Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: First Flower King Remasters Out Today

^^^^^^^

Yes, the intentional use of vinyl noise makes sense given the lyrical context.

Izotope has a VST plugin for adding vinyl noise as a sound effect. Which they give away for free.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

And...time to move on already.

The reissue of Unfold the Future has just been announced for December 16.

PS
    Qobuz has it for preorder in 16/44.1 only. I'm hoping HDTracks will have it in hi res.
    Last edited by Soc Prof; 10-14-2022 at 04:13 PM.

Concerning this UTF release:

Roine: "It is just cleaner - better mix - less swamping compression - and with automation mixes these days the levels of instruments are better balanced. Dynamics better - since less compression. ALL songs remastered from original tapes - but about 50% also remixed."
    <sig out of order>

The vinyl Rainmaker sounded pretty good! I listened to it the other night.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    The vinyl Rainmaker sounded pretty good! I listened to it the other night.
    My son listened to it and felt that it had a different, darker vibe than he remembered the original having. Not sure I picked up on that. I thought it sounded good though. I hadn't heard it in a long time. One thing it (and spinning the Space Revolver remaster) put in perspective for me is what I would call the maturity and strength of the last couple albums. Most everything on the latest albums meshes together in a surprisingly organic way. On the earlier albums certain elements are more in-your-face (almost clumsy or forced) and experimental. Not always a bad thing, but...there is a certain mastery on display in the later years.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    My son listened to it and felt that it had a different, darker vibe than he remembered the original having. Not sure I picked up on that. I thought it sounded good though. I hadn't heard it in a long time. One thing it (and spinning the Space Revolver remaster) put in perspective for me is what I would call the maturity and strength of the last couple albums. Most everything on the latest albums meshes together in a surprisingly organic way. On the earlier albums certain elements are more in-your-face (almost clumsy or forced) and experimental. Not always a bad thing, but...there is a certain mastery on display in the later years.
    Interesting about the new mix having a darker vibe. I didn't pick up on that either, but I will be listening again for sure.

And I think you hit the nail on the head about their more recent albums displaying an advanced level of composition and/or arrangement. They do sound more masterful than those early albums. As much as I love their stuff from back then, I also really enjoy their newer output. By Royal Decree has a degree of finesse (IMO) that only comes from years of experience.

Interesting about the new mix having a darker vibe. I didn't pick up on that either, but I will be listening again for sure.

And I think you hit the nail on the head about their more recent albums displaying an advanced level of composition and/or arrangement. They do sound more masterful than those early albums. As much as I love their stuff from back then, I also really enjoy their newer output. By Royal Decree has a degree of finesse (IMO) that only comes from years of experience.
    I was wondering what I should listen to today for my work drive (45 minutes) and perhaps it's time to spin Rainmaker?

Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    I was wondering what I should listen to today for my work drive (45 minutes) and perhaps it's time to spin Rainmaker?
    Hey man, did you do it?

I listened to Rainmaker again last night, and I still really dig that album. Doesn't quite hit the heights of their pinnacle works for me, but tracks like "City of Angels" and "Serious Dreamers" are excellent and still rank among my fav TFK tunes.

Hey man, did you do it?

I listened to Rainmaker again last night, and I still really dig that album. Doesn't quite hit the heights of their pinnacle works for me, but tracks like "City of Angels" and "Serious Dreamers" are excellent and still rank among my fav TFK tunes.
    I did and it's awesome

Hey man, did you do it?

I've always dug those tunes. Saw this tour waaaaaay back in 2001...actually a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    I did and it's awesome
    Woohoo! I'm glad.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I've always dug those tunes. Saw this tour waaaaaay back in 2001...actually a few times.
    Wow man... I'm a bit jealous -- I didn't see TFK until 2008, and that was the only time I got to see them. Chatted with Tomas Bodin for several minutes after the show, and he was super nice and cool. I do miss him in the current lineup...

Where did you see them at, if you recall? And did they play any stuff from Space Revolver?

"Serious Dreamers" is one of the coolest songs they ever did IMO. Sorta like a Steely Dan meets Yes vibe going on there.

The Rainmaker Hi-Res Download sounds good. But Space Revolver has a little bit more of the open, transparent sound I expect to hear in 24/96 Hi-Res. My favorite Rainmaker track has always been the opener, Last Minute on Earth Hasse's vocal are quite powerful.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Nice. I'm looking forward to hearing the Space Revolver vinyl copy that I have sitting unopened at home. Maybe I'll spin it tonight!

Wow man... I'm a bit jealous -- I didn't see TFK until 2008, and that was the only time I got to see them. Chatted with Tomas Bodin for several minutes after the show, and he was super nice and cool. I do miss him in the current lineup...

Where did you see them at, if you recall? And did they play any stuff from Space Revolver?
    I know the question was to Frankie, but I'm sure I'll make you VERY jealous with the list of FK gigs I attended -

Islington Assembly Hall, London (GB) - Dec 9, 2018
    La Machine du Moulin Rouge, Paris (FR) - Dec 6, 2018
    Le Trabendo, Paris (FR) - May 6, 2014
    Ninkasi Kao, Lyon (FR) - Apr 30, 2014
    Centre Culturel, Soignies (BE) - Apr 26, 2014
    Electric Ballroom, London (GB) - Mar 7, 2013
    Le Trabendo, Paris (FR) - Mar 4, 2013
    Le Divan du Monde, Paris (FR) - Sep 16, 2012
    La Locomotive, Paris (FR) - Nov 25, 2007
    La Locomotive, Paris (FR) - Apr 16, 2006
    Teatro Del Estado, Mexicali (Mexico) - Mar 8, 2006
    Patriots Theater, Trenton (US) - Jun 28, 2003
    Le Divan du Monde, Paris (FR) - Nov 27, 2002
    Le Divan du Monde, Paris (FR) - Oct 19, 2001
    Théâtre Dunois, Paris (FR) - Apr 10, 1999
    Théâtre Dunois, Paris (FR) - Oct 18, 1997
    Berns Salonger, Stockholm (SE) - Jul 26, 1996
    Die Röhre, Stuttgart (DE) - Jun 23, 1995
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    I know the question was to Frankie, but I'm sure I'll make you VERY jealous with the list of FK gigs I attended -

La Machine du Moulin Rouge, Paris (FR) - Dec 6, 2018
    Le Trabendo, Paris (FR) - May 6, 2014
    Ninkasi Kao, Lyon (FR) - Apr 30, 2014
    Centre Culturel, Soignies (BE) - Apr 26, 2014
    Electric Ballroom, London (GB) - Mar 7, 2013
    Le Trabendo, Paris (FR) - Mar 4, 2013
    Le Divan du Monde, Paris (FR) - Sep 16, 2012
    La Locomotive, Paris (FR) - Nov 25, 2007
    La Locomotive, Paris (FR) - Apr 16, 2006
    Teatro Del Estado, Mexicali (Mexico) - Mar 8, 2006
    Patriots Theater, Trenton (US) - Jun 28, 2003
    Le Divan du Monde, Paris (FR) - Nov 27, 2002
    Le Divan du Monde, Paris (FR) - Oct 19, 2001
    Théâtre Dunois, Paris (FR) - Apr 10, 1999
    Théâtre Dunois, Paris (FR) - Oct 18, 1997
    Berns Salonger, Stockholm (SE) - Jul 26, 1996
    I'm more jealous that you live in Paris.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Hey man, did you do it?

I previously replied after listening to the first half

I think Rainmaker is fantastic from track 1- 5
    And then it kinda loses steam after that, but that's already 45 minutes of awesomeness.
    Sometimes I think they should go the "less is more" way of thinking, but that's not in their DNA

Woohoo! I'm glad.

"Serious Dreamers" is one of the coolest songs they ever did IMO. Sorta like a Steely Dan meets Yes vibe going on there.
    Great tune - agreed! Its one that is very crankable at crazy volumes.

We saw them right before 9/11 in NJ....Piscataway maybe? I have/had a great boot of that show too - Garden of Dreams was smokin'! I saw them after that too, same tour, I just can't remember where? NYC probably? I was living on Long Island during that time.

After Nearest 2003 (saw them there too - with Hasse Bruniusson on percussion and Daniel Gildenlow!), my old band Frogg Cafe did a gig with them at the Tribeca Grand Hotel in Soho/Tribeca (now The Roxy or something?) . Really fun, Roine was watching the whole time in the back ,and Hasse Fröberg asked to use my amp....I can't remember why? Its my Mesa Boogie DC-5 that I still have and love. He sounded great on it that night. Great times....I can't believe that was over 20 years ago....unreal.

We saw them right before 9/11 in NJ....
    We saw them on 9/12 in Cincinnati. Pretty sparse crowd, as no one really felt like partying. The TV screens around the venue were replaying the towers falling all throughout the show on a loop, it seemed. Absolutely surreal.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Saw the '01 tour in Burlington VT, the infamous "Judas Kiss" show. Guy, were you among the 30 there?

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Saw the '01 tour in Burlington VT, the infamous "Judas Kiss" show. Guy, were you among the 30 there?
    I was not yet aware of TFK's existence at that point, so I could only be bummed out a couple years later when I discovered they'd played in my home state. Apparently they never got paid for that show. Is that what you mean by Judas Kiss?

My first time seeing them was in 2003 in Lowell, MA on the UTF tour. We got there a bit late so most of the tables were taken and we ended up at a table to one side of the band. Zoltan stopped by our table on his way to the stage and asked if he could have our ash tray. Amazing show. My son still doesn't forgive me for not bringing him, especially since we had a perfect view of everything Zoltan, his drumming hero, was doing.
    Last edited by Plasmatopia; 10-24-2022 at 08:17 AM.
    <sig out of order>

I have seen The Flower Kings live once. In 2009 (Helsinki). I was surprised how little I enjoyed the experience. The singer (don't remember who he was) was very annoying.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    I have seen The Flower Kings live once. In 2009 (Helsinki). I was surprised how little I enjoyed the experience. The singer (don't remember who he was) was very annoying.
    So how many T-shirts did you buy?

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post

[...]

That must have been interesting to see them so much over the years and to follow their evolution as a band.

Great tune - agreed! Its one that is very crankable at crazy volumes.

We saw them right before 9/11 in NJ....Piscataway maybe? I have/had a great boot of that show too - Garden of Dreams was smokin'! I saw them after that too, same tour, I just can't remember where? NYC probably? I was living on Long Island during that time.

After Nearest 2003 (saw them there too - with Hasse Bruniusson on percussion and Daniel Gildenlow!), my old band Frogg Cafe did a gig with them at the Tribeca Grand Hotel in Soho/Tribeca (now The Roxy or something?) . Really fun, Roine was watching the whole time in the back ,and Hasse Fröberg asked to use my amp....I can't remember why? Its my Mesa Boogie DC-5 that I still have and love. He sounded great on it that night. Great times....I can't believe that was over 20 years ago....unreal.
    Crazy, man... Getting to see Garden of Dreams live, that would be a treat.

Thanks for sharing that anecdote about the show you and Frogg Cafe did with them, and the bits about Hasse and Roine. That's really cool. They were both really gracious when I met them in 2008, even though they must have been tired from traveling and performing.

^ Definitely cool cats. Jonas is also a very good guy and I enjoyed a nice conversation about music in Sweden (in a general sense) during breakfast at NF in the hotel.