Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Robert Fripp-"Exposures 1977 - 1983" (25CD, 4DVD, 4Blu-Ray box set-DGM) 5/27/2022

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Maybe if Wayside did contests like DGM used to do regularly? And included freebies like DGM does: Wayside coasters, 5uu's pillows, etc...
    The Fripp box has arrived, courtesy of Wayside.

It did include a branded freebie. (A Bubblemath light-up keychain doohickey.)

Disc 29 plays fine on my antiquated Onkyo.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

My Box arrived yesterday on the west Coast USA. Disc 29 plays fine on my laptop and Sony Blue-ray.

However, Disc 30 Track 20 "I May Not Have Had Enough Of Me But I've Had Enough Of You II" will not play and causes the disc to lock up!

Are we gonna need a replacement disc program?
    Last edited by Garyhead; 06-10-2022 at 10:53 AM.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I just bought a copy off Ebay for $234 USD, with shipping.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Here's an E-mail I just sent to DGM:

Greetings: This was the only email address I could find on the DGM website for help.

My "Exposures" Box Set RFBX101 arrived yesterday, June 9th.

Package was intact, no damage, All discs secured in their slots.

However, Disc #30 is defective. Specifically Track #20....the last one on the disc. The disc locks up at the end of the tune and will not eject unless the Player is turned off then turned back on.

Playback of Track #20 is spotty with audible glitches throughout and the last 5 seconds are not there.

As more data comes in as customers begin playing the discs, will there be a replacement disc program?

One thing I noticed when opening the box was a small piece of paper 1/2" x 1/2" with a handwritten E or 3 in blue ballpoint pen? unknown what that would indicate

Regards,
    Gary Thompson

I have not played the DVD's or BR's yet.....will get on that today. I loaded the 25 cd's into iTunes with my laptop.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    However, Disc #30 is defective. Specifically Track #20....the last one on the disc. The disc locks up at the end of the tune and will not eject unless the Player is turned off then turned back on.

Playback of Track #20 is spotty with audible glitches throughout and the last 5 seconds are not there.
    Just curious if you had the same trouble using multiple players, if you have more than one available. (see my prev. post about the trouble I had with disc 29)
    One thing I noticed when opening the box was a small piece of paper 1/2" x 1/2" with a handwritten E or 3 in blue ballpoint pen? unknown what that would indicate
    I found one of those in my chair one night and had no idea where it came from, but I guessed it might have fallen out of the box. I'm guessing that it's like the old "inspected by" stickers or slips of paper that you sometimes find in an article of new clothing.

My copy from DGM arrived mid-week. Everything ripped just fine, though I had to enter track names and such for Let the Power Fall. I haven't listened to much of anything yet.

I also had a tiny square of paper with a handwritten "E" or "3" on it.

Looking forward to diving in.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Is $234 a fair price for the Box, with shipping?
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 06-10-2022 at 02:02 PM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    I also had a tiny square of paper with a handwritten "E" or "3" on it.
    It keeps flying out of the box too. Has a mind of its own.

Did you try it on different players? I just checked that track and it plays through fine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    It keeps flying out of the box too. Has a mind of its own.
    I didn't save mine as far as I know.
    Did my resale value plummet?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I didn't save mine as far as I know.
    Did my resale value plummet?
    I hereby start the rumor that it's a blotter hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I hereby start the rumor that it's a blotter hit.
    Keep licking it until you can make out all the words to "First Inaugural Address to the I.A.C.E. Sherborne House".

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Keep licking it until you can make out all the words to "First Inaugural Address to the I.A.C.E. Sherborne House".
    For fun I put that in an editing program but couldn't figure out how to time stretch it from three seconds to..anywhere close to how long that address presumably was.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Is $234 a fair price for the Box, with shipping?
    I believe I pad DGM $220 with shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Marsh View Post
    I believe I pad DGM $220 with shipping.
    But Mozo’s in Canada, eh? Does DGM USA hose the hosers on shippin’?

I also paid $220.00 USD FROM DGM USA. Mozo, is that $234.00 CAD?

- Hose off, eh! Actually, it was U.S. greenbacks but I guess another $14 USD to Canada.

That's the drag about being in Canada...unless a label/online shop has a Canadian portal, we have to pay in whatever currency they deal in, and usually have to pay extra in shipping also. The only plus is buying from Europe we can usually get VAT removed. I often buy from a German online shop, jpc.de, as their prices are very good (especially once you remove VAT), and their shipping is very reasonable.

Even without tracking, box sets usually cost between €8 and €11, and arrive within 7-10 days, which is pretty reasonable. I've yet to lose a shipment from them...i just got the recent Steeleye Span box, and have preordered the Madfish Horslips box, which for 33 CDs, 2DVDs, hardback coffee table size book and paperback book and odds and ends, totals €261, or about $350 CAD, which is the cheapest price I could find anywhere, by a considerable sum.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Live footage with Fripp, NYC circa 1978

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    That's the drag about being in Canada...unless a label/online shop has a Canadian portal, we have to pay in whatever currency they deal in, and usually have to pay extra in shipping also. The only plus is buying from Europe we can usually get VAT removed. I often buy from a German online shop, jpc.de, as their prices are very good (especially once you remove VAT), and their shipping is very reasonable.

Even without tracking, box sets usually cost between €8 and €11, and arrive within 7-10 days, which is pretty reasonable. I've yet to lose a shipment from them...i just got the recent Steeleye Span box, and have preordered the Madfish Horslips box, which for 33 CDs, 2DVDs, hardback coffee table size book and paperback book and odds and ends, totals €261, or about $350 CAD, which is the cheapest price I could find anywhere, by a considerable sum.
    Thanks, John. I'll check that out.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    You who bought this box set, how do you feel about it? I'm thinking I should take the plunge, as the price is right. DGM's Frequent Flyer price is $120. There's stuff on it I'll probably listen to once, but I used to listen to most of the studio albums in this box a lot back in the day, but most I never bought on CD - in fact, I don't have any of them on CD. So if I just think of it as a really expensive box set of "Exposure," I need it! I even used to listen to League of Gentlemen a lot, which is kind of funny. And the booklet should be interesting. AND, it's helping DGM, because they must not be flying out the door.

Gary, were you ever able to try Disk 30 on another player?

You who bought this box set, how do you feel about it? I'm thinking I should take the plunge, as the price is right. DGM's Frequent Flyer price is $120. There's stuff on it I'll probably listen to once, but I used to listen to most of the studio albums in this box a lot back in the day, but most I never bought on CD - in fact, I don't have any of them on CD. So if I just think of it as a really expensive box set of "Exposure," I need it! I even used to listen to League of Gentlemen a lot, which is kind of funny. And the booklet should be interesting. AND, it's helping DGM, because they must not be flying out the door.

My advice is if you have the cash, go for it. All of your 1977-83 Fripp needs in one felled swoop (unless you want the original League Of Gentlemen album mixes and sequence which, annoyingly, isn't included in any form). Besides as recent posts to the DGM guestbook have shown, when these box sets sell out then that's it.

I've still not gone as deep as I could but so far some of my highlights are...

- A wealth of Exposure outtakes, rehearsals, alternate mixes, etc.

- The Discotronics / Eurotronics outtakes. These are really cool to listen and paint a slightly fuller picture than the two tracks which were originally released on UHM.

- League of Gentlemen live at the Paradise Club in Boston. An unedited warts-and-all soundboard show which, along with Thrang Thrang Gozinbulx which is a bit more polished, presents a good picture of the LoG live. You also get brand new mixes of their studio tracks as well as the 1985 mixes from God Save The King. Unfortunately, Minor Man is completely excluded, despite the lyrics being printed in the big book.

- Washington Square Church '81 Frippertronics show. There's a ton of interesting Frippertronics content here but this gig is the hightlight for me, so far. Partially because there is no audience noise so it flows more like a studio album and partially because you begin to hear Fripp's guitar style develop into what he was playing like in the Discipline era.

The booklet is also interesting. Sid Smith's essay is in his usual well researched style although if you've read his KC book, a lot of the information here won't be new to you. A highlight of the whole box set for me is Fripp's diary from the European LoG tour which was originally posted in Musician magazine back in the day.

Yes, I'd recommend it. In particular, the live LoG discs are quite good. However, if you have Sid's book or Prog mag subscription, then the liner notes become "haven't I read this somewhere else??"
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Thanks for the reviews! I don’t have Sid’s book, so that’s good.

Thanks for the reviews! I don’t have Sid’s book, so that’s good.
    Very worth getting Sid's book Jed. I have a signed first edition with several past members (minus Fripp).

> My advice is if you have the cash, go for it.

Oops! I did it again!

> Besides as recent posts to the DGM guestbook have shown, when these box sets sell out then that's it.

I bought Amazon’s last or next to last copy, so probably among the last copies. That’s certainly annoying that the original release of LoG isn’t included. Uncharacteristic of these sets.