Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: First Flower King Remasters Out Today

Full disclosure: I haven't even been listening to CD quality sound when comparing various versions of TFK albums. It's all been ripped to AAC files. I can still hear differences, lol.
    <sig out of order>

^^ Unlike the older and less advanced MP3, AAC+ isn't that far off from full CD quality.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I decided to get them all on cd. The remixes that I was able to sample were too tempting.

Quote Originally Posted by Czyszy View Post
    Dude, you have some kinda Hi-Res OCD. xD
    All you post here is related to Qobuz or hi-res audio. Does it really matter that something is not in Hi-Res? Can you REALLY hear the difference? I doubt it. I think it's 99% prejudice. When you can't hear that extra detail, it's not the end of the world. In the case of music production, it absolutely matters because you need the highest possible quality to get the best end result, but for listening to already pre-made music? No.
    I'm an audiophile so, yes, I am OCD about sound quality. My wife makes fun of me for this.

There is an endless debate on audio discussion boards about whether the perceived difference between 16 bit and 24 bit audio is real or imagined. My experience is that the difference can be real and substantial, but only if the equipment is of high enough quality. My stereo system from 20 years ago was not good enough to reveal much difference between CD and SACD. My current system makes the difference much more obvious.

I know there are at least a few other hi res fans on PE. But if you think CD is as good as it gets, then feel free to ignore my posts and hi res prog releases.

I just think CD is as good as I need to listen to.
    I'm not willing to spend excessive amounts on audio equipment or the time tweaking equipment to perfection, but I am willing to spend excessive amounts of money and time listening to new music ...or in this case, old music in new remix/mastering

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    ^^ Unlike the older and less advanced MP3, AAC+ isn't that far off from full CD quality.
    Well that's my experience as well, but I don't claim to have Superman-like hearing or whatever.
    <sig out of order>

^^ More objectively, an 80Kbps AAC+ internet stream sounds every bit as good as a 128K MP3 stream. If not a little better. In the same way, and for the same reason Full HD Mpeg-4 video can be the same file size as, or smaller than Mpeg-2 DVD video. And still look much better than DVD video.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I'm giving Starbucks We Are another spin....aside from the crackle/pops at times, this new version is much better sonically especially in the drums. Warmer, fuller sound on the kick drum, snare, cymbals, etc....generally the entire album has any harshness toned down and the frequency response is improved. Great job Mr Roine on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I'm giving Starbucks We Are another spin....aside from the crackle/pops at times, this new version is much better sonically especially in the drums. Warmer, fuller sound on the kick drum, snare, cymbals, etc....generally the entire album has any harshness toned down and the frequency response is improved. Great job Mr Roine on this one.
    I bought it knowing about the clicks.
    Really glad I bout them all. Just had my 6 cd Laser CD order ship today

I really enjoyed Adam & Eve, a lot more than I originally did. I think this is around the time that I lost interest in the band originally. Love Supreme in particular really impressed me, and I thought it sounded much better, but it turns out it wasn't even one of the remixed tracks!
    I didn't rebuy Flower Power and Unfold the Future because I already had the CD's, but Plasmatopia pointed out that these are probably the two albums with the most improvement, so maybe I'll splurge and get them anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Mota View Post
    I really enjoyed Adam & Eve, a lot more than I originally did. I think this is around the time that I lost interest in the band originally. Love Supreme in particular really impressed me, and I thought it sounded much better, but it turns out it wasn't even one of the remixed tracks!
    I didn't rebuy Flower Power and Unfold the Future because I already had the CD's, but Plasmatopia pointed out that these are probably the two albums with the most improvement, so maybe I'll splurge and get them anyways.
    I hope you like them. I noticed a few people here didn't seem to like the new UTF so I guess we all hear things differently or have our own preferences.
    <sig out of order>

I'm giving Starbucks We Are another spin...
    A small one, a normal one, or a big one?

Listening to "The Truth will set you free" for maybe the 5th time since Sunday, and wow is the bass the star of the song

Well... I just ordered the colored vinyl editions of UTF and Stardust from the InsideOut EU shop. I held out for a while, but these latest comments made me give in finally.

I'm looking forward to hearing them.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    Listening to "The Truth will set you free" for maybe the 5th time since Sunday, and wow is the bass the star of the song
    Jonas R has the Jaco 16th note funky fuckin chicken thing down to a Tee! The guy is a badass cat.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Well... I just ordered the colored vinyl editions of UTF and Stardust from the InsideOut EU shop. I held out for a while, but these latest comments made me give in finally.

I'm looking forward to hearing them.
    The cds were too tempting for me. I'm glad you got the vinyl. Is this the first time you had them on vinyl?
    The mixes and different things on UTF are cool

The cds were too tempting for me. I'm glad you got the vinyl. Is this the first time you had them on vinyl?
    The mixes and different things on UTF are cool
    I got the 2017 mix of UTF on blue vinyl when it came out, and the previous edition of Stardust from several years back, so it's not entirely new. But having the CDs come with the LPs is a nice bonus.

Oh yeah, and Jonas is flippin' awesome on bass! You're right Frank, he really nails the Jaco sound.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

I’m not terribly familiar with Unfold The Future. But the process of listening to these three different versions of such a mammoth work, to figure out which one is the keeper, seems very daunting to me right now. ha ha.

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    I’m not terribly familiar with Unfold The Future. But the process of listening to these three different versions of such a mammoth work, to figure out which one is the keeper, seems very daunting to me right now. ha ha.
    Easy, keep them all!

Easy, keep them all!
    Exactly.

I’ve already listened to the original a bunch so I don’t really need to do serious side by side comparisons for my own personal use.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Exactly.

I’ve already listened to the original a bunch so I don’t really need to do serious side by side comparisons for my own personal use.
    What are your thoughts on Sea Within, Anderson/ Stolt, and Transatlantic?
    I have to revisit the first two, but that last Transatlantic was the album that made me dive headfirst into a LOT of prog that I had ignored before. I am looking forward to the new live cd/blu-ray set.
    IQ are another band that I can't believe I ignored for so long too.

Jonas R has the Jaco 16th note funky fuckin chicken thing down to a Tee! The guy is a badass cat.
    Oh yeah! And listening to Black & White plus Silent Inferno is like an entire bass clinic.
    <sig out of order>

I have to revisit the first two, but that last Transatlantic was the album that made me dive headfirst into a LOT of prog that I had ignored before. I am looking forward to the new live cd/blu-ray set.
    IQ are another band that I can't believe I ignored for so long too.
    Sea Within was really good! I love Daniel Gildenlow's voice, it's one of the best at conveying emotion.

Transatlantic is one of my favorite bands of all time. I've met Mike Portnoy once, and Neal Morse as well. As with the Flower Kings, they could benefit from a bit of editing on those 30 minute songs, but I love the journey that they take you on, it's a completely different experience than your typical 4 minute songs. I'm also looking forward to the Final Flight album, but it will be heart breaking as it's likely their final performance.

I really liked the Sea Within album and interviewed Roine for it at the time. He was very enthusiastic about it but I suppose its lack of success was disappointing enough that it fell by the wayside. As much as I want to, I've never been able to get into the Anderson/Stolt album. I find it an exhausting listen and one that I barely remember anything about once it is over. I try it again every so often but rarely manage a beginning to end listen. Transatlantic have always been a winner with me and both times I saw them live were excellent. Nowadays the Morse/Portnoy formula has worn thin though, so TA gets fewer spins now than they did 15 or so years ago. That said, I did listen recently to their new live release Final Flight, which is typically lengthy but full of great playing and a lot of memorable melodies.

I still prefer The Flower Kings the most when it comes to the artists under this general umbrella.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I really liked the Sea Within album and interviewed Roine for it at the time. He was very enthusiastic about it but I suppose its lack of success was disappointing enough that it fell by the wayside. As much as I want to, I've never been able to get into the Anderson/Stolt album. I find it an exhausting listen and one that I barely remember anything about once it is over. I try it again every so often but rarely manage a beginning to end listen. Transatlantic have always been a winner with me and both times I saw them live were excellent. Nowadays the Morse/Portnoy formula has worn thin though, so TA gets fewer spins now than they did 15 or so years ago. That said, I did listen recently to their new live release Final Flight, which is typically lengthy but full of great playing and a lot of memorable melodies.

I still prefer The Flower Kings the most when it comes to the artists under this general umbrella.
    I think the Sea Within was a very strong album. Kind of a shame about the vocalist situation. Nothing against Casey, but I wish they could find a single vocalist who could handle it all and do another album.

I feel you on the Anderson/Stolt album. It is a bit much to take all in one sitting. I usually divide that one in two and either listen to the first half or start at Chase And Harmony and listen to the end.
    <sig out of order>