Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: First Flower King Remasters Out Today

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    ^ It's a real shame that two outstanding albums have that issue. I still can't believe how this mix/master was OKed and given the green light...
    Two?
    <sig out of order>

I just had an official aswer from Burning Shed about the glitches and the pops on the Stardust We Are remasters:

"Hi Emanuele,
    Thanks for your email.
    We haven’t had any similar complaints so it may be a small batch of them.
    We would recommend returning it to the shop you purchased it from and see if they have another copy!"

Two other users have complained about the same thing here. I'm in Italy, they're in Europe, I'm not sure it's just a small batch.

Well since the small amount of units affected is also the version they have on Spotify, I don't think it's a one time defect.

Quote Originally Posted by Mota View Post
    Well since the small amount of units affected is also the version they have on Spotify, I don't think it's a one time defect.
    I just seen the original Roine's words about it on the Steve Hoffman Forum:

"Mixes and remasters derived from almost 25 year old tapes ........go figure. ( I'm a musician - not a magician..... ) - Generally speaking these remasters are so much better (imho) - or your system(s) are not good enough to reveal the difference ....."

Quote Originally Posted by Sterbus View Post

"Mixes and remasters derived from almost 25 year old tapes ........go figure. ( I'm a musician - not a magician..... ) - Generally speaking these remasters are so much better (imho) - or your system(s) are not good enough to reveal the difference ....."
    The good old "Eddie Jobson defense"; your hi-fi equipment is just crappy.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    The good old "Eddie Jobson defense"; your hi-fi equipment is just crappy.
    When you can hear the pops IN THE TRAFFIC OF ROME IN YOUR 2002 OLD FIAT PUNTO WITH OPEN WINDOWS it means that they are loud enough to be heard!

Sounds like he was answering a different question. My comments (scroll up) came directly from Roine and he acknowledged the issue despite (at least at the time) not having yet heard the problem himself.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Two?
    I was thinking Flower Power too...just Stardust? I honestly can't remember.

When you can hear the pops IN THE TRAFFIC OF ROME IN YOUR 2002 OLD FIAT PUNTO WITH OPEN WINDOWS it means that they are loud enough to be heard!

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I was thinking Flower Power too...just Stardust? I honestly can't remember.
    I've heard Flower Power and thought it sounded fine.
    <sig out of order>

Ok, for those who may care to know more, I called the record shop where I brought back my copy of Stardust We Are. They told me they sent it to the label, but they said "we hear no errors, the cd is fine". So I got no other option to come back and having it replaced from another one from the same batch, with probably the same glitches. Cool. They could'nt care less of me saying that lots of other people had the same troubles and that even Burning Shed acknowledged it, OK.

I'm glad I went with getting the 2 boxets so I don't have to deal with the glitches and noise

And now we move onto Space Revolver and The Rainmaker, both were re-released on Spotify today. I know my CD order from Amazon.ca isn't supposed to ship until Nov 18th.

^^^^^
    I just got the 24/96 downloads from Qobuz. I'll report back after I've had a chance to listen to them.

FWIW, the Flower Power and Retropolis discs sounded okay to me. I didn't notice the kind of sonic glitches that were on Stardust.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Okay, I listened to all of Space Revolver, and I'm most of the way through The Rainmaker. So far, no "vinyl noise" pops or other glitches. Subjectively, the sound quality is good, but not quite as good as a recent 24/96 recording.

Putting tracks from both albums through Audirvana Origin's HD Analyzer, it verified the tracks as authentic HD (24 bit), but estimated that the actual bandwidth was about 22 khz, indicated a sampling rate of 44.1 Khz. The 96khz sampling rate of the downloads is thus an upsample.

I took another look at the liner notes of both albums, and it appears that the band made the original recordings with Emagic software. This indicates digital recordings rather than transfers from analog tapes, as was the case with their earliest albums.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^^ Interesting post. Good audio-detective work.

Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    I'm glad I went with getting the 2 boxets so I don't have to deal with the glitches and noise
    Yeah, that's the ticket! Me too. I am, really.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    ^^ Interesting post. Good audio-detective work.

Yeah, that's the ticket! Me too. I am, really.
    Price wise, these would have been cheaper, because I bought them after they went out of print. But the boxes are really nice and those booklets are fantastic!
    I have the Enchant one too

Quote Originally Posted by Mota View Post
    And now we move onto Space Revolver and The Rainmaker, both were re-released on Spotify today. I know my CD order from Amazon.ca isn't supposed to ship until Nov 18th.
    My two most fave albums from TFK. I think The Rainmaker original cd already sounds fantastic but SR is not so good sound wise. Would love to know if it is worth upgrading.

Quote Originally Posted by Soc Prof View Post
    Okay, I listened to all of Space Revolver, and I'm most of the way through The Rainmaker. So far, no "vinyl noise" pops or other glitches.
    Do you have the chance to ckeck Stardust we Are too? That's the "faulty" one I bought ---

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    For whatever reason, Inside Out Music did not release either Stardust We Are or Flowerpower in hi res. So I just listen to my original edition CD copies.

^^^ The vinyl version of Stardust released a few years ago sounds considerably better than the original CD.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I don't think anyone has mentioned this, but the Back in the World of Adventures reissue has a short segment with "vinyl noise" around 2:50 in the opening track. The last track has at least two places where the white noise gets very noticeable. Overall, though, I think it sounds pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Soc Prof View Post
    I don't think anyone has mentioned this, but the Back in the World of Adventures reissue has a short segment with "vinyl noise" around 2:50 in the opening track. The last track has at least two places where the white noise gets very noticeable. Overall, though, I think it sounds pretty good.
    The segment on the opening track with the noise at around the 2:50 mark also exists on the original cd version, unfortunately. I just checked that.

Ed
    ---------------------------------------------
    https://www.myriadtrio.com
    https://www.facebook.com/MyriadtrioNY

^^^^^^^^
    Thanks. I'll check that out, and also see if the white noise was on the original CD.

The vinyl sound effect was an artistic choice added in to the song "World of Adventures" during that quiet moment, to go with the lyrics about Woodstock etc, to simulate you were listening to an old album - it's not a mistake and as said is on the original.

The white noise / hissing sounds in "Big Puzzle" at the beginning and also very clearly at the 6:07 mark is NOT on the original release and is only on the 2022 remaster/remix.