Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Giant Of Comics Art Has Left Us

Re: Batman--I heard Gotham Central was pretty good, tho I haven't read it yet. I generally like Brubaker's scripts.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Re: Batman--I heard Gotham Central was pretty good, tho I haven't read it yet. I generally like Brubaker's scripts.
    Gotham Central was excellent, but not really a Batman comic. It was a "police procedural" set in Gotham, with Batman making a couple of brief cameos throughout the series. I think the whole series is available in a single "omnibus" edition now.

Ok, I'll check into it Brad

Tim Sale died.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Tim Sale died.
    Bummer. His work on Grendel brought new life to a franchise that was beginning to drag a bit...
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Tim Sale died.
    Oh no! :-(

I guess I will bust out The Long Halloween to peruse after I am done with Crisis on Infinite Earths and Avengers Forever.

Plus I think I have some of his Heroes (TV show) art too....

RIP TS!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Someone on Reddit recommended to me a graphic novel by Charles Burns called Black Hole, but upon checking ebay, this is actually a series of graphic novels. Does anyone here have any knowledge about this series, particularly how many volumes there are in total, and an opinion on the storyline?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Someone on Reddit recommended to me a graphic novel by Charles Burns called Black Hole, but upon checking ebay, this is actually a series of graphic novels. Does anyone here have any knowledge about this series, particularly how many volumes there are in total, and an opinion on the storyline?
    I don't know it, but it looks like it was a 12-issue mini-series collected into a single trade paperback or hardcover edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad 2 the Bone View Post
    I don't know it, but it looks like it was a 12-issue mini-series collected into a single trade paperback or hardcover edition.
    Thanks. I looked at ebay again after posting, and did notice a hardcover edition, 368 pages long. It was a little over $14, with free shipping. That was low enough for a flyer, so I ordered it. The reviews are pretty glowing.

I concur Black Hole is an extraordinary work. I've loved Charles Burns' art since first seeing it in Death Rattle. I think you'll love it.

RIP Tom Palmer. He was 81.

IMO, he was a real strongman of the comics medium. He's known as a finisher, and one of the most prolific, but he was an awesome artist in his own right. But his speed and proficiency allowed him to ink a number of the greats — John Buscema, Neal Adams, Gene Colan, Jackson "Butch" Guice, John Byrne, and so on — across many titles and issues, on a schedule. Dare I say, he made them look better. Palmer was easily the best inker for Colan, which he ably demonstrated on Tomb of Dracula.

Here's a page of pencils by Guice, inked by Palmer, for Winter Soldier.

gallery_guicejacksonbutch-wintersoldier5pg17pencils.jpggallery_guicejacksonbutchpalmertom-wintersoldier5pg17.jpg