Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bent Knee finished as a touring band?

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    GIT OFF MY LAWN! YMMV
    When Steve F. would post this I always thought it meant You Make Me Vomit
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

^

Post of the Year candidate.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    When Steve F. would post this I always thought it meant You Make Me Vomit
    I'm fairly sure he does mean that, at least on some occasions.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

But aren't they appealing to a Generation that believes all music should be Free? A Generation that saw Music & The Arts Disappear in their schools to be replaced by Test-Taking-Tutorial Classes to be competent Cubicle-Workers? And granted, the Music Corporations that supported these Band Touring Machines have been replaced by the Computer Game Industry. Look! We now have Grammy's for Computer Game Soundtracks and awards for a guy who invented auto-tune!
    Yes. And we also have DJs hailed as brilliants for even knowing what to choose from depots of the past to place on their playlists with "care for particular sensibilities of continuation and sequence". It's like awarding the person holding the signal gun next to the track instead of recognizing the runners.

And we've got the CGI-formatted/enfetted universe of Marvel and Disney to redefine notions of what to expect and demand from "movies", whereby a fictional character with the slightest sinister ramifications can't possibly be allowed to emerge as sympathetic come meticulous logic as to how this implies sinister root in whoever may have written it. Are evils supposed to be allowed to exist? Evils submitted to decided definitions sought by my order of identity? There might have existed a thing called "movie" in the long-gone nonsense of yore as well, but these can't seriously be expected to be either seen, appreciated or to serve as inspiration nowadays or on.

Peckinpah would truly stand the chance of feathers in a furnace. Crin Klingsom too. "Ate all the meat I gave her?"
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Yes. And we also have DJs hailed as brilliants for even knowing what to choose from depots of the past to place on their playlists with "care for particular sensibilities of continuation and sequence". It's like awarding the person holding the signal gun next to the track instead of recognizing the runners.
    Okay, that is a fantastic analogy.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I appreciate the sacrifice and I support it to the extent that I, as an individual music lover, can.
    When people like me ( us ) stop doing that. Well. we had better get used to AI created music ( for a fee ) because that's all we will get.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    I appreciate the sacrifice and I support it to the extent that I, as an individual music lover, can.
    When people like me ( us ) stop doing that. Well. we had better get used to AI created music ( for a fee ) because that's all we will get.
    Totally agree. Even when Mariusz Duda calls us old geezers out for sitting at a Riverside club date* or Steven Wilson.

*Crocodile Club, Seattle 2019
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Totally agree. Even when Mariusz Duda calls us old geezers out for sitting at a Riverside club date* or Steven Wilson.

*Crocodile Club, Seattle 2019
    MD also gave people a hard time in Toronto a few tours back, for liking that complicated prog stuff, and even took a verbal swing at Rush. Didn't exactly go over that well in Toronto, lol.

Neil

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Speaking of AI, today I heard someone mention that storyboarding for movies, etc. is something that could easily be done by AI with instructions from the scriptwriter (if there IS a scriptwriter). Goodbye, storyboard artists! I have no idea if there are many (any?) people actually employed as storyboard artists, but if there are, this does seem like a position that could be replaced.

Anyway, that's another conversation, but I just thought it was a good example of what a lot of people are talking about these days.

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    MD also gave people a hard time in Toronto a few tours back, for liking that complicated prog stuff, and even took a verbal swing at Rush. Didn't exactly go over that well in Toronto, lol.

Neil
    Ok, what did he say about Rush? Hold me back, Duncan!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post

Ok, what did he say about Rush? Hold me back, Duncan!
    I don't remember exactly, but basically along the lines of 'you don't want to hear any of that overly complicated prog music here do you? Like that early Rush stuff?'

Something like that. Anyways, the attempt at humour was met with stone cold silence and Torontonians looking at each other like: 'did he just really say that...in Toronto?!'. Anyways, the show just continued on. They were good that night, but it did seem a strange thing to say, in a bands home town.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I'm not sure that's as easy as you think. For one, a DJ performing as a live entertainer needs to gauge the mood of the crowd and - on the fly - pull and spin records that both echo that mood and flow smoothly into one another. And a DJ involved in making a record needs an ear for what disparate samples will work together and sound "right" in combination, and the technological skill to superimpose them. It's like being a collage artist or junk sculptor - you may not need to know how to draw or paint or work clay or chip stone to be one, but you still do need an artistic eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    I'm not sure that's as easy as you think.
    John, I never said or even thought that it's easy to be a good DJ - that's not the logical point here. Rather it's about to whom an address of acclaim should rest in an audience's perception of the sonic generated. Granted they are two fundamentally disparate traits - sonic conjured or created vs. sonic adapted.

And there's -nothing- whatsoever wrong with the latter, IMO. DJs are artists too; sometimes great, often not so.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

On Bandcamp, too:

https://bentknee.bandcamp.com/track/lawnmower

Lat album was not for me. This single feels different, but I’m not quite sold. Always willing to get back on that train, though.
    Last edited by polmico; 05-16-2023 at 04:27 PM.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I'll certainly check the album out when available but similarly I skipped the last one.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

That’s a pretty extensive tour!

https://www.bentkneemusic.com/tour

Cat’s Cradle is a pretty nice venue …
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    May go see them.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

They haven't been to Toronto in awhile, so I'll probably check them out. Three days after the Aristocrats at the same venue.

Neil

Darn, I have another show the night they are in DC. I'm not super sold on the new arrangements, but they do not lack energy.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain