Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: First Flower King Remasters Out Today

BTW has anybody noticed that in Stardust we Are, around 10:32 you can hear the (slightly modified) main motif from A Pilgrim's Inn?
    NG ~ BC ~ PA
    “Pointing out the problem doesn't make it go away!” —Mr. Enter

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    So how many T-shirts did you buy?
    I am too serious to buy stupid band T-shirts.

(Seriously, I don't wear band shirts.)
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

^^ I must be really stupid. I have a whole closet full of band shirts, including one from TFK.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    ^^ I must be really stupid. I have a whole closet full of band shirts, including one from TFK.
    I've still got their "Tour of No Evil" t-shirt from when I saw them at 3RP in 2008. The one with the fish car on it.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I was not yet aware of TFK's existence at that point, so I could only be bummed out a couple years later when I discovered they'd played in my home state. Apparently they never got paid for that show. Is that what you mean by Judas Kiss?

My first time seeing them was in 2003 in Lowell, MA on the UTF tour. We got there a bit late so most of the tables were taken and we ended up at a table to one side of the band. Zoltan stopped by our table on his way to the stage and asked if he could have our ash tray. Amazing show. My son still doesn't forgive me for not bringing him, especially since we had a perfect view of everything Zoltan, his drumming hero, was doing.
    Yup, they got stiffed.

I was listening to "Roine's Demo Bits" from Bridge Across Forever and noticed that some parts sound a lot like Send a Message from the Heart by Karmakanic. But the thing is, that song was written by Jonas Reingold and not by Roine Stolt. Interesting, don't you think?
    NG ~ BC ~ PA
    “Pointing out the problem doesn't make it go away!” —Mr. Enter

Space Revolver vinyl sounds great! Very smooth and full. Really really good!

Well, I've listened to both The Rainmaker and Space Revolver, they're both technically clear of the issues. I particularly liked Space Revolver, there were several memorable Flower Kings songs that I remembered on that album. As someone who only previously listened to these albums on MP3 before, I'm really happy to own them on CD and be able to give them the dedicated listens that I never really took the time with before. Next up is Unfold the Future, I already had this on CD before, so I will be listening to the original version. I also read that Adam & Eve is in the hopper now, Roine posted it on Twitter about a week ago.

^^^^^^
    Qobuz has Adam & Eve available for preorder with a February 3 release date. And a hi res (24/96) option will be available for that one, unlike Unfold the Future which is only available in CD quality.

The pattern so far is that Inside Out Music is making the single disc releases available in hi res, but the double disc releases only get CD quality. If this holds, then Paradox Hotel will only be available in CD quality--bummer, because that's my favorite Flower Kings album.

I wish they would release the bonus discs along with these re-releases, I know that Adam & Eve has a full 9 songs on the bonus disc. Would be nice to have these, I guess I should've bought the box set when it released a few years ago.

Roine’s site says the new release of Unfold the Future comes out this week. Is that true?

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    Roine’s site says the new release of Unfold the Future comes out this week. Is that true?
    Streets next Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    Streets next Friday.
    But Adam and Eve not for two more months? I thought they’ve been releasing these sets two at a time?

But Adam and Eve not for two more months? I thought they’ve been releasing these sets two at a time?
    With Unfold and Adam & Eve, it's only been one at a time now. They don't have all that many more albums to go after this, (Paradox Hotel, Sum of No Evil, Banks of Eden), so I guess they're not rushing through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mota View Post
    With Unfold and Adam & Eve, it's only been one at a time now. They don't have all that many more albums to go after this, (Paradox Hotel, Sum of No Evil, Banks of Eden), so I guess they're not rushing through it.
    I wonder if there’s any point in getting this 2022 version of Unfold the Future, since he just released a remixed Unfold the Future LP set just a couple years ago.

I wonder if there’s any point in getting this 2022 version of Unfold the Future, since he just released a remixed Unfold the Future LP set just a couple years ago.
    Indeed, it would be interesting to know if there are differences although it would make sense for Stolt to just reissue the version from a few years ago since the remixing and remastering job is already done.

So it appears the new edition of Unfold The Future on vinyl omits “Too Late For Tomatoes.”

Quote Originally Posted by Mota View Post
    I wish they would release the bonus discs along with these re-releases, I know that Adam & Eve has a full 9 songs on the bonus disc. Would be nice to have these, I guess I should've bought the box set when it released a few years ago.
    I ended up buying the box sets, because I didn't know these were coming out, and even though it cost me $345, I'm glad I got those instead of these, but I'm also curious about the differences.

New version: the beginning of "The Truth" sounds very different to me....like missing some shit (bass pedals, etc)....?

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    The only band shirt I have is from Nits. Alas it's worn out, but it still is somewhere in my closet.

So it appears the new edition of Unfold The Future on vinyl omits “Too Late For Tomatoes.”
    The vinyl version released a few years ago does in fact include Too Late for Tomatoes. As a "bonus track."

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    The only band shirt I have is from Nits. Alas it's worn out, but it still is somewhere in my closet.
    Sounds like a real piece of shirt!
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I have the original CD of Unfold the Future, and just listened to the 2022 version on Spotify. Overall, the sound definitely seems to be improved, some slight differences in the instrumentation that's highlighted. There were quite a few moments where there were sounds and instruments that I didn't hear on the original version (probably because they were lower in the mix). Overall I'm very happy with the new version, I may repurchase it on CD.

I also picked up Alive on Planet Earth on Discogs and Meet the Flower Kings on Amazon, one was used and one still new, but they were both in mint condition. Loved to hear Meet the Flower Kings with the more jazzy drumming, and having Daniel Gildenlow on vocals really helped to nail all those harmonies since he is so talented. It really was an excellent live album. The Truth Will Set You Free is an amazing song for sure, definitely one of the highlights.

Looking forward to buying Adam & Eve and Paradox Hotel from LaserCD!

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    New version: the beginning of "The Truth" sounds very different to me....like missing some shit (bass pedals, etc)....?
    There are definitely differences. Sounds like a re-recording rather than a remix. Different guitar parts. Slide guitar I didn't notice before. Bass is mixed lower than it was on the original CD I think re-recorded as well in parts. Definitely differences in the vocals.

I'm listening to it now and it most certainly sounds like different vocal and instrumental takes than the original which I must have listened to dozens of times and am familiar with.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

I'm glad I still have my original CD of Unfold the Future so I can continue to listen to the version of "Truth Will Set You Free" I enjoy rather than this remixed atrocity. Sadly, the only version available on Amazon Prime for listening is the remix - the original album nowhere in sight. There are two version of Stardust We Are on there so I wonder why that is.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet