Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Peter Gabriel's New Album Finally Going To Be Released

It plays fine where I'm at (Korea), but I guess y'all just have to wait...

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    It plays fine where I'm at (Korea), but I guess y'all just have to wait...
    Well, we've waited 20 years, what's another few hours?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Sounds familiar, yet fresh.

Ember
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Sounds familiar, yet fresh.
    A good description. And the voice seems to be 95% still there, which is kind of amazing.
    "I have not yet begun to procrastinate."

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    The first single Panopticom...

Just had my 1st listen and it's good but really not a fantastic single attempt, if you stack it against the numerous hits he has had.

You can't really fault his vox or the production but I feel it's missing the hooky qualities a memorable single needs. A fine album track perhaps?
    Looking forward to hearing the album.

Ember
    Maybe, after all this time, he thought he should put out something that sounds like a PG song, just to refresh the market's memory.
    "I have not yet begun to procrastinate."

I like it, don't love it. But I don't think the lead single from any of PG's albums since III has ended up being THE track for me. So it's all good. Happy to hear he still has something to share, and am looking forward to hearing the balance in due time.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

His voice on this track sounds like the early 77-78 solo days. I love it !

Quote Originally Posted by Flightwave View Post
    His voice on this track sounds like the early 77-78 solo days. I love it!
    Maybe the vocal on the new track was actually recorded back then...

I like it. His voice sounds strong, and it's great to hear TLev and Manu Katché crushing it in the rhythm section again!
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

I'm in the "liking but not immediately loving it" category, though it's growing on me with subsequent listens.

It does crack me up that the title is a bit of wordplay that probably 99% of the audience isn't going to get (at least in America; maybe the Panopticon is much ingrained in British culture?).

I quite like it. On first listen I was finding it rather average, but by the end I was hooked and wanted to spin it a couple more times.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by dpt3 View Post
    I'm in the "liking but not immediately loving it" category, though it's growing on me with subsequent listens.

It does crack me up that the title is a bit of wordplay that probably 99% of the audience isn't going to get (at least in America; maybe the Panopticon is much ingrained in British culture?).
    Interesting. As a non-native English speaker I'm wondering what the worplay is. Could you shed some light, please?

Well, Levin is absolutely all over this, and I love those licks throughout. I like the track, and I think that repeated listens will bring greater pleasure. It is interesting, there is certainly more than a hint of late ‘60’s influences there, and his voice sounds pretty much as I had hoped.
    I review and blog at www.lazland.org

Quote Originally Posted by Conti View Post
    Interesting. As a non-native English speaker I'm wondering what the worplay is. Could you shed some light, please?

A panopticon was a circular prison cell from which warders could view the movements of all inmates at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by lazland View Post
    A panopticon was a circular prison cell from which warders could view the movements of all inmates at all times.
    Thank you very much!

All I can say is…

O

M

G

!!!

I dig it.

A nice track, though the ending is a bit suddenly. Not really a memorable single though.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Put me in the camp of LOVE IT!!!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Yeah, so the basic idea seems to be an analogy between our modern communications networks and the Panopticon. We're all always (at least potentially) being watched, which can have both positive and negative consequences.

It's actually fairly clever, but I'm a guessing a bit obscure for the average listener.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    On my 5th listen now. I can hardly wait to hear the full release!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Although the track is called Panopticom - ending with an M - there seems to be no such word, can only assume its deliberate wordplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Although the track is called Panopticom - ending with an M - there seems to be no such word, can only assume its deliberate wordplay.
    Without a shadow of a doubt. I think it is a very clever commentary on modern day media and state surveillance, but I need to listen a few more times.

Nothing special but an enjoyable song. PG still sounds fine and I kinda like the organic sound of the tune.

Looking forward to the album.