Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unexpected Prog

Quote Originally Posted by FirthOf5th View Post
    Attachment 16993

Hard to see in that pic, but it’s the Genesis Foxtrot album hanging up on the wall behind Julie Andrews in the 1974 movie the Tamarind Seed.
    Cool find!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^ LOL! She must have been a total prog-head! She's still alive, so she probably follows the current prog scene. Is she supposed to be in a record store in this scene?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    ^ LOL! She must have been a total prog-head! She's still alive, so she probably follows the current prog scene. Is she supposed to be in a record store in this scene?
    Ok, I just googled "Julie Andrews prog fan" and got nothing so so much for that theory.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Ok, I just googled "Julie Andrews prog fan" and got nothing so so much for that theory.
    The Sound Of Music is all prog isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    More Krautrock, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I think it was a restaurant. There was a Charisma Records poster in the background too. Tony Stratton Smith must have had some connection.

Update: start around 53:50 and pay attention to what’s on the walls.

There you go:

TB: Omar Sharif exudes charisma, doesn’t he! He and Andrews share a palpable chemistry. I’d read somewhere that he often had affairs with his leading ladies. But because Andrews’ husband is in charge and continually present, I would expect that Sharif and Andrews did not carry on once the camera stopped rolling. So I think that adds to the romantic tension here, especially since Feodor does want to take Judith to bed and the consummation of the characters’ relationship is considerably delayed (until the third act of the movie).
    https://oforinvolvingmotionpictures....ind-seed-1974/

Imdb even has a still on the Genesis-scene: https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0072253/m.../rm1668735745/

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Nope. Only Edelweiss.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Earlier tonight I heard "Nights In White Satin" in a tv commercial for men's cologne.

The opening 5 notes of the opening title song of The Sound of Music are identical to the melody of "Nous sommes le soleil" from Yes's TFTO.
    What we feel we have to solve is why the dregs have not dissolved.

Quote Originally Posted by Batchman View Post
    The opening 5 notes of the opening title song of The Sound of Music are identical to the melody of "Nous sommes le soleil" from Yes's TFTO.
    I’m getting sick of people pre-emptively ripping off Yes before they even had a chance to form the band! Disgusting.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

I think we can all agree it would have been a better movie if they had nixed Julie Andrews and cast Jon Anderson in a nice frock, anyway.

Climb every mountain that comes out of the sky and stands there.

“Tomorrow belongs to me…” (Don’t have to change it - sounds like Jon mumbo jumbo!)
    “I Am 70, Going on 80”
    “How Do You Solve a Problem Like Jon Anderson?” (Sung right before the Von Trapp family abandons him because of his respiratory illness)

I'm in a sports pub, and an ELP song came on the house music......In The Beginning. It's all clear.

Last night I watched the Nicolas Cage movie Mandy and the opening song was King Crimson’s Starless.

Quote Originally Posted by KevMo50 View Post
    Last night I watched the Nicolas Cage movie Mandy and the opening song was King Crimson’s Starless.
    Yeah, that was a real shocker! (I believe there was a thread on this subject some years ago.) Dark revenge-movie!

"I've Seen All Good People" at the beginning of the premiere of the new season of Fargo.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    "I've Seen All Good People" at the beginning of the premiere of the new season of Fargo.
    Just about the post the same thing. The episode was awesome.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

^^ The second episode of Fargo, immediately following the first featured Working Man. Albeit from one of Rush's least proggy albums....their self titled debut.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Based on my observations, solo Phil Collins and later Genesis (eponymous album through We Can't Dance) is the "artist" I hear most often in supermarkets. I think I hear Phil's voice in a supermarket about once every ten days. I consider that Progress!

^^ The band did spend substantial time at the top of the charts in the 80s. With a brief respite, when ironically Peter Gabriel's So knocked them out of number 1.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Has this been mentioned yet? It seems Sherman Hemsley really was a big prog fan in real life:

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Adverts for a betting website Sky Vegas use the same tune as Arzachel "Queen St. Gang":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45q1j8r3UT4

Quote Originally Posted by Progtastic View Post
    Adverts for a betting website Sky Vegas use the same tune as Arzachel "Queen St. Gang":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45q1j8r3UT4
    It's the same tune all right. But according to the YT comments, the actual music is something called "Funky Fanfare" by Keith Mansfield.

Wikipedia sez:

Mansfield is probably best known by American audiences as the composer of the tune "Funky Fanfare", used for underscoring in the Astro Daters series of snipes produced by the National Screen Service in the late 1960s. That song is currently used during the opening credits of the show Pit Boss on Animal Planet, as well as backing music for the "Quick Hits" segment on the Sklarbro Country podcast. Mansfield also composed the brass tune "Superstar Fanfare", which was notably used (in several variations) by Channel Television in the Channel Islands, RTL plus's news programme 7 vor 7, Worldvision Enterprises, and by the Services Sound and Vision Corporation (SSVC) as a idents jingle for British Forces TV in West Germany, Berlin, Cyprus, The Falkland Islands and Gibraltar in the 1980s and 1990s.

Seems there is some "appropriation" involved that should be looked into...
    What we feel we have to solve is why the dregs have not dissolved.