Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bent Knee finished as a touring band?

Bent Knee finished as a touring band?

I don't intend that subject line as 'click-bait'. I'm thinking out loud because of a comment Ben Levin made on this video (which is a very interesting watch BTW) :

'Thank you for beautifully articulating what I’ve been feeling about touring for a while. I’m retiring from touring this year after over a decade of “just sleep in the van,” and I will miss the glory, but damn am I relieved at the thought of living a quieter life.'

He's retiring from touring? That would almost certainly spell the end of Bent Knee, as a live act anyway. Am I reading too much into that comment? It does seem fairly cut and dry, but it's hardly a formal announcement either.

Either way, it's tough out there for bands trying to earn a living.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

>> He's retiring from touring? That would almost certainly spell the end of Bent Knee, as a live act anyway.

"Touring" and "Playing Live" aren't exactly the same thing. Not touring doesn't rule out live gigs.

Oh - and the video is great, watched it yesterday.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Wondering if this means

They continue with a new guitarist?
    They are a studio only band?
    They only play locally?
    They break up?
    What about Jessica?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

Quote Originally Posted by stickman393 View Post
    "Touring" and "Playing Live" aren't exactly the same thing. Not touring doesn't rule out live gigs.
    True, that's more accurate, although as far as a lot of fans are concerned, it might as well be the same thing. Speaking for myself, I don't travel great distances to see bands.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Wondering if this means

They continue with a new guitarist?
    They are a studio only band?
    They only play locally?
    They break up?
    What about Jessica?
    I can't imagine a new guitarist, Ben is too integral I'd think. The rest would be up in the air, I suppose. They're playing some shows next month, I'll be curious to see if they announce anything or if Ben was just speaking out of frustration and rethinks his stance.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

It might be a matter of becoming more selective about tours - not going out unless they have a couple of festival gigs to anchor the tour, or not going such long distances, or only going out if they can wangle a slot as the opener for another act with a better draw.

Although there's also gotten to be more of a disconnect between Bent Knee on record and Bent Knee live. They're a great live band. But on record, they've become so produced as to sound like a Vince Welch demo reel for potential production jobs outside Bent Knee: songs clipped down to a simplified, hook-laden minimum, the band reduced to a colorful-yet-understated backing for Courtney's voice, and every imaginable studio effect drenched over the top. From what they've said, that process so overwhelmingly transforms the songs that when they rehearse for a tour, they actually need to re-construct live versions of them from scratch.
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 05-04-2022 at 08:05 PM.

The Ben Levin comment jumped out at me like a safe falling out of a building.

The pandemic has re-written just about every business model and touring musicians are going to feel this for a long time.

If you took Sungazer's example in the video and brought it back to the before-times they would have had a lot less red ink and probably the fortitude to soldier on.

In the current times i have been to a lot of live shows and have been very fortunate to see some acts who were later sidelined by infections. I find it to be an amazing feat when a band successfully completes a tour and doesn't have any cancellations or absent band members.

I guess the takeaway is that it's always been a rough go for the smaller bands we love and it's a helluva a lot worse, i hope things improve for everybody, and soon.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I'll see what I can find out from Courtney, seeing as I'm one of her Patrons and all! I hope Ben's feelings have been tempered some since he said that. (I've watched some of this video, but I need to finish watching it.)

I bet most of those people saying sleep in the van - or saying they're somehow weak or wussies - I'd love to see them tour and play pro music every night - until you live in their shoes - shut yer face. Pain is inevitable - suffering is optional. No good musician should be sleeping in a van but I guess this paradigm these days makes life a monster sometimes. Having poor sleep is just bad all around and WILL catch up.
    Artist formerly known as Phlakaton

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchentootz View Post
    I bet most of those people saying sleep in the van - or saying they're somehow weak or wussies - I'd love to see them tour and play pro music every night - until you live in their shoes - shut yer face. Pain is inevitable - suffering is optional. No good musician should be sleeping in a van but I guess this paradigm these days makes life a monster sometimes. Having poor sleep is just bad all around and WILL catch up.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I'll see what I can find out from Courtney, seeing as I'm one of her Patrons and all! I hope Ben's feelings have been tempered some since he said that. (I've watched some of this video, but I need to finish watching it.)
    Spoiler Alert:

They broke even. It would have been interesting if they would have included some more information about what they took in with tix sales, merch ect to help give a fuller picture.

The fact remains it was never easy for smaller, indy bands to make it on the road, and complicated much further in the new world order.

Here's what I heard back from Courtney. It doesn't really add anything to what we know.:

Hey Jed, I was just watching that video last night! It's really interesting. Ben shared with us that he doesn't want to tour anymore a few months ago, and I'm glad that he said something and that he's taking care of his needs! I don't think Ben is against playing shows in general, but either way we're not yet sure what kind of shape the band will take moving forward.

^On a first name basis. Very impressive, Jed! Thanks for sharing.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Touring has its very specific joys, but it's like going into battle every time.

As somebody who has played 1000 shows in over 200 cities in 24 different countries... there's no way I could have personally withstood all the physical abuse, emotional drainage, and financial disasters without having a day job that had no problem with me disappearing as much as 4 months every year to music stuff.

I get the feeling 99% of touring bands are part of a great delusion, lying to themselves and others how great things are going in order to seem successful, when in reality one mishap - broken down van, stolen gear, booker reneging on a guarantee, or simply not enough people showing up this time around - can end their entire career instantly. Eventually you get tired of playing Russian roulette and ask yourself if getting your music out there is worth it.

That 1% though - they're having a great time, running a solid business, are pretty financially secure, and making it all seem a lot easier than it actually is.

I fault nobody for wanting to quit playing live music at all. Such proclamations never surprise me. If the stars align I may be out there again someday but the pandemic had a silver lining in that regard - personally I needed a break.

- Matt

Hello friends. Normally our social media is just a shameless outlet for promoting our tours and albums, but today we have an important announcement to bring you. Ben and Jess will be leaving the band after this summer. There is no animosity or ill-will involved. Everyone is still friends. The reason they’re leaving is as simple as a reason can be in such a case. Some of you reading this are touring musicians, but most of you aren’t. What those in the latter category might not know, is that sometimes touring really sucks. Don’t get us wrong, going on tour is also one of the most rewarding things a person can do, but it’s a hard life, and it can wear people down. After 10+ years of grinding it out on the road, Ben and Jess have made the very reasonable decision that they would prefer not to do it anymore. We will miss them greatly.

We want you all to know that even though Ben and Jessica will no longer be with us, the band will continue to tour and make albums nonetheless. The remaining four of us still believe we have something to say as Bent Knee. We look forward to seeing you in June and beyond.

-Bent Knee

PS If you want to see Ben and Jess play with Bent Knee one last time, please buy tickets to our upcoming tour! Looks like we still managed to stick a little shameless self-promotion in there after all ��

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Not a surprise
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

At least I got to see them a few times.
    Good memories.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Not a surprise
    Nope, as they say these guys have been grinding it out for years on the small club circuit. It has to be a rough life. I am glad to see the band will continue though.

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    At least I got to see them a few times.
    Good memories.
    Same here - had a nice hang out too - great peoples! Cardiacs talk with Gavin
    Artist formerly known as Phlakaton

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Nope, as they say these guys have been grinding it out for years on the small club circuit. It has to be a rough life. I am glad to see the band will continue though.
    I wonder if Covid hadn't happened things would be different for them? That 2021/22 tour must have been tougher than a normal tour.

I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Oooo! I would drive to Baltimore for this.
    Any NoVa peeps interested?
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

From the pictures on their Facebook, it looks like Courtney will also be playing bass, Chris will also be playing guitar, Vince will also be playing guitar, and everybody will be playing keyboards.

Ticket procured.
    -- Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by Lebofsky View Post
    As somebody who has played 1000 shows in over 200 cities in 24 different countries... there's no way I could have personally withstood all the physical abuse, emotional drainage, and financial disasters without having a day job that had no problem with me disappearing as much as 4 months every year to music stuff.

I get the feeling 99% of touring bands are part of a great delusion, lying to themselves and others how great things are going in order to seem successful, when in reality one mishap - broken down van, stolen gear, booker reneging on a guarantee, or simply not enough people showing up this time around - can end their entire career instantly. Eventually you get tired of playing Russian roulette and ask yourself if getting your music out there is worth it. [...]

I fault nobody for wanting to quit playing live music at all. Such proclamations never surprise me. If the stars align I may be out there again someday but the pandemic had a silver lining in that regard - personally I needed a break.

- Matt
    Thanks for this post, Matt. I've heard that essence so many times from acquaintances, but no where this skinlessly articulated.

These are evidently quite dreadful times for the wannabe-fulltime musician in the non-mainstream; it's as if something wouldn't want for them to be able to go through with their craft. And "leisure-letting" dayjobs are exceptionally hard to come by - anywhere. With the sorts of music you're ostly into yourself, I'd bet a lot of fixture goes into rehearsal as well.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Thanks for this post, Matt. I've heard that essence so many times from acquaintances, but no where this skinlessly articulated.

These are evidently quite dreadful times for the wannabe-fulltime musician in the non-mainstream; it's as if something wouldn't want for them to be able to go through with their craft. And "leisure-letting" dayjobs are exceptionally hard to come by - anywhere. With the sorts of music you're ostly into yourself, I'd bet a lot of fixture goes into rehearsal as well.
    But aren't they appealing to a Generation that believes all music should be Free? A Generation that saw Music & The Arts Disappear in their schools to be replaced by Test-Taking-Tutorial Classes to be competent Cubicle-Workers? And granted, the Music Corporations that supported these Band Touring Machines have been replaced by the Computer Game Industry. Look! We now have Grammy's for Computer Game Soundtracks and awards for a guy who invented auto-tune!

And..........GIT OFF MY LAWN! YMMV, IMHO, FFS
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga