Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: First Flower King Remasters Out Today

Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    What are your thoughts on Sea Within, Anderson/ Stolt, and Transatlantic?
    I have to revisit the first two, but that last Transatlantic was the album that made me dive headfirst into a LOT of prog that I had ignored before. I am looking forward to the new live cd/blu-ray set.
    IQ are another band that I can't believe I ignored for so long too.
    The Sea Within I thought was good, although the album was a bit uneven for me. But it had some really strong music and performances, and I wish there had been a follow-up. Transatlantic I really enjoy when I'm in the mood for it, and The Absolute Universe I think might be one of my favorite "prog" releases in the past 10 years. They're a bit excessive, but they can be fun.

The Anderson/Stolt disc took me a while, but I eventually came around to it. "Everybody Heals" is my favorite piece from that album, but I do enjoy most of it. It has been a while since I spun it. I should dust it off and listen again!

Like Lorne above said, The Flower Kings are my favorite of these bands/artists.

Glad you're finding some more music you're enjoying. Better late than never!
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Paradox Hotel just announced for April 14.

This thread has me checking out FK music for the first time in a loooooong time.

So I'm in the middle of Unfold the Future, and "The Truth" is really different and improved in my view. He really jacked up Jonas's bass which can only be a great thing...it really drives this stuff even more now. TONS of eyebrows in this music (percussion, synths, bells and whistles) and everything is just 'there'. The mix is truly phenomenal. I always loved that dark orchestral section with chromatic harmonies which always gave me a late German Romantic vibe a la Wagner Ring and/or Mahler...for me at least.

The one tune I think he overbaked and added to many ingredients and spices/herbs is "Road to Sanctuary" on Rainmaker. I just prefer the original, but pretty much everything else seems to be artistic and fresh sounding. This guy has an intense work ethic approaching FZ at times. It's nice to hear this stuff after so many years.

So....a resounding YES for me with these remixes.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Gotta say that "Road to Sanctuary" is flat-out bizarre on this remix. It's my fav tune from Rainmaker and Roine does some VERY, VERY odd shit with it...the synth with his voice when he sings that tender part is....ummm.....just strange.
    It's also interesting that you can hear some crackling during this part. I wonder if that was added in on purpose?
    <sig out of order>

I'm watching "Meet the Flower Kings" video. As a fairly new FK fan, please point out songs where Hasse Bruniusson percussion is an integral part of a song. Even on "Truth will set you free", the the extra percussion that is awesome and would be missed, is played by Daniel Gildenlöw.

Also, it took me a while to really enjoy Roine's vocals, but I really like them, because he's so different.
    But my God is Hasse Fröberg an amazing vocalist! Especially on Truth will set you free

^^ Bruniusson's percussion is highly integral to Circus Brimstone.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I will give that a listen. Thanks

I'm watching "Meet the Flower Kings" video. As a fairly new FK fan, please point out songs where Hasse Bruniusson percussion is an integral part of a song. Even on "Truth will set you free", the the extra percussion that is awesome and would be missed, is played by Daniel Gildenlöw.

Also, it took me a while to really enjoy Roine's vocals, but I really like them, because he's so different.
    But my God is Hasse Fröberg an amazing vocalist! Especially on Truth will set you free
    Other than Roine, Hasse is integral to TFK. I don't think you can have a Flower Kings without either of the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Mota View Post
    Other than Roine, Hasse is integral to TFK. I don't think you can have a Flower Kings without either of the two.
    If you are talking about the singer/guitar player named Hasse, then I agree.
    If you mean the percussionist named Hasse, I think he's pretty superfluous.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Don't forget about An Alchemist's Manifesto -- I forget exactly how that one was billed, but it's an FK album with slightly different personnel. I like this one.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Don't forget about An Alchemist's Manifesto -- I forget exactly how that one was billed, but it's an FK album with slightly different personnel. I like this one.
    I have that too. I'm making my way through the discography. On Adam & Eve next

The Flower Kings is my favorite post-1970s artist. But I’d be more than happy if Hasse’s vocals were utilized half as much as they are.

Fans of Hasse's voice would do well to check out his other project Musical Companion. Solid symph prog stuff very much in the TFK vein.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Adam and Eve sounds great!

Any info if the Paradox Hotel is partially remixed and remastered?
    All I can see is that it's a reissue?

Oops, found the answer to both is yes.

Paradox Hotel out today. As was the case for the other 2 CD remasters, the digital version has a maximum resolution of 16/44.1.

If you are talking about the singer/guitar player named Hasse, then I agree.
    If you mean the percussionist named Hasse, I think he's pretty superfluous.
    All I know is that the first album he was absent on, I noticed right away. I think he adds a lot, in the way of "eyebrows" or "bell and whistles" (literally, I guess). That said, I notice his absence a lot less in a live setting.

Any thoughts on the new remaster and partial remix of Paradox Hotel?
    I had to wait on getting this one

The Sum of No Evil has been announced for June 23.

At this point, it's not clear whether it will get a hi res release (which would fit with the pattern of previous single CD albums). Qobuz is only listing the album in 16/44.1, but I'll wait to see what HDtracks does.

Quote Originally Posted by Soc Prof View Post
    The Sum of No Evil has been announced for June 23.
    I don't know if there was anything they could do with warming up the sound on this one but the production always sounded antiseptic to me. Like a white room with white furniture lit by a 3000W bulb.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    I don't know if there was anything they could do with warming up the sound on this one but the production always sounded antiseptic to me. Like a white room with white furniture lit by a 3000W bulb.
    I have the box set version and the new 2023 version. I just got the new one from Laser CD on friday, I'll have to A/B them to find out if there is a difference.

I have the box set version and the new 2023 version. I just got the new one from Laser CD on friday, I'll have to A/B them to find out if there is a difference.
    I thought it’s not released for two more months?

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    I thought it’s not released for two more months?
    Oops, sorry, I was thinking Paradox Hotel. But I will do Sum of no evil when it's out

I was just browsing The Flower Kings offerings on Qobuz and noticed that the remaster of Unfold the Future in now available in 24/96. This is the first time any of the 2 CD remasters have been available in hi res. Why now and not when it first came out in December 2022? I gave up trying to figure on Inside Out Music. Only they know. But I decided to buy and download it before they change their mind!

I checked HDtracks, and they are not selling this. Ditto for Highresaudio.com.