I'm not the expert on all things here, do my best to ensure accuracy but never fully achieve it so am happy to hear from folks who may well know more than I do!
    Oh, no thanks necessary at all. I was passing it along more for your interest than any other reason. But of course your journalistic integrity is going to cause you to raise the “fix hammer” 😉

I was obsessed with the album as a kid, and before reading any “official confirmation” from Fripp on what voice went to what person/source, I would compare voices from old music documentaries for attempted identification. Gabriel is pretty distinctive, Eno a bit trickier. Fripp’s Dorset burr sets him apart pretty handily. 🙂