Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: First Flower King Remasters Out Today

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    Let's get one thing straight - I'm not enraged over this because in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter. I listened to the remix. Didn't like it compared with the original. Said so. I'm just of the belief that my dislike of something is just as valid as someone's like. Art is subjective.
    Your dislike is certainly just as valid as anyone else's likes. I just interpreted your posts as perhaps being more forceful than you intended. My bad. We should definitely be able to express all views here.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Your dislike is certainly just as valid as anyone else's likes. I just interpreted your posts as perhaps being more forceful than you intended. My bad. We should definitely be able to express all views here.
    I'm a lifelong New Yorker pushing 60. I have two modes - ignore things as if they aren't there or aggressive. 2023 is a new year so I'll maybe find a balance.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Just picked up Space Revolver and Stardust; not really sure what’s been remixed versus just remastered. Crackle on the latter doesn’t really bother me all that much. Age related HF decline may have something to do with it. Low end on both seems improved/extended. Perhaps better clarity. Overall, I’m happy with both.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Well, I dunno... It's Roine's/TFK's baby, so if he feels inclined to make changes he has the right to do it. I'm interested in hearing the different versions at least (and in some instances the new mixes did offer improvement over the originals, like "Psychedelic Postcard").

I felt that way with the Hammill VDGG remsters from around 2007. I still think they sound good, but I know I'm in the minority

Just because someone can do a thing doesn't mean they should do it. If Paul McCartney wants to go back and pick take-6 of his bass part for "Paperback Writer", then it shouldn't replace the one everyone knows - it should be a bonus track/alternate version. Just leave well enough alone for songs people know.
    But the original version is already available, so don't listen to the new version. The artist can do whatever they want. The fans can too...except tell the artist what to do.

This I think is highly subjective. They might have magic for us because we are familiar with them. But for a new listener? They won't be dealing with the "impostor syndrome" that affects us upon hearing altered versions of familiar songs.

I'm having a hard time getting worked up about these remixes. I don't think it's going to cause Roine and the guys to miss out on getting new fans. The songs themselves I think are still strong enough to grab a listener who is interested in that kind of music.

The 2018 remixed edition of UTF didn't bother me at all; I like it. As a musician myself, it always irks me a little whenever fans say that an artist (regardless of their field) shouldn't revisit or change their past work. There are things I've recorded that I really wish I could go back and change (or remove), with the knowledge/experience I have now.

None of TFK's music is sacrosanct to me personally (and I have all the originals anyway). I may be in the minority of TFK fans, I dunno, but this feels like making a mountain out of a molehill. IMO.
    We are absolutely on the same page!

I love when people cry about "this is the only version" 😄 Really? How about the other thousands of original cds? If a new fan cares, they will find it

And no one here has said otherwise.

This is one of the points I was trying to make.

Some people like what Roine has done with the remixes. Saying that Roine should stop (or comparing him to George Lucas, which while funny is not exactly apt IMO) is taking it a step beyond just stating that you don't like something, and there are going to be people who disagree with you.
    People have become so entitled that they think their ideas or likes are more important than the people creating the music.

Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    People have become so entitled that they think their ideas or likes are more important than the people creating the music.
    I think people can like or dislike things and say so openly without being "entitled".

I think people can like or dislike things and say so openly without being "entitled".
    I meant when they actually cause a change in the artistic process. You see it a lot more in non musical areas of creativity.
    99% of the time, you can say whatever you want, and the artist will never know or care.

But as aith01and I have both stated, there are thousands of copies of the original versions, so these are easily avoided if you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    I meant when they actually cause a change in the artistic process. You see it a lot more in non musical areas of creativity.
    99% of the time, you can say whatever you want, and the artist will never know or care.
    I would hope that an artist of any kind would simply not be shattered by the criticism of a rando. In fact, I would expect an artist to have an I'll-do-as-I-please attitude regardless of critiques from me or a journalist or anyone.

I would hope that an artist of any kind would simply not be shattered by the criticism of a rando. In fact, I would expect an artist to have an I'll-do-as-I-please attitude regardless of critiques from me or a journalist or anyone.
    Yep, and that is what usually happens.
    The more social media gets involved in life, the more the masses of people have a possibility of influence.
    Don't pretend that it can't.
    Like I said, it mostly doesn't happen in music.

Personally I would've preferred if the new editions only contained remasters, no remixes. The remixes are mostly great IMHO, but they do stick out. It would've been better if the albums were either 100% remixes or 100% remasters.
    NG ~ BC ~ PA
    “Pointing out the problem doesn't make it go away!” —Mr. Enter

Did anyone here order Unfold the Future directly from Inside Out Music/Century Media? I'm curious if the digital download that comes with the physical packages is 16 bit or 24 bit. Qobuz sells the digital version of the album in 16/44.1 only.

Quote Originally Posted by Soc Prof View Post
    Did anyone here order Unfold the Future directly from Inside Out Music/Century Media? I'm curious if the digital download that comes with the physical packages is 16 bit or 24 bit. Qobuz sells the digital version of the album in 16/44.1 only.
    What's up with your obsession about Qobuz? It's crap and the worst part is that it's unavailable in many countries.
    NG ~ BC ~ PA

I see the new remix-remaster for Unfold the Future is missing “Too Late For Tomatoes.” Other than that, does anyone know if there’s any difference between this new version and the remix-remaster set that was released just five years ago for this title?

I didn't know a digital download came with physical purchase from IO. How is that given? Is there a special download code in each album/cd or do you get that in an email?

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    I see the new remix-remaster for Unfold the Future is missing “Too Late For Tomatoes.” Other than that, does anyone know if there’s any difference between this new version and the remix-remaster set that was released just five years ago for this title?
    Yes quite a bit more differences from 2017 although I would say 2017 was the starting point for the remixes that were then further modified. The changes are mostly for the better. Full versions of "Devil's Playground" and "Grand Old World" are included this time (although like 2017 Devil's is a remix which you may or may not like) and if you are listening to the vinyl version the track sequencing is done better. But yes too bad about missing "Too Late for Tomatoes"

Quote Originally Posted by Czyszy View Post
    What's up with your obsession about Qobuz? It's crap and the worst part is that it's unavailable in many countries.
    There are limited options for hi res downloads in the US. Qobuz is the best of them. HDtracks used to be better, but they drastically scaled back their catalog 2 years ago. I'm sorry that folks in Poland don't have more options.

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    I didn't know a digital download came with physical purchase from IO. How is that given? Is there a special download code in each album/cd or do you get that in an email?
    The website is short on details.
    https://centurymedia.store/product/Y...wnload?cp=null

If it was crap then wouldn't it be worse if it was available everywhere? I'm confused.

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    Yes quite a bit more differences from 2017 although I would say 2017 was the starting point for the remixes that were then further modified. The changes are mostly for the better. Full versions of "Devil's Playground" and "Grand Old World" are included this time (although like 2017 Devil's is a remix which you may or may not like) and if you are listening to the vinyl version the track sequencing is done better. But yes too bad about missing "Too Late for Tomatoes"
    Thank you for that, appreciated. Except now I have to shell out $40 for a second vinyl remix set of the same album! 🙃

The beginning of "The Devil's Playground" always reminded me of Shostakovich...like S8.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    If it was crap then wouldn't it be worse if it was available everywhere? I'm confused.
    It's crap BECAUSE of the country limitations.
    NG ~ BC ~ PA

It's crap BECAUSE of the country limitations.
    I went to highresaudio.com and got the following message:

I`m sorry!
    Dear HIGHRESAUDIO Visitor,
    due to territorial constraints and also different releases dates in each country you currently can`t purchase this album.

Yes, "territorial constraints" are crap.

There are limited options for hi res downloads in the US. Qobuz is the best of them. HDtracks used to be better, but they drastically scaled back their catalog 2 years ago. I'm sorry that folks in Poland don't have more options.
    InsideOut has always limited what they make available on HDTracks. I've never been able to download the Tangent. Or other bands less likely to sell than what they do make available.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    InsideOut has always limited what they make available on HDTracks. I've never been able to download the Tangent. Or other bands less likely to sell than what they do make available.
    I wonder if InsideOut is doing the limiting or if HDTracks is being selective in what they want to carry.

The one time that HDTracks came through is when they carried the 24 bit versions of the Back in the World of Adventures and Retropolis remixes. Qobuz only has these in 16 bit. No rhyme or reason that I can see.

Sure am glad I buy cds so I don't have all these horrible complications listening to music. Haha